PDA

View Full Version : Something is happening here

JeepsAndGuns
03-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Something is happening. Might have something to do with this:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?534-Getting-closer...

But I'm not sure :innocent2:

:jfj:

93V8S10
03-25-2012, 03:59 AM
....what it is, ain't exactly clear.....

one92rs
03-25-2012, 04:27 PM
your not finished yet???

EagleMark
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
your not finished yet???:laugh:

I was thinking something is missing here!!!

JeepsAndGuns
03-26-2012, 03:04 AM
We wont talk about saturday. I had to work half a day (was supposed to be off) looked at a mower for a guy and it caught on fire (dont ask) Didnt get to start on it till 2-3. Then once everything was apart it started getting cloudy and looking like rain!
Just wasnt my day.

Started this morning, ran the fuel lines, throttle cable was a PITA, had to do some modding to get it to work. Had to put on the new end for the tps, iac wires were too short, had to extend them, the wind kept blowing out the small pencil torch I was using to soder the wires and heat shrink them. Had to move some wires and re mount the coil, that was another pita. Found a heater hose was rubbing the battery tray and almost rubbed a hole in it. Had to change that out. And that was a PITA. Ended up having to take out the alt and brackets to get to it cause it the hose that goes to the water pump.
And then to top it all off, my idea for a air intake was a complete failure. Way too tall, I thought it wasnt going to be, but it was. So I am back to square one with the intake elbow. Gotta figure something out. Cant drive it with no air filter.:mad1:

FSJ Guy
03-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Ummm... Take the hood off?? :D

You made a lot of progress! I bet it's satisfying to see it come together like this!

EagleMark
03-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Looks cool!

You oil fill is up about a foot and you don't have engough room for air filter?

JeepsAndGuns
03-26-2012, 03:42 AM
Yep, thats kinda my marker. As it just barely kisses the hood when shut. So I cant go any higher than that.

gregs78cam
03-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Looks like you need a drop base air cleaner with a 4" hole instead of a 5 1/8"

JeepsAndGuns
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
The opening is roughly 3.5in. I can take a peice of 3.5 ID rubber tubing and slip it over the lip without much fuss. I have a couple more ideas floating around, but not sure if I will have the time to make any of them this week. Might have to just wait again untill this weekend.
grrr

JeepsAndGuns
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I need this right here! I have tried google with no luck! All the aftermarket air intake systems for the year model trucks this TB came off of, use the original elbow, and a factory elbow is not gonna work. It also has to clamp down on the lip like this one does.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=361&d=1321274786

PJG1173
03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
We wont talk about saturday. I had to work half a day (was supposed to be off) looked at a mower for a guy and it caught on fire (dont ask) Didnt get to start on it till 2-3. Then once everything was apart it started getting cloudy and looking like rain!
Just wasnt my day.

Started this morning, ran the fuel lines, throttle cable was a PITA, had to do some modding to get it to work. Had to put on the new end for the tps, iac wires were too short, had to extend them, the wind kept blowing out the small pencil torch I was using to soder the wires and heat shrink them. Had to move some wires and re mount the coil, that was another pita. Found a heater hose was rubbing the battery tray and almost rubbed a hole in it. Had to change that out. And that was a PITA. Ended up having to take out the alt and brackets to get to it cause it the hose that goes to the water pump.
And then to top it all off, my idea for a air intake was a complete failure. Way too tall, I thought it wasnt going to be, but it was. So I am back to square one with the intake elbow. Gotta figure something out. Cant drive it with no air filter.:mad1:

Ive been trying to view this image for like the last 5 min to see what your talking about. It just won't open for me. does it not have a lip to attach a rubber sleve to? I usually get ruber couplers for PVC pipe from lowes, they work well for connecting intake ducts and stuff together. they even come with two big clamps.

EagleMark
03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes it has a lip, just like picture above your post.

I just clicked on picture and it works fine, you have to be signed in to see them but you posted so your signed in. Some networks at work have all pictures blocked?

PJG1173
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes it has a lip, just like picture above your post.

