PDA

View Full Version : We're back!

1project2many
02-05-2017, 04:26 AM
After a bit of work Gearhead-EFI is back up and running. Thanks to everyone who contacted me to offer help and / or financial assistance. This site wouldn't be as good without all the folks that pitch in to help.

Chewy1576
02-05-2017, 04:27 AM
Great work!

joegreen
02-05-2017, 07:07 AM
Holy cow! What was wrong with the site?

steveo
02-05-2017, 10:21 AM
i was starting to worry that you were going to pull a monodax on us

1project2many
02-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Holy cow! What was wrong with the site?
It's kind of a story, but it had to do with how much space the forum attachments were using and where they were stored. The hosting company has a 1Gb limit for the database that stores forum info. The attachments were being stored in the database which had grown to 1.9 Gb. The fix should have been easy but the company hosting the site wouldn't even allow temporary access to make the change. Unfortunately we might have lost some attachments from the week or two before the forum stopped working.

i was starting to worry that you were going to pull a monodax on us

Not happening. I dedicated this entire weekend to solving this issue, and already had a backup plan in place if it didn't work. This stuff isn't part of my day job so when the site stopped working I had to do a bunch of learning, fast. Sorry it took so long. Didn't mean to scare anyone.

dave w
02-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Thank you for getting the site back up. Time is a very valuable commodity. I GREATLY APPRECIATE the time you spent in getting the site operational again!!! dave w

corvetteracing
02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Here Here

lionelhutz
02-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Good work!

babywag
02-05-2017, 07:10 PM
It's kind of a story, but it had to do with how much space the forum attachments were using and where they were stored. The hosting company has a 1Gb limit for the database that stores forum info. The attachments were being stored in the database which had grown to 1.9 Gb. The fix should have been easy but the company hosting the site wouldn't even allow temporary access to make the change. Unfortunately we might have lost some attachments from the week or two before the forum stopped working.

Not happening. I dedicated this entire weekend to solving this issue, and already had a backup plan in place if it didn't work. This stuff isn't part of my day job so when the site stopped working I had to do a bunch of learning, fast. Sorry it took so long. Didn't mean to scare anyone.

Thx for efforts in restoring the site. I know how much pain it can be. If you need any help feel free to ask. I did the IT thing for ~10yrs...lots of exciting issues requiring crash courses on obsolete/outdated systems that of course everyone needed back immediately.

steveo
02-05-2017, 08:21 PM

sounds familiar! i've taken over quite a few forums where we didn't even realize that forum software stored all the binaries in the database until it was way too late. the size of your database just doesn't seem like something you should check on periodically, since the whole time you're assuming it's just a bunch o' strings.

not at all, i was just joking around. you did great work. even simple operations with databases can be really bitchy if you don't work with them often.

Terminal_Crazy
02-05-2017, 08:43 PM
After a bit of work Gearhead-EFI is back up and running. Thanks to everyone who contacted me to offer help and / or financial assistance. This site wouldn't be as good without all the folks that pitch in to help.

Nice one!
I can't believe it was only 5 days, seems like it's been down years.

corvetteracing
02-06-2017, 01:14 AM
I just found this BCC prom look up [url]http://www.scotthansen.net/BCCLookup.pdf hope this help swww.scotthansen.net/BCCLookup.pdf copy & paste

1project2many
02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
I've seen a number of posts which had attachments that are no longer attached. In most cases the lost attachments are something other than an image file. It seems like they are all saved but the forum software lost track of them. I'm working on figuring out what to do to fix this but in the mean time, if there's one missing that you'd like I can try to pull it up and re-attach it.

Gojira94
02-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Would it be ok to just edit posts with missing images, etc. to put them back? All of my attached images from my TBI build/ tune thread are gone. (/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?6134-400FWHP-TBI-build-attempt-thread)

1project2many
02-18-2017, 01:17 AM
Absolutely! It makes life easier for me . :)

Gojira94
02-18-2017, 01:26 AM
Absolutely! It makes life easier for me . :)

Will do, thanks!

Queencityspeed
04-08-2017, 03:00 PM
How can I help support the forum. Donations etc?