PDA

View Full Version : Don't tune and Drive! FastEddi look here!

EagleMark
03-31-2012, 05:37 AM
OK so the guy probably wasn't tuning but this is how fast your lights can go out!

http://rmirror.net/r/videos/comments/q5hu9/car_accident_nsfl/

1project2many
03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Son says "That car broke." I guess. There's a lot of foolishness here during the winter. As soon as that truck started dancing I wanted to throw it in nuetral. But you can see, if you know winter driving, the driver failed to let off the throttle. Other than being impressed with the driver of the cube van, there's not much that I want to see there again.

EagleMark
03-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Son says "That car broke."that's cute, how old is he?

Yeah hindsight is always 20/20, I've seen a car hit slush just as he passed me and I was slowing down because the lane he was in was not clear... he swayed and overcorrected and slid right in front of me off the road. No one hurt but if I didn't slow down when I saw him passing he would have hit me too!

Moral of this story is PAY ATTENTION! This is how fast things can happen to end your life.

I don't want to admit how many times I have drifted lanes while tuning... :rolleye: and now have my routine of driving, parking lot, driving exit ramp, driving exit ramp, driving parking lot, driving and home. 20 minutes I have several logs, do my thing, rinse and repeat. But no more looking at laptop dashboards while driving and drifting into other lanes!

RobertISaar
03-31-2012, 07:53 PM
if i'm looking at the laptop, it's because i'm either the passenger or stopped somewhere.

EagleMark
03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
See the results of doing that? Your still alive! :thumbsup:

Six_Shooter
03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
That video was from Russia IIRC. The story goes that the tires on that vehicle weren't the greatest for driving in heat, let alone slush.

While I don't condone watching things other than the road and gauges while tuning, I have set-up certain dashes to make specific things easy to read, at a glance. The other thing that is nice, is the Tuner View II stuck ontop of my dash, unfortunately, the GM support is limited, and doesn't sound like it will ever be updated... I need to get my Arduino knowledge up and build my own.

EagleMark
03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
That TunerVeiw thing you have would be a nice option if it could be configured for all ECM/PCM! I like what that guy is doing on TunerPro forum with his video monitor and dashboard from TunerPro in his motorhome. A tiny notebook on dash would be nice as well if TunerPro could output data to it and you could customize the dash to have a few big things you need to glance at while driving....

fasteddi
03-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Holy crap that video was something. Crist that makes me not wana drive my car..lol. But I do take it seriously. I fixed the camera on the steering wheel and get my brother to go with me as much as possible when tuning.
The only time I look at the lap top way too much is when I have the Spark Retard on the screen. It fills up the whole screen with just that value so its very large and easy to glance at when. Im being mre safe as Ive continued to ttune.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Is a nice option of TunerPro you can make a full screen dashboard of one value to make it a SHORT glance! I actually have about 12 dashboards in some of my ADX files because of that.

JeepsAndGuns
04-01-2012, 02:12 AM
That video is horriable, unbelievable how quickly and easaly that suv explodes. I dont see how there could be any chance of surviving that. Watching movies is one thing, but seing something like that and knowing its real is not fun to watch.

I usally have the laptop open on the seat next to me, but usally dont look at it unless I have to. When there is a time I need to carefully watch the screen while driving, I drive to a remote location. There are a few dead end, unused roads near me. Plus a few miles away there is a vary large empty parking lot from a old walmart. I go to these locations, as I am un hindered by traffic and can take my time.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 02:43 AM
You can datalog and stop vehicle and watch the datalog!

I'd really like everyone to see this video! Then think of it while your driving and tuning, then learn how to datalog and park and watch what you just did! My goal was to get FastEddi to watch it because of all his videos.

What I really want to not happen is to ever loose someone because they were tuning while driving! :thumbsup:

fasteddi
04-01-2012, 03:28 AM
You can datalog and stop vehicle and watch the datalog!

I'd really like everyone to see this video! Then think of it while your driving and tuning, then learn how to datalog and park and watch what you just did! My goal was to get FastEddi to watch it because of all his videos.

What I really want to not happen is to ever loose someone because they were tuning while driving! :thumbsup:

I will stop and watch the log play back after the run. I dont wana get hurt either and your really just opened my eyes on that. Thanks eaglemark!
Im just so conserned that the car is not tuned properly(im still new at this and dont wana kill the car) thats why I am constantly looking at the laptop, mainly for KR. But also dont wana kill myself in the process so ill break that habit!

RobertISaar
04-01-2012, 03:57 AM
fun tip for anyone who doesn't know about it already:

press F8 with the dash open. :)

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 04:24 AM
fun tip for anyone who doesn't know about it already:

press F8 with the dash open. :)Nice! I had to open TunerPro and try! :rockon:

Now FastEddi can make a new dashboard with one Knock Retard gauge and press F8!

gregs78cam
04-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Is that the shortcut to full screen? Double click the dash header does the same thing.

