PDA

View Full Version : $OD Lean Cruise

PJG1173
02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
is there a lean cruise in $0D?

EagleMark
02-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I don't know of a Lean Cruise patch like there is for $42 but I have heard guys you can do something in tune to make it happen. Once I get the kids truck running I'll have a lot of time to play with $OE :jfj:

RobertISaar
02-23-2012, 11:56 PM
if someone has a good hack, i could probably make up a patch for 0D similar to the way the 42 one works.

obviously, someone would need to beta test it before it goes full-public though.

EagleMark
02-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Since they are very simalar it shouldn't be hard to duplicate. I will test $OE! :jfj:

93V8S10 knows these well. $OD was for 4L60E and $OE was for 4L80E but couple of us are running $OE manual

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 12:16 AM
plenty of space starting at 6B83 to impliment a patch in 0D, i'll assume 0E is similar.

what all do you guys want in terms of prerequistes to enter/stay in lean cruise? time since startup/coolant temp/etc?

and other than obviously a modified AFR, do you want anything else to be triggered be lean cruise? added/removed SA?

and i assume you'll want a table for determining the target AFR based on MAP? or MAP and RPM or ?????

JeepsAndGuns
02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
I could also be a test mule. I am running $0E with a manual trans. I also just installed a innovate wideband 02 and gauge, so I can actually watch and see if its working, and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt do anything funky.

I would think a timer or "delay" would be a good idea. That way when you set up what parameters need to be met to enable it, it will then start a timer to engage it. That way its not constantly trying to kick it on, then back off.

I have no clue how it exactly works in $42. But thinking of what it does, I would think the way I would want it to work, would be set up parameters to only enable it above XX MPH. Add something in there for map, so if the map drops below a specific range, it drops out of lean mode and goeas back to regular. I would think this would be good when pulling hills. I would think pulling a hill, or hitting the gas to pass someone, you wouldnt want it to be lean. And then add a timer or delay, for when you get above XX MPH, and below XX MAP, start a delay of mabey 30 seconds then enable. Then as long as your above XX mph, and stay below XX map, it will stay in lean mode. Probably would be a good idea to add a temp parameter, that way you have to be above a specific temp to enable it (so it doesnt kick on, with a cold engine). Mabey a max temp would be wise too? That way, if you start running hot, and temp climbs, it goes back to regular fuel to help keep from over heating. (I know leaner = usaly hotter engine)

But I have no idea if something like that could be set up, as I have no clue about how the HW lean mode works, or how you could hack/add something like that to a code.

gregs78cam
02-24-2012, 03:04 AM
I'll test the beta as well. I run $0E in both my truck and Camaro, and they could both use a little better mpg.

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 03:08 AM
all of that stuff is relatively easy to setup, assuming there is some free RAM leftover for the timer itself.

but once there is a general agreement on what all it should be, i'll write up a patch, and whoever wants to test it will need to send me a BIN, i'll apply the patch, send it back, test, refine if necessary, then release.

someone would probably need to reformat my work a bit to make it assembler-friendly though, since i do all of my patching via a hex editor.

gregs78cam
02-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Speaking of 'patches', I have been wondering this for a while......Is there a difference between "patching the bin" using whatever DOS program, and just writing the code in the bin using the hex editor, like what we do with the cooling fan code?

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 03:33 AM
as long as you end up with the same file by both methods, then no, the only difference is time.

unfortunately, i can't seem to get ahold of any assemblers for the 6811 that work with a x64 OS (Vista Ultimate x64), so i have to patch it old-school.

once one is patched though, you can make an XDF with all of the locations of the patch defined and literally copy/paste the patch from one BIN to another.

gregs78cam
02-24-2012, 03:48 AM
OK, that is what I figured, just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 04:00 AM
yeah... this won't be too bad though, compared to my nAst1 project. i expect maybe 75-100 bytes of algorithm for this, plus whatever calibration bytes do get decided upon.

as a comparison, in normal 6D/88/8F/A1/DF/P66 V6:

there is no timer for high fuel alone (just for high spark)
there is a MPH requirement and hysteresis companion
"highway spark" mode must be active to allow highway fuel (which also serves as a secondary MAP cutoff)
option for 4th gear only
option for TCC locked only
minimum coolant temp
minimum RPM
maximum MAP

now in my personally modded P66 V6 code, i've made it a requirement for both high spark and high fuel requirements to be met before either is allowed to activate, essentially making my high spark stuff a "highway fuel active spark modification".

FSJ Guy
02-24-2012, 04:04 AM
I'm running $0D with an automatic, but not using the transmission control, and would be glad to help out, too. I have easy access to a 75mph highway to test it, too. :D

Lean cruise would be an awesome addition to an already excellent code/computer combination!

