PDA

View Full Version : Equipment needed for tuning

Xenon
03-10-2012, 02:33 AM
I'm soon to be working on a 1987 GMC Suburban... Am totally new to tuning. Was just wondering what hardware I'm going to need to be able to do this...

Suggestions?

gregs78cam
03-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Most of us here will probably point you toward an AutoProm from Moates.net, and TunerPro.net. However you could also get away with an Ostrich2.0, and a Burn1.

EagleMark
03-10-2012, 03:46 AM
With his 1227747 or 1228747 ECM he will also need a G2 adapter to use the newer chip. Or go the old route and find some ST 2732a chips, GQ-4x programmer and UV light eraser. Way better to use the G2 and newer SST27SF512 chip to click erase, click to write 1000's of times if need be.
http://www.moates.net/g2-memory-adapter-060-leg-spacing-p-36.html?cPath=64

Nasty-Z
03-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Another vote for the APU1 and tunerpro :thumbsup:

TOM

EagleMark
03-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Another vote for the APU1 and tunerpro :thumbsup:

TOMI sure like mine! :happy:

RobertISaar
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
i'm amazed no one has mentioned the EBL yet.

gregs78cam
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I really like the added ability of the EBL, but I can't justify it for one vehicle, especially when factory equipment works so well for what I, and most people need. Now if sometime in the future I decide to add some boost (probable), I will definitely think harder about it.

Nasty-Z
03-10-2012, 04:20 PM
When the EBL can control an electronic trans , I will consider it. I refuse to have 2 ECM/PCM's and piggybacked wires.

I have used one on a friends truck , nice piece , but the factory ECM will do just as well and I already have that.

TOM

EagleMark
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I really like the added ability of the EBL, but I can't justify it for one vehicle, especially when factory equipment works so well for what I, and most people need. Now if sometime in the future I decide to add some boost (probable), I will definitely think harder about it.That was always my point. I really don't have one car that needs one, but if I did have boost or a motor that needed better tuning I would! There's no doubt it is a sweet unit but a little overkill for a stock motor. But I wonder if it could be used to tune a vehicle, use the VE learn ability, then burn a bin for stock ecm? Kind of using it like a Moates RoadRunner.

When the EBL can control an electronic trans , I will consider it.
TOMSomewhere I read that was in the works...

Xenon
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
So I need this: http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-package-usb-version-p-54.html

and this: http://www.moates.net/g2-memory-adapter-060-leg-spacing-p-36.html?cPath=64

What else should I know?

I'm months out on all of this, just trying to figure everything out ahead of time...

EagleMark
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Yup, that and TunerPro, maybe a couple 27SF512 chips but I think you get TunerPro license and chips with AutoProm. There are other ways to go but this is the sweet route!

doc65
03-20-2012, 05:58 PM
While the AutoProm looks nice(REAL nice actually), can you suggest a slightly more budget friendly setup for someone to start out, mainly working on one or possibly two vehicles???

EagleMark
03-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Moates Burn 2, plus a cable. Still need to change ECM to EEPROM chip adapter. But no emulater unless you add Ostrich.

Having the newer EEPROM chips and adapter is really best way to go, then next option.

GQ-4X is a little more then a Burn 2 but you can do stock chips as well as 1000 differant chips, no adapter. UV chips then need a UV eraser and chips are hard to find, and don't have reliability of 1000s of erases and writes. Just a few...
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?282-GQ-4X-Programmer-from-MCUMALL.com-Review

I have the AutoProm and a few ECM/PCM with adapters so I can tune differant vehicles, when done I can burn one stock UV chip with GQ-4x and install it in stock ECM/PCM back in car. But I do more then a few...

PJG1173
03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I bought the autoprom for my first tuning experiance. It is/was well worth the money. the way I looked at it was I knew I was going to make mistakes and didn't want to burn and reburn chips for every mistake or "let me see what this does" situation. calculating buying everything the autoprom does it comes out to about the same amount of money so it was kind of a no brainer for me. plus it came with extra chips so I'm already set for my next tuning project(s)