PDA

View Full Version : How about over 200 Definition files?

EagleMark
03-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Well Robert out did himself again and donated 215 Definition files for all make and models. Check them out in the Gallery with the 600 bin files and getting close to 100 wiring diagrams.

Way to go guys!

mudbuggy
03-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Ok, since I'm the resident FNG, a definition file is a file that is originally loaded into the computer from the factory? Maybe a personal file that has been 'located or fabricated' that meets or exceeds factory?

EagleMark
03-29-2011, 05:55 AM
No, the file in the ECM on the chip is a .bin and refered to as BCC/ Like your BroadCastCode could be ADSU.bin

Definitian files are used in TunerPro to aquire data. ADX in V5 and ads in V4.

The XDF file is the mask to help read the code in the .bin.

HTH.

mudbuggy
03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
So I need a ,DFX to read a .bin? I have tunerpro RT but haven't figured out which cable I need for the GMC and the chevy.

Six_Shooter
03-30-2011, 07:47 PM
It's an XDF, that you need to load to Tuner Pro, to look at the bin file.

The XDF is like a road map to what's where in the bin file, since it can be different between different "masks."

I use the Moates.net ALDU1 with CABL1.

mudbuggy
03-31-2011, 01:29 AM
so which definition file do I use for a certain vehicle? What if there's not one that matches the vehicle? Does one load for all?

Six_Shooter
03-31-2011, 01:51 AM
There will be something called a "Code mask" that is within the bin itself. These bytes are usually at the same spot in most definitions. Most commonly at HEX location 0x08, so looking at that byte in a hex editor (there is one within Tuner Pro), will help you find the right XDF, since most XDFs are labeled according to the code mask they are associated with. There are exceptions to the code mask byte location, such as $42, has this at 0x04, and $0D has it at another location. A lot of times you will be pulling a bin from a particular vehicle, so some searching on the interweb can reveal what code mask your vehicle should have and then use the appropriate XDF.

No, there isn't one XDF that will apply to all bins, that would be nice, but just doesn't work that way.

What I will do sometimes when I'm opening an unknown bin or something that may be questionable as far as what code mask it is, I will look at several tables, such as VE, and spark tables to look for a graph that has smooth transitions from one cell to the next and represents what these tables should look like. If they don't, then the XDF is probably wrong and need to choose a different one.

mudbuggy
03-31-2011, 02:22 AM
So there's not a defined 'key', so basically I'm picking the lock?

lightning-jr
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Your best bet is to get the computers part # from the sticker on top of it.

The sticker should also have the 4 (capital) letter BCC code on it.

Removing the small access cover will reveal the PROM chip, that should also be marked with the same BCC, if not, the chip has been changed.