PDA

View Full Version : Best BIN for runing 258/4.2 AMC/Jeep engine 5 speed manual

doc65
03-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm working on an old AMC Eagle with a 258 L6 and a T5 5-speed as far as I know the engine is currently bone stock. I picked up a wiring harnes to trim down & a 4.3 S10 V6 throttle body then cleaned it out, I'm just looking for a .BIN file that will let me get it running reasonably well for the time being. I'l likely pickup an AutoPro & tune it further later.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 02:02 AM
What ECM/PCM are you using? Then we can look for bin options...

What's an AutoPro?

doc65
03-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Oh, got a few of them sitting here, was allowed to get a small box for minimal price, have on hand 2 x 1227747's(1 may have been V8,chip change should fix that though right? The other is def. 4.3 V6), 2 x 1228062(4.3's but autos) and for possibly later, 16197427 & 16168625(I do realize that those will require re-wiring or adapter)

I should also note that I also have another Eagle with a TF998 3 speed NON-electronic(obviously based on the age) auto trans that I may do first as it doesn't need to pass inspection/sniffer for a year(just got it done with an old motorcraft 2150 carb & a GM large cap EFI)

I also have 2 freshly cleaned & re-built TBI's from 4.3's an Astro & a S10 sitting here plus a couple sets of 5.7 injectors in case I need to go up a size.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 02:37 AM
The 8062 we have everything needed here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?374-1228062-ECM-Information-4E

For the 7747 here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

But most everyone here will try to get you to go with the 16197427 and 16168625 because they are faster PCM and have lots more tuning options. Although for a stock 258 you don't need them...

For chips you can look them up here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/

And reverse search for chip by RPO code or ECM number here (still testing the reverse search and 1project2many is looking for people to use and give feedback):
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/resultT.shtml?BCC=ZZZZ

You can read about the BCC Find project here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?557-BCCFInd-Mistakes-Wants-ETC/page2

JeepsAndGuns
03-21-2012, 02:48 AM
If your wanting a manual trans cal just to get you by untill you can tune. Then I have a 127747 chip/bin thats from a astro van that had a 4.3 and a 5 speed. The bcc is ABFB.
If your harness is a 7747 harness, and you have a couple laying around to use, that might be the quickest and cheapest way to get a ok running engine. If you want I can email you the bin.

doc65
03-21-2012, 02:53 AM
I've been to all those links, probably a few times(or more :)) from the bins listed as avail for the 8062 there isn't one for a 4.3 & Manual, does that mean it can't/shouldn't be done, or can I make a combination of the 2.8 Manual & 4.3 auto ones to use with a 5 speed, is there any significant difference to bias one toward the 8062 or the 7747. Yes I get that the 16XXXXXX is a faster unit, and I may get to that , but one step at a time here... I was just about to order the G2 adapter to be able to use an EEPROM.

doc65
03-21-2012, 02:57 AM
That is exactly what I'm after, yes please. I have an in with a local pick & pull(friend used to own it, his ex still manages it), but I can't seem to come across an ECU in the right configuration...

doc65
03-21-2012, 03:13 AM
If your wanting a manual trans cal just to get you by untill you can tune. Then I have a 127747 chip/bin thats from a astro van that had a 4.3 and a 5 speed. The bcc is ABFB.
If your harness is a 7747 harness, and you have a couple laying around to use, that might be the quickest and cheapest way to get a ok running engine. If you want I can email you the bin.

Harness is a bit of a question mark still, I'm going to have to verify it, but the 8062 & 7747 are supposed to be either the same harness or very close. I don't know for sure what ECU it originally had plugged into it, it was an Ebay thing, but again it should be close as it was a 1989 S10 with 4.3 V6 for the price it wasn't worth my time to pull it vs buy it already pulled, so far on initial inspection it looks to be in decent shape.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 03:59 AM
We've got more bins then anywhere on on the net, here's a major dump of files in no particualr order. That's where the BCC find comes in handy.

Look in bin folder! :thumbsup:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/

If you can't figure it out we'll give you a hand. But having a good starter bin is not going to be an issue.

doc65
03-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Ouch my head hurts!!!

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Get a good nights sleep you'll be fine! :happy:

doc65
03-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Yeah, just semi sarcastic, alot to try to get my head around. One question that I can't seem to understand though is what's with the different XDF files for a given ECU, how does that work if the XDF is a definition of what the data at different offsets in the prom do then how can there be different definitions?!? Also along the same lines how does one know which to use?

dave w
03-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Yeah, just semi sarcastic, alot to try to get my head around. One question that I can't seem to understand though is what's with the different XDF files for a given ECU, how does that work if the XDF is a definition of what the data at different offsets in the prom do then how can there be different definitions?!? Also along the same lines how does one know which to use?