I just clicked on picture and it works fine, you have to be signed in to see them but you posted so your signed in. Some networks at work have all pictures blocked?

i can see it now. the site was real flaky this morning when I got on. was really slow to respond both from home and work when it was available.

cmaje72
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
This might give you some ideas:
http://wynjammer.com/ALM1115/Air_Intake_Parts.html

JeepsAndGuns
03-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Interesting. They have a "adapter" to put the standard inlet carb/tbi bonnets/elbows onto the vortec tb's. I emailed them about the measurements.
I measured mine and I have roughly 3 1/4, possiably 3 1/2 inches of clearance from the top of the tb to the hood. :yikes:

Now that I saw that adapter they make, I never thought about simply making a "disc" of sorts that could let me use a standard inlet sized elbow. I bet I could find that same one on jegs or summit for cheaper. I could probably even make one of those, just never even thought of doing it that way! Only problem I see is actually attaching it to the vortec tb. Thats another thing I asked them, lets how long/if they reply.

JeepsAndGuns
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Got a reply, he said its 4 inches tall with the adapter :mad1:

EagleMark
03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
You know all that stuff on that website was way cool! But also made for his superchargers. Have you looked for a CAI (cold air intake) for the vortec?

PJG1173
03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
a 2 or 3" body lift would give you the hood clearance you need.

cmaje72
03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
How about the adapter with something like the flat pancake bonnett from a V8 ZJ?

JeepsAndGuns
03-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Body lift is out of the question. I hate them, and will never install one on anything I own.

Found this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-98499/ It would clear, look kinda nice, but the price :yikes:
Then I would need some type of adapter to go from the 4in inlet on that bonnet to the 3.5in tube and K&N I have, such as this: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=R40B-350-400&Category_Code=RSS1

I have seen those ZJ bonnets, I had thought about one with my old tbi, but it just looked soo small and restrictive, I'm just afraid it wouldnt flow enough. Thats my biggest concern right now, is I dont want to use something thats gonna restrict air flow. Do any other dodges with the magnum engine use a simmilar bonnet thats not as small/flat? I may do some looking around the aftermarket for air intakes for those.

EagleMark
03-28-2012, 02:49 AM
I felt the same way about body lifts until I saw a Scout II with one inch. It made everything so much easier to see and work on and couldn't even notice it. Side effect was a much quiter ride with new body bushings.

cmaje72
03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I have seen those ZJ bonnets, I had thought about one with my old tbi, but it just looked soo small and restrictive, I'm just afraid it wouldnt flow enough.
That was just what popped into my head when I was thinking about short intake solutions. Is the 401 stock? I think I have a 1" spacer from my old ZJ that would give you a little more volume but then you might be back to hood clearence issues. Someone out there makes a fiberglass cowl hood for FSJ's. From what I remember though it was pretty expensive and the fit sucked. I think theres a thread on IFSJA.

PJG1173
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Body lift is out of the question. I hate them, and will never install one on anything I own.

Found this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-98499/ It would clear, look kinda nice, but the price :yikes:
Then I would need some type of adapter to go from the 4in inlet on that bonnet to the 3.5in tube and K&N I have, such as this: http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=R40B-350-400&Category_Code=RSS1

I'm not a big fan of body lifts either but it was the only way I could get a big enough radiator in my toyota, so I had to do it. for the price of that bonnet I would hope it came with a new filter, ducting, and a tank of gas.

I felt the same way about body lifts until I saw a Scout II with one inch. It made everything so much easier to see and work on and couldn't even notice it. Side effect was a much quiter ride with new body bushings.

that is the one thing I can say about mine. man those tranmission bolts are easy to get to...

JeepsAndGuns
03-29-2012, 02:49 AM
The 401 is mild. Its .040 over, heads shaved about .020, mild port and polish, exhaust manifolds gasket matched and the internal humps from the air tubes removed. Comp cams XE256H.
I'm just about ready to just say screw it, bite the bullet, and order the one above from summit, I'm getting tired of looking and want this thing running.
I might go to pull a part this weekend and look for other options, but I feel I might be disappointed, and waste a trip. Its a hour drive one way.

EagleMark
03-29-2012, 05:30 AM
A mere bag of shells for a man in your position!