93V8S10
02-24-2012, 04:59 AM
There is a way of doing something similar to lean cruise in $E6, $0D, $0E, and $31. $0D listed.

Title: Open Loop AFR Enable
Usage: Air Fuel Mode Words
Tips: Enables use of L4BB4 "Open Loop AFR vs. Temperature vs. Vacuum" table for closed loop fueling, when coolant temperature less than L48C7 "Maximum Temperature for AFR Lookup in Closed Loop". Can be used for a "lean cruise" or other specific fueling conditions.

Title: Maximum Temperature for AFR Lookup in Closed Loop
Usage: Closed Loop Qualifiers
Tips: If temperature less than setting, table at L4BB4 "Open Loop AFR vs. Temperature vs. Vacuum" will be used for closed loop fueling instead of L48DD "Stoichiometric AFR", but only if L400D Bit 0 "Open Loop AFR Enabled" is enabled.

Title: Stoichiometric AFR
Usage: Open Loop AFR Parameters
Tips: Used if temperature greater than L48C6 "Minimum Temperature for Closed Loop". Used if temperature greater than L48C7 "Maximum Temperature for AFR Lookup in Closed Loop" if L400D Bit 0 "Open Loop AFR Enabled" is enabled.

Title: Quasi- Closed Loop Lower AFR Limit

Title: Open Loop AFR vs. Temperature vs. Vacuum
Usage: Open Loop AFR Tables
Tips: Normally used for open loop but can be used in closed loop if L400D Bit 0 "Open Loop AFR Enabled" is enabled and temperature is greater than L48C6 "Minimum Temperature for Closed Loop" and temperature is less than L48C7 "Maximum Temperature for AFR Lookup in Closed Loop".

EagleMark
02-24-2012, 05:05 AM
TunerPro has a S19 option I could never get to work. The $42 Lean Cruise Patch was a S19 file, I made some changes to it and got it to work through Command Prompt in windows 7. But $42 had it built in and turned off. The paremeters for it to work would be all we need I think. The XDF items are in $42-1227747-V3.xdf Here's a write up with S19 patch file and how to. HTH!
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?351-Enable-Highway-Cruise-on-1227747-ECM

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 05:17 AM
that solves the problem of patching using a S19 file, but how to generate a S19 file without an assembler?

i've also never got the patch option to work, but it's new to me so IDK.

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 05:24 AM
i hate to do so, but maybe i'll have to drop back down to a 32 bit OS...

EagleMark
02-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Well the files are there, numbers and locations would have to be changed. But that is beyond me?

I think what is does is fine though. Here's a look at XDF paramaters. 30 MPH IS TO LOW!!!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=604&d=1322551200

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 06:06 AM
update: i got dosbox working with 16 bit DOS programs in Vista 64....

now to find a good assembler.

EagleMark
02-24-2012, 06:57 AM
I think Microsoft was on drugs when they made Vista...

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
i've had every version of windows at one time from 3.1 to 7....

gotta say, Vista has given me the least trouble lately.

also, i found a disassembler that works for me! :)

PJG1173
02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
i hate to do so, but maybe i'll have to drop back down to a 32 bit OS...
you can run a 32 bit virtual machine off your current OS using MS virtual PC. I often do this for testing software installs. You could run windows 3.1 if you really wanted to.

EagleMark
02-24-2012, 07:08 AM
I thought you had a good dissasembler and needed an assembler?

Windows 7 has been good to me like XP, but Vista may as well have been a Mac...

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
i remember those days... and a lot of Wolf.exe.
:rockon:
however, the MGTEK assembler seems to work natively on a 64bit OS, so i'll be going that route once i figure out the quirks of it.

EDIT: and i mistyped earlier, i meant to say assembler.

EagleMark
02-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Windows 7 84 bit you can right click on application icon for program and run compatbility mode down to windows 98 or 95?

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
depends on the application. almost all 6811 assemblers are 16 bit DOS programs, which don't seem to work in any 64 bit version of windows without some type of emulation. the MGTEK one is a 32 bit DOS program, which is why it works.

jim_in_dorris
02-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Hmmm have to try that. I have ASM11 running on my XP Laptop (It's dedicated to tuning) but when I play around on my desktop I can't assemble stuff (Win 7 pro 64 bit). Does MGTEK make S19 files? How does it like source files formatted?

woody80z28
02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Robert, you created the lean cruise option for $A1? I've been using that in my Beretta and it's awesome (32mpg!). I got it from Superdave IIRC along with the wideband hack, but never knew the original source.

I'd be happy try it out on $0D.