The TunerPro site http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm shows which .XDF file to use by ECM number. The .XDF is for editing the .bin file. The Datastream Definitions (.ads / .adx) are for data logging.

dave w

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Dave got you going! :thumbsup: I thought you were up to speed there, it's not hard ... yet...

Here's a tutorial for XDF, ADX, Bin and XDL which is a data log file you get with the ADX file.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read

dave w
03-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Dave got you going! :thumbsup: I thought you were up to speed there, it's not hard ... yet...

Here's a tutorial for XDF, ADX, Bin and XDL which is a data log file you get with the ADX file.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial%21-New-users-this-is-a-must-read)

Nice work Mark!

Here is a thread I did somewhere else http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275801, it's almost a mouse click by mouse click tutorial for the TunerPro beginner.

dave w

doc65
03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanks Dave & Mark,

I'm a pretty quick study, but not quite that quick, I've only been looking into the intricacies of this for like 2-3 days & hard parts acquisition for about a week & a half. The specifics of how TunerPro works are interesting but mostly make sense, now, it IS strange to me that the engineers would change as much as they did from ECU model to model even in the same production time frame, and ultimately doesn't make sense from a production point of view a single definition file with different entries being used or disabled makes a lot more sense, of course without comparing the XDF files I can't really say that they aren't more similar than dis-similar.

Dave, per our prior conversation I do still think that I'll be buying a chip from you once I get it running & to the point that I can capture logs, at least for the first one of these that I'm working on, but down the road for future mods (4.6L Stroker build in parts acquisition mode right now) & a second vehicle I want to get it sorted for myself.

Thanks again guys,

1project2many
03-21-2012, 02:07 PM
The two Jeep / AMC I6 engines I've done have been 7747 equipped. I found a 454 calibration to be a much better starting point for these engines. The early TBI 454 was really a carbureted engine with an adapter and a throttle body on top and the base settings in those calibrations seem to lend themselves to getting the engine running acceptably in less time. I rarely use the 7747 4.3 calibrations as I've never liked the way GM tuned the throttle follower, especially on manual transmission versions. I've never figured out why but GM would keep the IAC valve open for a longer period of time after the throttle was closed, say during a shift or a deceleration. I've never liked it, though, and I've found it's usually easier to start with a V8 cal than try to work out all the changes in the V6 cal to make it behave.

Many people have commented on the number of different code masks for the same ecm, or even the number of different ecms. I've also thought it strange. There must have been a lot of parallel development work going on in GM land back then. Once upon a time General Motors / AC Delco was the world's largest producer of chips. It probably cost them less to build an ecm for a specific application than we imagine.

doc65
03-21-2012, 04:38 PM
1project2many (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/member.php?55-1project2many),

First, I love the handle, mine should probably be like "10"prjs2many. I will keep in mind the 454 cal. As I'm converting it to an EEPROM it shouldn't be too tough or expensive to try either/both the 454 & 4.3 cals, while tuning for driveabillity. You wouldn't by chance still have a copy of one of the 258 .bins that you adjusted from a 454 cal? Alternately other than the obvious "Number of Cylinders" parameter what did you need to change? I'm sure there were lots of small changes while tuning, but what were the main ones I guess is what I'm asking. I of course understand that EVERY individual engine is different, and can be individually tuned for best individual performance/driveability, but you would really think that from a 4.3 to a 4.2 would be closer, though the 4.2 gets it's displacement from a longer stroke & smaller bore than the 4.3.

PJG1173
03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I am courious too on why the 454. I may be helping a buddy do this to his 258 in the future.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Nice work Mark!

Here is a thread I did somewhere else http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275801, it's almost a mouse click by mouse click tutorial for the TunerPro beginner.

dave wThanks!

If they are not a paid member CK5 they can not acess that forum. Need to cut and paste it here...

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
The 454 engine design, specifically head combustion chamber was closer to an old 258 Jeep/AMC motor so with some cylinder number change and a BPW change it is closer to begin with. Newer engines had different head design and flow character...

