PDA

View Full Version : TBI tuning

dhworkin
01-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Hello, glad to find this site. Bought my 95 gmc new and drove it 419500 miles before loosing oil pressure. Pulled 305 and installed 350 L31r vortec w/ lunati 20080660 cam, edelbrock 2716 vortec to carb manifold with throttle body from SPR bored to 46 mm, headers to 3in exhaust and the custom chip kit from Harris performance.I've been having trouble w/ tuning and I hope to get right with the help on this site.

dave w
01-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Most members, including myself, use TunerPro RT to tune TBI. ... TunerPro RT can be configured for Wide Band O2 Sensor (WBO2) tuning, see attached screen shot. ... WBO2 Tuning is how I would tune your TBI engine ... dave w

lionelhutz
01-24-2017, 06:44 PM
419500 miles is impressive. You new combo should be quite an improvement. Unfortunately, TBIChips has been known to supply this type of upgrade with chips that don't work which sours the person on the EFI system being any good. So, it's a bit of a learning curve but get an emulator on it with TunerproRT and you'll get it right.

dhworkin
02-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys, I bought the cable and went to tunerpro,download RT, registered and I'm getting nothing on the computer ,hardware not found and XDF file invalid. I watch the tutorial on YouTube and I'm not totally computer illiterate but I must be missing that one button or that one file exchange can anyone direct me to the right direction.

dave w
02-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Did you install the USB Cable driver? ... Here is the link for the USB Cable driver ... http://www.moates.net/usb-driver-p-215.html?cPath=78 ... When I install the driver, I plug my USB Cable into the laptop and run the CDM20824_Setup.exe file directly from the website. Sometimes I have run the CDM20824_Setup.exe a second time. ... You will need to configure the "COM PORT" after installing the driver. ... dave w

dhworkin
02-14-2017, 02:41 AM
I downloaded cd and got a com port 3 and I'm not sure where to go from here, still want find hardware on tunerpro rt. I'm running windows 8, could that be the problem?

Eds
02-14-2017, 03:26 AM
Try this as windows 8 is not the problem. Open TunerPro, Tools, Preferences, Data Act./Emulation tab and key on Configure Plug-in Component and set to comport 3 as you noted.

dhworkin
02-14-2017, 04:58 AM
I was able to change from com1 to com 3 but no hardware found. I checked and cable was found and functional.

dhworkin
02-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Still not connecting but I'm getting close. Could it be the wiring in the truck or the chip has a block on it?

dhworkin
02-15-2017, 06:51 PM
I haven't been able to get Turner Pro RT to connect and have spent hours trying to, watching videos and asking help on forums, I feel like I've been lead in the wrong direction and left out to dry.

uncabob
02-16-2017, 07:07 PM
I haven't been able to get Turner Pro RT to connect and have spent hours trying to, watching videos and asking help on forums, I feel like I've been lead in the wrong direction and left out to dry.

Hey DH :-)
Hate to see anyone get discouraged on this. I'm pretty green too. But there are a few things here that I'm not following.
What ECM,
what hardware,
what XDF are you using?
Did you download the set-up Dave suggested in post 5? I've had to run set-up several times and just keep it in my tool bar.
It's too soon to give up.
Bob

Tbrendal
02-17-2017, 02:43 AM
Did you download the cable driver???

lionelhutz
02-17-2017, 07:14 PM
I haven't used Tunerpro in months but I believe it always says Hardware Not Found unless you have an emulator connected. You just connect the cable, load the adx file (not the xdf file), setup the comm port and then use <ctrl>F4 to connect.

dave w
02-18-2017, 03:59 AM
I haven't been able to get Turner Pro RT to connect and have spent hours trying to, watching videos and asking help on forums, I feel like I've been lead in the wrong direction and left out to dry. What .adx file are you using??? dave w

dhworkin
03-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Thank you for the help, I had to take a break and educate myself a lot more before attempting to connect. Now that I can connect to tunerpro rt I'm ready for the next learning curve. I'm going to try and record a data log today, which I think is the next step. The ADX file that I am using is $31, is this ok for my setup with the mod's that I have? Or does it matter? My goal is to get the fuel corrected and get better mileage.

dhworkin
03-21-2017, 05:27 PM
I've got connection, data and can playback. What should I do next? This is getting fun and I'm ready to learn more.