RobertISaar
02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Hmmm have to try that. I have ASM11 running on my XP Laptop (It's dedicated to tuning) but when I play around on my desktop I can't assemble stuff (Win 7 pro 64 bit). Does MGTEK make S19 files? How does it like source files formatted?

i'm trying to figure out it's preferred format now, but can't find any real documentation. i got it from Dimented24x7, so he would probably know.

Robert, you created the lean cruise option for $A1? I've been using that in my Beretta and it's awesome (32mpg!). I got it from Superdave IIRC along with the wideband hack, but never knew the original source.

I'd be happy try it out on $0D.

i didn't create the A1 lean cruise, GM did. i have it enhanced in my personal files though.

jim_in_dorris
02-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Well, let me try this again. I guess I shouldn't post at 1 am. LOL. Anyways, MGTEK is asm11. It works fine in my Win 7 64 bit environment. Unfortunately, exbin which converts the S19 file to a bin doesn't work in Win 7 64 bit. I still have to do that on the laptop. I have a $0D file I got from dimented that I have edited heavily to a. match the bin I want to start with, and b. look the way I want it in Notepad++. Robert, if you would like to have a copy of it so you can see how it works (format wise) pm me with your email.

EagleMark
02-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, let me try this again. I guess I shouldn't post at 1 am. LOL. Anyways, MGTEK is asm11. It works fine in my Win 7 64 bit environment. Unfortunately, exbin which converts the S19 file to a bin doesn't work in Win 7 64 bit. I still have to do that on the laptop. I have a $0D file I got from dimented that I have edited heavily to a. match the bin I want to start with, and b. look the way I want it in Notepad++. Robert, if you would like to have a copy of it so you can see how it works (format wise) pm me with your email.Maybe you guys could find time to explain what an S19 file is? I know it is used to make changes in bin and I know it was origanlly intended to work in DOS but an updated version was made for windows. I took all the files from a S19 file for DOS and used them in a S19 file for windows and it works from command prompt in my Windows 7 84 bit... so maybe just the updated Windows S19 file would end this issue? S19 Windows files are in zip folder here.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?351-Enable-Highway-Cruise-on-1227747-ECM

PJG1173
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybe you guys could find time to explain what an S19 file is? I know it is used to make changes in bin and I know it was origanlly intended to work in DOS but an updated version was made for windows. I took all the files from a S19 file for DOS and used them in a S19 file for windows and it works from command prompt in my Windows 7 84 bit... so maybe just the updated Windows S19 file would end this issue? S19 Windows files are in zip folder here.

I'd like to find a write up on how to dissassemble a bin just so I can see what the programing language looks like. does anyone know where there are any writeups?

EagleMark
02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks to a lot of guys one inpaticular RBob most hacs are done! I learned this while wanting to learn the same thing and the more I learned the more I relaized I could be a better use doing other things that I have skills at like websites!

Here's a good thread on process...
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/574079-getting-started-w-disassembly.html

93V8S10
02-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I think there is a write-up over at TGO in the tuning sticky. But if all you want to do is see the programming language, then look ata hack or the $0D fan code, it’s written the same as a hack, just neater.

Here are some tools to help you interpret what your reading:

RobertISaar
02-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, let me try this again. I guess I shouldn't post at 1 am. LOL. Anyways, MGTEK is asm11. It works fine in my Win 7 64 bit environment. Unfortunately, exbin which converts the S19 file to a bin doesn't work in Win 7 64 bit. I still have to do that on the laptop. I have a $0D file I got from dimented that I have edited heavily to a. match the bin I want to start with, and b. look the way I want it in Notepad++. Robert, if you would like to have a copy of it so you can see how it works (format wise) pm me with your email.

sweet, the formatting it likes is the only thing stopping me from using it. just add @yahoo.com to my username here.

Maybe you guys could find time to explain what an S19 file is? I know it is used to make changes in bin and I know it was origanlly intended to work in DOS but an updated version was made for windows. I took all the files from a S19 file for DOS and used them in a S19 file for windows and it works from command prompt in my Windows 7 84 bit... so maybe just the updated Windows S19 file would end this issue? S19 Windows files are in zip folder here.

S19 is a file format that is generated by an assembler from a .ASM file. it's actually a bunch of hex code and addresses and checksums all rolled into a somewhat compact file. you then use a S19 patching utility (RBob's latest version works with 64-bit) to apply the S19 file to a target BIN. the problem is that there are very few assemblers that work natively in 64-bit to create a S19 file from an ASM.

PJG1173
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
I think there is a write-up over at TGO in the tuning sticky. But if all you want to do is see the programming language, then look ata hack or the $0D fan code, it’s written the same as a hack, just neater.