Automatic and manual trans bin files are very different. If you have a manual start with manual bin same for auto. The throttle follower on deceleration is to ease throttle plates from snapping back causing high emissions, side effect was easier shifting, getting that point where easier shifting is good and a little less pollutants is a good thing. But they obviously went to far with the 4.3L talked about above? Or that engine needed it to pass emissions? Or maybe it worked fine on that engine but does not translate well to conversions?

I know for a fact that GM had many divisions/departments working on ECM at that time period and communication between them was not that good. This was also infancy years of EFI. In the end one guy had to put together all the little projects and pass drivability and emissions tests. Look at $42 and some others that had 2 VE tables that add up to over 100? But in code it clearly states it will be truncated to 100%. It was missed because these cells were in PE area...
Actually scaled to 256 not 100% because there are only 256 parts available and computers count 0 as 1 so 255 is the high number, thanks to Robert Saar for this info.

doc65
03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Mark,

Just a side note, but I was able to read through MOST of that post that Dave referenced even as a complete NON member there, what I couldn't do was open some of the files that you & he posted. I tried registering then found that I still couldn't without paying. Which I'm not against in a few cases, but I have visited way too many sites during the research phase of this conversion to be able to pay every site for the bits of information I may glean from their content.

dave w
03-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Mark,

Just a side note, but I was able to read through MOST of that post that Dave referenced even as a complete NON member there, what I couldn't do was open some of the files that you & he posted. I tried registering then found that I still couldn't without paying. Which I'm not against in a few cases, but I have visited way too many sites during the research phase of this conversion to be able to pay every site for the bits of information I may glean from their content.

At the time I posted the TunerPro tutorial, the files were placed in "Program Files". With TunerPro V5, the files are now placed in "My Documents".

dave w

doc65
03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Dave,

I understand that portion of where TunerPro puts it's files(the ACTUAL path changes even more with Win7, but you can still get to them that way do to sim-links in place), and that's no issue(I do network support for a living) I was referencing a few links that you & Mark had included in your postings to that thread that refer to files that were hosted somewhere on the CK5 site that is inaccessible except to paid members not just registered members.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Then I don't think your missing much, it was a tutorial on how to install TunerPro and get going. If the install is not an issue then all you need to do is learn file names, get correct files for your ECM, have a cable to record data and then start to learn to tune. You won't find it hard with your knowledge and support given here.

fasteddi started from scratch and has since changed his mask ID and added a turbo and is tuning that sucessfully in a month or so, while still having a job, family and replacing a head gasket! He has a 14 page thread going here about his entire process.

dave w
03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Try this link: ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib/

dave w

1project2many
03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
but you would really think that from a 4.3 to a 4.2 would be closer, though the 4.2 gets it's displacement from a longer stroke & smaller bore than the 4.3.

Well, I have done this before. :) There are a lot of differences between the engines. 4.3 had swirl port heads for turbulence, small plenum aluminum intake with coolant heating under nearly the entire manifold to reduce puddling, and more efficient combustion chambers. Remember that the 4.3 had to pass emissions in automobiles while the 7.4 only had to make it through one ton truck tests, less stringent that 1986 passenger car standards. Look at the main timing map in the 7.4 cals and you'll see curves much closer to old distributor based curves. The difference between max and min timing is far less than the 4.3 cals exhibit. The change in timing due to temperature is greater on the cold end, typical for older chambers with poor burn characteristics. And some of the cals won't go into closed loop until engine temp is nearly 190 to ensure the O2 readings are accurate. If you have a hex editor or if Tunerpro has a way to compare .bin files, you should look at how different the 4.3 cal is from the 454 and even the smallblock 350. I mean, if the 4.2 should be close to the 4.3, the 5.7 should be exactly the same considering it has the same bore and stroke.

I have a couple of cals I'll upload from a Jeep engine. One is from a well known EFI conversion company, the other is mine. The engine was not stock so VE and timing might not be completely appropriate but I'll freely donate it.

Mark, the throttle follower is simply an adjustment to IAC position. The throttle plates still snap closed, but IAC hangs open for a while afterward. You couldn't shift quickly with the truck trannies as the rpm was too high during this period and the synchros wouldn'tallow it.

doc65
03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
that link works, but I was thinking that it was a couple spreadsheets(Excel) files that you were useing to adjust fuel tables as i remember it taht I was trying to get to & CK5 wouldn't let me. Thanks again

doc65
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
1project2many,

Thanks, I'll take whatever I can get to start at this point, I do find that doing the comparisons is a handy tool. Heck even a stock non-tuned 4.3 has to run better than the Carter BBD "Computer" controlled carb that's currently on this one. I know when I went to a Motorcraft 2150 on the other Eagle it got much better idle, power etc. just looking to do better yet.