57 Handyman
06-20-2017, 12:57 AM
dhworkin,

How you progressing with your learning curve? I'm also new to this kind of stuff so I am interested and going to follow this thread...although somewhat old...to learn along with you.

dhworkin
06-21-2017, 04:46 AM
Hey Handyman, I've learned the tunerpro rt program enough to make changes and correct my truck from running rich. dave W helped and was the one that got me into it. I asked questions and got no reply(that happens a lot on this forum) at times but as I learned more, they were stupid questions. At first I watched youtube turtorials and that was confusing, and lead to more ignorant questions. The help tab on the top toolbar in tunerpro rt helped me the most, so I read the help topics and I was on my way to make a few more mistakes, but with the help of this forum I worked it out. I don't know a lot, but I can help with the getting started part of the process, data logging and working with the ostich 2.

57 Handyman
06-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Thanks for responding. I will be asking for some help shortly as I recently upgraded the 16144288 TBI ECM in my '92 4.3L S10 to a 16168625 TBI PCM out of a '93 4.3L Sierra. I decided to upgrade to a PCM since the 4.3L is semi-modified and would enable more turning. Because tuning is new to me, I wanted to be able to swap back to my stock ECM setup in the event I screwed up something when tuning. Thus, I made an adapter to do this.

At the moment, I have the adapter and 8625 installed but have a fuel issue. Once I get those issues resolved and embark on making the kinds of changes to the PCM, I will begin asking questions and seeking help.

57 Handyman
08-05-2017, 11:17 AM
dhworkin, this is just an update. A few weeks ago, I was very fortunate to find someone selling a used but complete Moates APU1 setup on this site. The price was more than reasonable so I jumped at it and was able to get it. This past week, I've been trying to get TunerPro RT to connect with the AutoProm via the serial USB and COM port. Slowly by read and re-reading, as well as clicking on buttons in TP, I am making some progress.

Once I get this part down pat and have confidence that I know what I'm doing, I want to read, copy, and download the .bin that is currently in the old 16144288 ECM.

I'm still tracking this thread to see if you have found answers to your problem.

dhworkin
08-05-2017, 04:41 PM
57 handyman, yes I've gotten past the connecting problems and have made changes in realtime with my ostrich 2. It's time to do more changes bc I got my a/c working and I'm having idle problems with the compressor on and in drive. I installed dual fans and when the comp is running the voltage drops and the engine tries to stall.

notime2d8
08-07-2017, 07:16 PM
57 handyman, yes I've gotten past the connecting problems and have made changes in realtime with my ostrich 2. It's time to do more changes bc I got my a/c working and I'm having idle problems with the compressor on and in drive. I installed dual fans and when the comp is running the voltage drops and the engine tries to stall.

I had this same issue with a weak battery. What alternator do you have? And what's your idle speed set to?

dhworkin
08-08-2017, 03:12 PM
I was hoping it was the battery, but a new one made no difference. I bought the powermaster 140 and it looks good but no better. After the build I installed a stall converter bc of the cam, so I can have the idle set higher just to keep it from stalling at stops. The iac tested good, but I may change it even though it came new with the SPR performance throttle body I bought. It runs perfect and will idle down to 500(but I set it at 650) if you don't use the a/c. I put it in drive turned a/c on high,high beams on,and then adjusted idle at the throttle body until it stayed running, but it doesn't go as high as you would think since the set screw was turned 4 full turn after initial set. Other than not being able to hear the cam lope as well, the trans down shifts hard in all gears as it comes to a stop. Plus I don't like a rig fix, I want it right.

notime2d8
08-08-2017, 05:06 PM
I was hoping it was the battery, but a new one made no difference. I bought the powermaster 140 and it looks good but no better. After the build I installed a stall converter bc of the cam, so I can have the idle set higher just to keep it from stalling at stops. The iac tested good, but I may change it even though it came new with the SPR performance throttle body I bought. It runs perfect and will idle down to 500(but I set it at 650) if you don't use the a/c. I put it in drive turned a/c on high,high beams on,and then adjusted idle at the throttle body until it stayed running, but it doesn't go as high as you would think since the set screw was turned 4 full turn after initial set. Other than not being able to hear the cam lope as well, the trans down shifts hard in all gears as it comes to a stop. Plus I don't like a rig fix, I want it right.

You're supposed to set the idle in the bin not with the screw. Then you adjust the screw until your IAC counts are around 10 at idle. I think this may be your problem. If the computer is set at 500rpm and you manually set it to 650rpm it's going to be constantly trying to bring the idle down. That would mess up your timing and IAC....the things that help recover your idle when the engine gets a load.