Here are some tools to help you interpret what your reading:

looks like some great info. lots of reading to do

Fast355
02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Well the files are there, numbers and locations would have to be changed. But that is beyond me?

I think what is does is fine though. Here's a look at XDF paramaters. 30 MPH IS TO LOW!!!

I have used 25-30 mph for lean cruise for years. Plenty of times you are in 2nd or 3rd gear with the converter locked at no load in traffic where you are wasting fuel.

$OD can have the parameters reworked to run in a lean cruise like mode that actually works quite well. I used it with my TPI setup on my 305 Vortec. 20-21 mpg in a 5,500 lbs brick cruising 70-75 mph. Just make sure your VE tables are really dialed in before you try the open loop cruise.

EagleMark
02-11-2013, 12:26 AM
There was a guy here trying to get $0D to lean cruise, but never had luck getting it dialed in?

On my $42, it's not a tweak, but actual Lean Cruise, never had luck at 20 to 30 MPH, had to set MAP to low so load would kick it off. Then on highway MAP was to low for slight hills. I settled for 40 MPH, no issues on highway and it covers most of my non highway driving here.

trlrider
05-05-2021, 05:39 AM
To invoke a old thread, but did anyone ever get Lean Cruise to work in a $0D or $E6??

05-12-2021, 06:37 AM
I haven't played with it yet but there is the open loop afr vs temp vs vacuum table and the associated qualifiers that look like you could setup to open loop lean cruise. The description says it can also be used in closed loop mode but I'm curious as to what happens if you do that and the computer is calling for 16:1 closed loop afr with a narrowband o2 sensor.

trlrider
06-08-2021, 05:46 AM
I haven't played with it yet but there is the open loop afr vs temp vs vacuum table and the associated qualifiers that look like you could setup to open loop lean cruise. The description says it can also be used in closed loop mode but I'm curious as to what happens if you do that and the computer is calling for 16:1 closed loop afr with a narrowband o2 sensor.

Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. That will be another notebook once I finally get this truck running well without the added tweaks. Eventually it will be making some long highway runs out of state and the added fuel mileage would be a huge bonus.
Learning as I go and trying to contribute when I can based on what I have learned.

Fast355
06-08-2021, 06:04 AM
Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. That will be another notebook once I finally get this truck running well without the added tweaks. Eventually it will be making some long highway runs out of state and the added fuel mileage would be a huge bonus.
Learning as I go and trying to contribute when I can based on what I have learned.

From memory from playing with the AFR lockup table eons ago, the PCM disables fuel trims when the air/fuel ratio commanded is different than stoich. I had the lookup tables enabled and the BLMs or INTs never moved.

trlrider
06-08-2021, 06:27 AM
From memory from playing with the AFR lockup table eons ago, the PCM disables fuel trims when the air/fuel ratio commanded is different than stoich. I had the lookup tables enabled and the BLMs or INTs never moved.you

FAST355, your input is greatly appreciated. I am learning this TBI/EFI stuff and have learned much from your post on this and the 3rd Gen forums.

06-11-2021, 04:42 PM
I did some more reading and from what I gather, once you have your VE table perfectly dialed in stock/closed loop mode you can then set your calibration to run in open loop full-time. When you do this the computer refers to the open loop AFR tables and extrapolates fueling based on the assumption your VE table is perfect and = 14.7 AFR. Which if you think about it is pretty handy they did it that way.

Check out the pdf I attached. In it the author says what he did is scrapped the EGR valve, set EGR fueling modifiers to 0 and set the EGR timing modifier map to duplicate the extra timing the old TBI highway mode did. By monkeying with the EGR qualifiers you could set it add the extra timing only when at a steady high-map cruise with the engine at full operating temp. A neat work-around I would like to try!

trlrider
06-11-2021, 09:14 PM
I did some more reading and from what I gather, once you have your VE table perfectly dialed in stock/closed loop mode you can then set your calibration to run in open loop full-time. When you do this the computer refers to the open loop AFR tables and extrapolates fueling based on the assumption your VE table is perfect and = 14.7 AFR. Which if you think about it is pretty handy they did it that way.

Check out the pdf I attached. In it the author says what he did is scrapped the EGR valve, set EGR fueling modifiers to 0 and set the EGR timing modifier map to duplicate the extra timing the old TBI highway mode did. By monkeying with the EGR qualifiers you could set it add the extra timing only when at a steady high-map cruise with the engine at full operating temp. A neat work-around I would like to try!

Have that Tuning .pdf printed and use for reference. It has notes written on the first several pages. LOL!

Turnshredder
03-02-2022, 09:24 AM

I never got it to work always goes to 14.7, I don't see how a narrow band sensor could read much different, I messed with all the qualifiers and tables.