RobertISaar
03-21-2012, 10:31 PM
ugh, CCCs are the devil. at least updating to TBI is relatively easy on a carb/CCC application. personally, i'm a MPFI(and not necessarily SFI) guy, but i know that for a lot of applications, that's just simply not feasible for most people.

dave w
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
that link works, but I was thinking that it was a couple spreadsheets(Excel) files that you were useing to adjust fuel tables as i remember it taht I was trying to get to & CK5 wouldn't let me. Thanks again

Try these speadsheets.

dave w

doc65
03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Yup, CCC is the auto equivalent of 666, on the future 4.6 Jeep engine I have a post 99 intake for it which in stock trim flows much better & more evenly... and a fuel rail with individual injectors(24lb ford racing units), I can bore the throttle body straight thru without resizeing the butterfly to like 62mm, as i remember it though it's been a while since I measured it(simple enough to pull the throttle plate, center it in the lathe & bore it to a straight thru), I'd LOVE to find a way to feed it SPFI with DIS though to do that will require a cam position sensor as well so I'm back to the distributor(or the late jeep unit that goes in it's place) but I need something there to run the oil pump anyway ;)

doc65
03-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Dave,

Those all come down fine, and I can unzip them to see enclosed content, can't actually open the xls files on this computer as no Excel compatible spreadsheet on it right now, but I'll fix that a little later. I'm off to the Pick & Pull to see about a throttle cable that I can adapt to work with the decreasing radius throttle pulley on this TBI I have here(well one of them at least). I can always rig up an arm similar to the one on the MC2150 carb, but the decreasing radius would be cool to make work as well & I think I can adapt a n S10 cable without too much stress.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Try this link: ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib/

dave wWe have all those and many more http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/

Mark, the throttle follower is simply an adjustment to IAC position. The throttle plates still snap closed, but IAC hangs open for a while afterward. You couldn't shift quickly with the truck trannies as the rpm was too high during this period and the synchros wouldn'tallow it.I understand that, that is why the IAC hangs open to avoid since it can't hang the throttle plates it adds more air.

I'd LOVE to find a way to feed it SPFI with DIS though to do that will require a cam position sensor as well so I'm back to the distributor(or the late jeep unit that goes in it's place) but I need something there to run the oil pump anyway ;)I have a 4.0L jeep engine distributor here that is just a cam sensor on top, no distributor to drive oil pump. Will sell it for the $40 I paid for it. It is available on some year 4.OL engines with DIS. Also had one of those tuned port aluminum MPFI intakes I was going to use with a 4.0L HO head but that projest never got done and sold.

doc65
03-21-2012, 11:20 PM
The piece that you have should look like a distributor that's been cut off between the shaft & the base of the distributor and has a single connector off the side of the top, right, it should still have the drive gear & the shaft down from there to drive the oil pump? I might just be interested in that as it's newer that I seem to see in the local Pick N Pulls that I can get cheap parts from I thought I saw somewhere that you were selling off a Jeep head & intake etc. I meant to get in contact but got busy or something...

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 11:22 PM
That's the distibutor I have, no cap and rotor cut off and gone, just a cam sensor on top. Factory Jeep part. All the other stuff is gone.

doc65
03-21-2012, 11:28 PM
If I knew for sure I could find an ECU to drive that configuration, DIS/SPFI, I'd be all over it, might still, how much to get it to 84015?

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I'd ship it via USPS for that. If interested I will PM you my PayPal...

doc65
03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah, send it to me, I suppose that if I can't find a GM ECU/.bin that I can tune to run that configuration I can always build up one of the MegaSquirt derivatives that will...

RobertISaar
03-21-2012, 11:38 PM
DIS/MPFI is also an option, and you wouldn't be stuck with using only SFI capable ECMs.

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah, send it to me, I suppose that if I can't find a GM ECU/.bin that I can tune to run that configuration I can always build up one of the MegaSquirt derivatives that will...You can find a bin that will run it without any adjustments. But if you tune one it will be much better! That is what/why people have been saying a 454 bin because it's easier to tune, but without tuning equiptment you would have to use a 4.3L manual bin.