If the one from summit clears your hood what's the problem? They should have everything else avaiable to complete the system, yeah it'll be a couple hundred bucks when done but look what you've done to the motor! Don't stop now it needs clean cool air!

Once you get that lawn mower running and sold you'll have enough cash for another whole project!

That's going to be the best running 401 AMC engine I'll ever see.

JeepsAndGuns
03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Yea I'm hoping when I sell that mower, I make enough to finish the build on this jeep. I need to finish rebuilding my front dana 60, buy and install a locker, rebuild/regear/and install a locker in the rear dana 60. Install my NV4500/NP205 and install the axles and measure for and have custom driveshafts built.

EagleMark
03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Well there goes that money... :innocent2:

JeepsAndGuns
03-30-2012, 01:55 AM
I just know as soon as I order this $100 bonnet, someone is gonna pop up with a nice and cheap one from somewhere else....lol

EagleMark
03-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Story of my life, way to do it is you buy it and stop looking!

You sure it's going to clear? Does it come with mounting hardware? The other site had some mounts that looked easy to make for cheap hardware parts for $50... but they were designed for boost too!

JeepsAndGuns
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Summit had free shipping, so I went ahead and ordered it last night, along with a reducing adapter to connect its 4in inlet to my 3.5in intake tubing I have.
Its 2.5in tall, and I have 3 1/4 to 3.5in clearance, so it should clear just fine. I'm gonna make my own adapter out of some extra steel plate I have laying around. Shouldnt be too hard.

JeepsAndGuns
04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I finally have a air filter!

I started out with the TB, I needed a way to mount the intake elbow I bought thats made for carbs. After seeing the "adapter" in one of the links posted here, I decided to make my own.
I started out with a peice of 1/8 plate. Measured and cut it to set on the TB. 5-5/8 od, 3 11/16 id. Now it set on the lip of the TB, but not flush, I had to take my die grinder and bevel the edge of it just a bit cause the tb is not cut square, it has a slight radius to it. I then took and makred the "tabs" on the tb and then marked them on the ring. I then drilled the holes in the ring, and used the ring as a guide and drilled them in the tb. I then tapped the holes in the tb to 10-32 and used some round head machine screws to holt it down.
Now I needed a way to hold down the elbow, since its made for carbs, it has a hole in the center. I took some 1/8x3/4 flat stock I had leftover from other projects, measured, marked, and heated and bent into a U shape. I then welded that to my plate, then marked and drilled the hole for the hold down bolt.
Now I was ready, but still couldnt let something go. The round thin gasket that goes between the air filter housing and the original tbi throttle body had nothing to support it. It would probably be just fine, but I just couldnt let the though of it having a chance of a slightly uneven clamping force, and a part of it getting sucked in. So I took and sacraficed my old tbi air filter spacer and cut off the top "ring" of it, so I could have a support for the gasket. I sealed the adapter to the tb with a thin bead of rtv, and did the same for the gasket "ring' to the plate, basicly glueing the metal ring into place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-07110901.jpg

Elbow mounted!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-07111217.jpg

I then measured, and cut the pipe and mounted everything. I wanted a little extra something to support the whole assembly, so I added a brace going to a un used hole in the power steering pump bracket, and then ran it up to the intake tube and attached a L bracket to the tube with a extra hose clamp and attached the brace to that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-07132746.jpg

Everything all complete and mounted!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/2012-04-07182041.jpg

I need to build the "box" for it to help keep out some of the hot engine air, but thats for another day. Also the spot the filter is setting at, is where the coolant overflow tank used to be. SO I still need to reloacate it, or find another one thats smaller and easy to mount.

one92rs
04-08-2012, 04:40 PM
now that looks nice. and you are using a 427 to control all this correct?

EagleMark
04-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Very nice work and looks sweet! :happy:

JeepsAndGuns
04-09-2012, 01:48 AM
now that looks nice. and you are using a 427 to control all this correct?

Yep, 16197427 with all the MPFI mods done to it, the memcal, and the bin, following the zip file I got from here.

EagleMark
04-09-2012, 02:12 AM
So does it run yet? :jfj:

philiprambo
04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
What is happening.........be elaborate.