RobertISaar
04-01-2012, 05:56 AM
actually, it's slightly different.

double-clicking basically locks the screen to whatever view is open when it is done. hitting F8, you can still choose between dash/item list/monitors/etc.

otherwise, almost the same thing.

fasteddi
04-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Is that the shortcut to full screen? Double click the dash header does the same thing.

I new that one, but I only could get the KR to be full screen, but really when im on it WOT thats what is most important to me.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 07:34 AM
What like this?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2078&stc=1&d=1333254829

fasteddi
04-01-2012, 03:16 PM
What like this?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2078&stc=1&d=1333254829

yup but its just digital instead of a anolog view.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Just post your ADX and I'll make you one. I just don't have time to do a tutorial write up right now but it's so easy even a caveman can do it...

EDIT: See...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=2079&stc=1&d=1333283520

Six_Shooter
04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
That's what he's using...

$59 ADXs have that knock gauge in them.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
One gauge for the entire dashboard?

Six_Shooter
04-01-2012, 08:12 PM
One gauge for the entire dashboard?

Yep.

fasteddi
04-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Yep.

Yup, six is right on. This is one thing I really like about the ADX. I almost always use this screen when im going WOT and have confidence in the tune. The color also changes on the numbers so you dont have to look very long to know if you need to let off the gas or just keep going.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 09:13 PM
If you learn how to set up the alarm for values in, Acqusision, Edit Definition and find the value, you can see where alarm is checked and at what reading.

Then go into the Dash Board and choose the value/paremeter/gauge and set the color for high alarm or low alarm.

fasteddi
04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
If you learn how to set up the alarm for values in, Acqusision, Edit Definition and find the value, you can see where alarm is checked and at what reading.

Then go into the Dash Board and choose the value/paremeter/gauge and set the color for high alarm or low alarm.

Ok i see what your talking about, mine was set at 4 degrees. Im going to change that to 2 degrees. Thanks for the tips eaglemark! Actually wait a second, my low alarm is set to 0 and the high to 4 degrees. The low value is NOT enabled. If I change the low alarm to say 2 degrees, it will then be yellow on once that value is reached then red when the other is. I sure wish there was a way to set it up so it would make a sound when you reached a predetermined value.

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 09:30 PM
The low alarm would not be used for this Knock Retard value as it will always be 0, so not set. But high alarm set and to what number is where it would change color.

Never thought of an audible alarm to go off with it, that would be a cool update for TunerPro.

fasteddi
04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
The low alarm would not be used for this Knock Retard value as it will always be 0, so not set. But high alarm set and to what number is where it would change color.

Never thought of an audible alarm to go off with it, that would be a cool update for TunerPro.
Ok thanks! Yes a audiable sound would really be cool, I wish I knew more about programing as im sure theres a way to do it somehow.

Also just to add Im pretty much convinced that my torq converter is getting worse and worse, slipping bad and stalling higher then its suppose to. This car is a $$ pit!!:mad1:

EagleMark
04-02-2012, 02:09 AM
I already sent Mark at TunerPro a message suggesting the audible alarm on your behalf as I thought it'd be a cool upgrade for future versions.

All cars are money pits, more HP the bigger the pit.

May get lucky on tranny and just need a part, service, synthetic fluid, cooler and a shift kit! :laugh:

RobertISaar
04-02-2012, 02:14 AM
the only potential problem i see with an audible alarm would be if a lot of alarms are going off at once....

should TP use unique alarms for each item? if so, what happens when one alarm that supercedes another, does it cut off? does it overdub?

i admit, knock would be what i would be (very) interested in, everything else could be kind of annoying... well, maybe an excessively lean or rich condition going on would be good to know about as well, but those are the only big ones i would be using.

fasteddi
04-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Yea personally id really think the knock would be the best thing to have a alarm. Thats a great thing if they could somehow mod. the software. If you could toggle the alarms that would also be a nice option.As as you guys said if all the alarms were going off at one time it would be a mess, but also lets ya know LET OFF THE GAS!

And yes cars are such a $ pit. Tommorow im off to get a 2500 stall conv, I wounder how long the rest of the drivetrain will last??

EagleMark
04-02-2012, 05:36 AM
the only potential problem i see with an audible alarm would be if a lot of alarms are going off at once....

should TP use unique alarms for each item? if so, what happens when one alarm that supercedes another, does it cut off? does it overdub?

i admit, knock would be what i would be (very) interested in, everything else could be kind of annoying... well, maybe an excessively lean or rich condition going on would be good to know about as well, but those are the only big ones i would be using.It would force people to set up their ADX properly or turn off alarms! But in reality I guess Knock and lean would be the 2 key players. Next in line would be error codes. Some things just natually bump into the alarm threshold like if the box is checked for bitmask switches. So Having it the way it is but adding an audible alarm checkbox would be goal.

black dawg
05-06-2012, 11:40 PM
that was crazy! any bets if the cruise was on?

1project2many
05-07-2012, 02:29 AM
If the cruise was on in that weather it would take stupid to a whole new low.