JeepsAndGuns
03-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Yea I have one of those little chopped off distributors/cam sensors I got from the pull a part. I got it from a late model someone had already grabbed the head and most all other bolt on parts off of. It was stripped pretty clean, but still had that. I was surprised. Figured I would hold onto it for a rainy day..lol

doc65
03-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Mark,

The bin I there are two project that have gotten run together here, the bin I was referring to "...if I can find..." is to do DIS/SPFI preferably, on a Jeep 4.6 stroker motor with mostly Jeep hard parts, most of the rest of the messages had to do with a much more standard GM TBI setup bolted onto an AMC 258 thru an adapter plate in place of a Carter BBD computer controlled carb. That Jeep stroker project is a little further out, like a couple months maybe.

Jeep And Guns,

Did you get a chance to grab that ASTRO .bin you mentioned yesterday?

JeepsAndGuns
03-22-2012, 03:13 AM
Jeep And Guns,

Did you get a chance to grab that ASTRO .bin you mentioned yesterday?

Crap, sorry I forgot all about it. Let me do some digging and find it, and I will post it up. Might be tomorrow if thats ok?

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 03:21 AM
What was the BCC I will see if I have it, I still have some collected and not uploaded to website.

1project2many
03-22-2012, 04:37 AM
Did a fair amount of work on CCC vehicles. I still have my old 6 cyl dwell meter around for setting the M/C solenoid as well as a pile of special tools for the Rochester carbs.

I've attached the Howell .bin but I'll have to dig around for the other. Gads... it's been 10+ years since I tuned it and I'm not even sure I remember the filename anymore.

Edit: I'm such a packrat. My tuning laptop has more cals on it than I know what to do with. I believe Jeep024 is the .bin I made to replace the Howell .bin.

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Ha! A dwell meter? Your giving away your age! I gave mine to my kid when we first built his IH engine. He was like 'What the *** is this for" I laughed and told him then when we got it running showed him how to set points properly by dwell... back in the old days we had distributor machines to do proper tuneups. Pull distributor and install in SnapOn distributor machine, set point dwell check advance curves, vacuum pull off. Now we just change a couple cells in the bin... :laugh:

doc65
03-22-2012, 06:26 AM
the funny thing is that I still had my old Sears Craftsman dwell tach, it had a switch to change from tach to dwell, and scales on it for 4,6,8 cylinders. It moved around with me for 30 years untill I finally had a need for it(the tach portion) tuning the carb on one of the old Eagles I'v acquired, only to find that it was frozen up :(

doc65
03-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Did a fair amount of work on CCC vehicles. I still have my old 6 cyl dwell meter around for setting the M/C solenoid as well as a pile of special tools for the Rochester carbs.

I've attached the Howell .bin but I'll have to dig around for the other. Gads... it's been 10+ years since I tuned it and I'm not even sure I remember the filename anymore.

Edit: I'm such a packrat. My tuning laptop has more cals on it than I know what to do with. I believe Jeep024 is the .bin I made to replace the Howell .bin.

Thanks a bunch, I downloaded both guess well see as soo as parts arrive, Burn 2/ALDL cable/G2 adapter & chips. For future reference someone mentioned being able to basically make a G2 outof a ZIF socket is it the same as trimming a couple pins off the bottom and soldering a jumper wire to the 5 pins on one end that I came across somewhere else that description may be off a little as I only skimmed it??

doc65
03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
What ECM/PCM are you using? Then we can look for bin options...

What's an AutoPro?

That was my fat fingers getting ahead of themselves, shoulda been AutoProm

The bin that JeepsAndGuns referenced was: If your wanting a manual trans cal just to get you by untill you can tune. Then I have a 127747 chip/bin thats from a astro van (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=astro%20van) that had a 4.3 and a 5 speed. The bcc is ABFB.

doc65
03-22-2012, 06:39 AM

I haven't opened that bin to look at it to much yet, but didn't I read somewhere that the howell bin is fuel only, seems like I also read that it reports as a 88-89 C/K1500? If indeed it is fuel only, did they disable the spark control, or just not add the wiring & instructions on how to add the module in & lockdown the vac/mech adv mechanism?

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 06:45 AM
the funny thing is that I still had my old Sears Craftsman dwell tach, it had a switch to change from tach to dwell, and scales on it for 4,6,8 cylinders. It moved around with me for 30 years untill I finally had a need for it(the tach portion) tuning the carb on one of the old Eagles I'v acquired, only to find that it was frozen up :(Mine was tach and dwell as well and had 4 6 and 8 cylinders. Kid still has it.

