PDA

View Full Version : Car running like shit

daveyhouse
01-28-2017, 08:35 PM
95 Fire bird supposedly 383 Stroker cam unknown, in fact we know nothing about it. Purchased because of said 383. The thing definitely shits and gits. Any way about couple minutes into driving it started to act up. Luckily I was logging when it happen. After a few more minutes I forced it into open loop to see if disabling the O2's would have an affect, nada. Where can I upload or send a copy of the log if anybody wants to have a peek. It was logged with scan 94/95 Thanks for any help, dave Saved as .xls Don't know how guys read these things this way but when graphed a lot of sensors are spiking. I'm kind of thinking after heat soak something is changing, or maybe I'm losing ground on ecm

dave w
01-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Most members here at gearhead-efi use TunerPro RT to data log LT1 engines. ... Have you looked at EE Hack?... http://fbodytech.com/eehack-2/ ... dave w

daveyhouse
01-28-2017, 11:03 PM
First let me say thank you for the reply, yes I have tried eehack, but once hooked to the vehicle it will not let me select the com port that I need. That selection is grayed out and I am unable to change it from com 1 to com 7, which is the one I need.

steveo
01-29-2017, 09:54 PM
First let me say thank you for the reply, yes I have tried eehack, but once hooked to the vehicle it will not let me select the com port that I need. That selection is grayed out and I am unable to change it from com 1 to com 7, which is the one I need.

there's nothing in eehack's code that would 'grey out' a comm port. it grabs the names of all your serial ports as strings and throws them in that list.

i'd like some more details and maybe i can provide a fix for you or figure out what's going on

although i do admit i never tested eehack with port numbers as high as com7...

steveo
01-29-2017, 10:00 PM
...i'm betting you're clicking 'connect' then trying to change the serial port. you have to be disconnected before eehack will let you change the port. that's the only 'disable' feature of the port selection widget.

dave w
01-29-2017, 10:17 PM
First let me say thank you for the reply, yes I have tried eehack, but once hooked to the vehicle it will not let me select the com port that I need. That selection is grayed out and I am unable to change it from com 1 to com 7, which is the one I need. What ALDL Cable are you using? ... dave w

daveyhouse
01-30-2017, 12:41 AM
...i'm betting you're clicking 'connect' then trying to change the serial port. you have to be disconnected before eehack will let you change the port. that's the only 'disable' feature of the port selection widget.You win, I was using a tablet, now I'm on a laptop and it worked by disconnecting then selecting com this one required com 5.Anyway here go

daveyhouse
01-30-2017, 12:46 AM
Does this work?

daveyhouse
01-30-2017, 01:28 AM
What ALDL Cable are you using? ... dave wIt's the boy's, car I think he bought everything from tunercat .comI will try to get a log with tunerpro within the next few days.This last log ran fine until it went into closed loop. Then things went crazy, missing, bucking, backfiring, etc.

daveyhouse
01-30-2017, 08:21 AM
When I get a chance I think I'm gonna check the grounds on everything especially the ecm, because I am seeing spikes on the rpm that never happened

steveo
01-31-2017, 01:16 AM
false twitches in rpm is usually a failing opti (but that usually sets a code)

ill look at your log when i get home, though

daveyhouse
01-31-2017, 01:51 AM
That has crossed my mind. Previous owner stated that it is new, It is a MSD :( , but it is shiny and new, but again it is MSD. He sold it because he couldnt figure what was wrong and gave up after replacing the opti. This engine was purchased from Georgia with approximately 500 miles on engine. We're in Pa. I will also include the current bin that is in it. I changed 3 things in the bin, and that was, 1: Vats disabled, but that didn't work, still throws security light and have to wait to start. 2: Enabled auto transmission because it wouldn't shift out of second, that did work, now all gears work. Previous owner also changed transmission probably because of that.3: lowered temps for fan on

daveyhouse
01-31-2017, 03:47 AM
I would like to add that odometer is way off. When doing about 30 or 40 it is reading over 100mph.It also supposed to have 4:11 diff

daveyhouse
02-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Looks like my uploads disappeared on me. I will try to upload them again, hopefully it wasn't me that crashed the site lol.New opti just arrived in mail today. Will try to get it installed next week.I did see a post from 2011 here > http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/309215-95-firebird-lt1-runs-like-jekyll-hyde/ with the same symptoms with spikes in the rpm on graph that did not show up on tach on vehicle. his was fixed with opti replacement.

steveo
02-05-2017, 10:17 AM
i've looked at your log and yeah, those RPM spikes are bad news. if it's not opti, i don't know what it is. really suprised it's not setting a code. also every time you hammer the throttle it immediately goes into knock retard. this could be timing jitter, but seriously, stop heavy throttle till you figure out what's wrong. i'd be worried something is going to blow.

daveyhouse
02-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Well after removing the new $500 MSD opti the previous owner put on trying to fix it, and replaced with new $60 opti (LOL) its running much better. Will get a log from cold start tomorrow morning. No more rpm spikes. Can't really get a good full throttle in there but I'll do what can. First 20 minutes will be in town driving gotta take boy and one his co-workers to work.

daveyhouse
02-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Okay as title the states I have attached a new log (hopefully). Somewhere around 20 minutes in, I was able to get a little bit of full throttle in. Next problem to address will be the speedometer, it is reading out the roof, which is causing the transmission to go thru the gears extremely fast. If I manually put it in 1st and leave it there, it will shift by itself to second probably around 10 mph, but the speedometer is reading 50.

daveyhouse
02-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Well the boy found that the ecm was programmed for a T56 and the car it is in is a 4l60e. He changed that and put in wheel size now it is reading low. Holding gears a little long but at least its not going thru ALL gears before actual 20 mph. lol

steveo
02-16-2017, 12:09 AM
good work so far. glad the opti helped. you should send the opti to msd, they will fix it. the $60 one will not last