PDA

View Full Version : Screen shot of data dash

Nasty-Z
03-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Probably a dumb question , but how do you post the screen shots of the data dash on here ?

I have a unreal knock count problem I am fighting with my S10 ('7427) and I thought a screen shot might be helpful.

Thanks

TOM

gregs78cam
03-08-2012, 07:09 AM
The short, short version........

PrintScreen, paste into paint, save as JPEG.

Post reply, Go advanced, Attach file, select JPEG, Upload.

Preview post, Open image in new tab, Copy address, Click on Insert image, paste address, uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", OK.

Got it?

If not here is the complete explanation.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?445-Screen-Shots-or-placing-full-size-photo-in-post.

But, for something like that, it might be more useful to post a datalog.

EagleMark
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Post a pic of the Big Block in the S10 too! :jfj:

I'm tinking about an S10 for my LT1 and 4l60E...

JeepsAndGuns
03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
On my laptop, there was no built in screen shot feature. I had to download a program to do it. Its called screen hunther, and works pretty good, and it was free.

EagleMark
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Really? Mine is on the Home button, I have no idea what home is for? But under it says prt sc.

My paint program has a screen capture setup under Import.

PJG1173
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Really? Mine is on the Home button, I have no idea what home is for? But under it says prt sc.

My paint program has a screen capture setup under Import.

the home button takes you to the beginning of a line if you are in a word processing application. most laptops have it assigned to a multiple key sequence like my laptop is FN+insert. prt scr is in a diffent color on the key and is real hard to read.

JeepsAndGuns
03-09-2012, 03:12 AM
I have a unreal knock count problem

Me too. The knock sensor hates my AMC engine...lol :laugh:
I just have knock retard disabled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/ScreenHunter_01Feb181052.jpg

EagleMark
03-09-2012, 04:01 AM
At least it's consistent false knock counts? :laugh:

IIRC from another thread there are basically three knock sensors based on frequency of the bore of the engine. So 4.3, 5.7 and 7.4 I don't remember where 5.0 fell in there. So with a 401 maybe try a 454 knock sensor? Or your not supposed to use Teflon tape because it dampens the sensitivity, so use Teflon tape! Another trick is use an brass elbow to reduce sensitivity.

There is also a small torque setting for knock sensors. If you over tighten them they squeeze in becoming more sensitive.

Motor mounts worn and metal hitting metal, headers or exhaust hitting, any rattling. One guy on thirdgen camaro got knock from a rear control arm bushing worn out making noise under load!

Nasty-Z
03-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Post a pic of the Big Block in the S10 too! :jfj:

This was just as I was getting ready to take it back out for this latest reincarnation , but you get the idea :

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/Nasty-Z/IMAG0757.jpg

TOM

Nasty-Z
03-09-2012, 04:26 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/ScreenHunter_01Feb181052.jpg

Holy crap , that looks as bad as mine ......

Ill try to upload a file over the weekend.

Thanks again everyone , its real good to be here

TOM

FSJ Guy
03-09-2012, 05:27 AM

I guess I don't need to go out and get a knock sensor for mine, eh?

EagleMark
03-09-2012, 05:58 AM
I guess I don't need to go out and get a knock sensor for mine, eh?Not neccesserly if you do the things I mentioned above you could get it to work, at least be close. Some motors just make to much noise like solid lifter cams, gear drive cams, old noisy motors...

This was just as I was getting ready to take it back out for this latest reincarnation , but you get the idea :

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/Nasty-Z/IMAG0757.jpg

TOMCool! :thumbsup:

But anyone can get a BB to fit without the front clip... :laugh:
Sorry had too... :innocent2:

What did you do for motor mounts? If you used leaf spring bushings I have had trouble with them and knock counts... look at the tips above, I have got a bunch to work that way.

If you can't get your knock sensor to work on a conversion get the factory spark advance curve and use it. Go the old fashion way uphill load and listen for ping. Hot summer day will be worst case senario...

JeepsAndGuns
03-10-2012, 03:26 AM
IIRC from another thread there are basically three knock sensors based on frequency of the bore of the engine. So 4.3, 5.7 and 7.4 I don't remember where 5.0 fell in there. So with a 401 maybe try a 454 knock sensor?

I thought the actual knock sensor was the same for all, and it was the ESC that was diffrent? So I would have to find a 454 7427 memcal. Probably not real easy to find.

EagleMark
03-10-2012, 03:42 AM
I had copied the info in the Knock Sensor Topic of Week thread but GM info was Knock sensor was based on bore diameter, which I guess put off differant frequinces of knock noise? But they had three listed. Your right in the middle and 5.7L is obviuosly not working so mybe the 7.4L knock sensor with your same knock memcal and test.

Again we need to find tourqe specs because overtighening causes them to be more sensitive, I'm guessing because it's a tappered thread and tighter squezes them. Teflon tape about 3 -4 wraps makes them less sensitive. Brass elbow makes them less sensitive. Could be trial and error and documenting for others to follow and add too!

JeepsAndGuns
03-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Mabey we need to start a knock sensors and false knock thread so we dont highjack the OP's thread.

EagleMark
03-10-2012, 06:59 AM
We're good at highjacing around here aren't we? :innocent2:

I agree we need to combine some knock sensor info and do some testing. You guys with conversions on AMC motors seem to have a great test bed as they are consistent in constant knock noise. Even if it's not high teck and try a 7.4L knock sensor, or the teflon tape, or the brass elbow, or both or all or? I got nothing that knocks... yet! I'll have to see how the IH does when done!

As far as OP we need to look at motor build, knock sensor tourque, any tapping of headers on anything, any thing tapping anything in that build, does he have open headers? Then try some of the tricks...