Howell chip could be fuel only but not necessarily.

dave w
03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks a bunch, I downloaded both guess well see as soo as parts arrive, Burn 2/ALDL cable/G2 adapter & chips. For future reference someone mentioned being able to basically make a G2 outof a ZIF socket is it the same as trimming a couple pins off the bottom and soldering a jumper wire to the 5 pins on one end that I came across somewhere else that description may be off a little as I only skimmed it??

I posted information here http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?172-7747-Flash-Chip-Conversion-%2827SF512%29 on installing a ZIF in a '7747 ECM.

dave w

doc65
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks Dave, that's one of them that I came across though I could swear it was on another site. I also saw where Bill-USN1 I think it is was doing the soldering VERY gingerly on the chip itself then trimming the legs or bending then out so that it would go in a standard socket or some-such... Not sure I'm quite THAT cheap, I will buy a ZIF and try that one though.

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Doing it on the Zif socket would be better then on the chip. I've seen them done on a chip and work but the metal on chip can interfere. Reason I say this is I once... OK three times before I relized what was happening was burned chips, tested good, did not have any od my little stickers so I used duct tape. Chip did not work? three times!!! Duct tape was no where near pins and I only covered them because they were old UV light erase chips. Took duct tape off and all three chips were good. So if duct tape can create some sort of magnetic/electrical field to interfere with chip can you image what a metal wire would/could do?

Now if you go with the G2 and your good with soldering then just solder the G2 to board and add chip and cover will go on. If you add the socket to board then G2 and chip, cover will not go on.

doc65
03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I am good at soldering, and I planned on soldering in the G2 that I ordered directly to the board, I'm interested in the ZIF socket version for a second ECU

1project2many
03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Howell Jeep came in as fuel only but instructions were included to wire ignition module for ecm control and probably lockout distributor. For some reason I can't remember that part. But connecting module to ecm did not cure performance issues.

The Eagle project is cool. In my youth I tried to get one cheap to do SBC swap, lift it, &etc but all the "old timers" then said no good, stay away, junk. I haven't see one on the road around here in a long, long time.

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I too have always liked the Eagle (all kinds of Eagles) and wanted one! Even though it looked like a better design of the Pacer known as a pregnant roller skate... :laugh: Even though we have no salt up here and still see many old cars I can't remember seeing one in a long time... come to mention it I don't see any AMC other then Jeeps of that era? Guess the old timers were right...

But that is not where my web handle came from.

doc65
03-22-2012, 05:11 PM
There was a limited quantity built, and they mainly died off as Chrysler bought AMC and killed off everything but the jeeps. they aren't any worse mechanically than the jeeps of the era, as a matter of fact other that having an IFS the running gear is all jeep between CJ & just slightly newer Cherokees most everything is interchangeable.

Red one's the main project, Brown is actually driveable, and much cleaner under hood, with no extra vac cr@p and a Motorcraft 2150 instead of the CCC Carter BBD as well as a GM large cap HEI. I'm thinking of doing this TBI to the brown one and then later doing a hopefully DIS/SPFI on the Stroked 4.6 I'm puting together now. I have a similar stroker in a 96 Grand Cherokee and it's a BEAST, only problem is that all the extra torque brought to light an aged & weak Trans...

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/drbauer65/IMAG0134.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/drbauer65/Eagles/IMAG0221.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/drbauer65/Eagles/IMAG0218.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/drbauer65/Eagles/IMAG0216.jpg

doc65
03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
...oh, and I know Bess(Brown Bess, gotta have a name ya know?) is sitting on different rims front to rear in that pic. I was trying different wheels & tire sizes at the time. She's now on a set of factory Rally (aluminum) wheels.

doc65
03-22-2012, 06:11 PM
1Project,

Seems we all needed to do the SBC swap "in our youth" mine was actually for a friend, a 350 into a 77 Datsun Truck. we put that & a TH350 from a 75 Camaro in, hooked everything up, told hime to be REAL gentle till we could replace the rearend, well needless to say he didn't make it out of the parking lot... totally sheared all the teeth off the pinion gear...

JeepsAndGuns
03-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Heh, for some reason, I actually kinda like the looks of that red one. :happy:

Ok, sorry it took so long, but heres the bin I was talking about. Its from a 4.3 tbi astro van with a 5 speed. Dont know if it will help any, or be what your looking for, but it might help.

doc65
03-23-2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks,

Don't know yet, but can't hurt, right? Again , thanks for your time!!!

Doc