PDA

View Full Version : Noisy in-tank pump

Mastiff
02-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Finally finished installing new tank, sender and in-tank pump for my 7747 setup. Previously I had an external pump. On the first try, I listened really closely as I turned the key, thinking I'd barely be able to hear the pump, but it's actually very loud. It's like it's resonating against sheet metal or something. This is for a K5 Blazer with no carpet or sound deadening of any kind. The engine runs fine. Should I be worried? I did notice the filler neck on the tank contacts the body, which could be part of it.

EagleMark
02-27-2012, 02:51 AM
I know the Carter is louder intank...

Mastiff
02-27-2012, 03:28 AM
I know the Carter is louder intank...

That's what I have. I also had a Carter in-line and you could hear it whine. This one sort of rumbles. I think it's okay though... I put my ear up to the tank and I don't hear any metal on metal or anything. I'm guessing the tank just resonates against the body a little.

PJG1173
02-27-2012, 04:28 AM
no worrys mine is loud too.

EagleMark
02-27-2012, 04:31 AM
They are actually a better pump but do make more noise. Did you fill the tank yet? Mine was hardly noticble over exhaust till I got to 1/8th tank...

Mastiff
02-27-2012, 04:40 AM
Just 5 gallons in so far, so I expect it'll get quieter when full. I can't hear it with the engine running either, just when I turn the key prior to start it rumbles. I guess it's all okay. People talk about how in-line pumps are noisy, so I expected this to be quieter. Oh well, I don't care as long as it's working right.

EagleMark
02-27-2012, 05:11 AM
I think your fine and will be only one to notice with more gas...