PDA

View Full Version : FITech systems

Loyd
11-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Has anyone installed one of these units FiTech 4 barrel EFI systems. Thinking about using one to replace the TBi in my OBS 1994 350/4L60E. Just wondering what problems would we run into.

lionelhutz
11-29-2016, 02:52 AM
It won't control the transmission.

Loyd
11-29-2016, 03:33 AM
Yes, I know it does not control the tranny so how is the tranny controlled?

babywag
11-29-2016, 03:54 AM
'94 uses a pcm which controls the engine AND the transmission.
I don't see any real advantage to the FiTech in your application.

Loyd
11-29-2016, 06:26 PM
I am having problems with fuel flow. the back 2 cyc are running rich to the point of fouling the plugs. We think it maybe caused by the adapter plate not evenly putting fuel in the intake. this is a 355, roller rv can, aluminum heads with 2.09 intake and 1.6 exhaust. according to the AFM wbo2 13 at idle and 14.8 at cruising. we put a little hotter plugs in and that helped some. we have been tuning the chip with Dave W and he has it running pretty good but the power goes away at around 4.5k and the vacuum goes up which means the intake system is not big enough. that is why we are looking at the FiTech system

lionelhutz
11-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Use a 4-barrel throttle body with injectors and sensors but without any electronics?

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/ez-efir-style-precision-cast-throttle-body-and-injector-assembly-2-injector-versionhtml/

Unfortunately, it's not that cheap but then again it's still cheaper than a whole FiTech system. There are other similar versions around, you just have to find them. Ebay might have some cheaper version available.

babywag
11-30-2016, 12:15 AM
It is your choice, but having seen the tuning software, added with the lack of transmission support I would spend my $ elsewhere.
Why not convert to an 0411 based system?

Nasty-Z
11-30-2016, 04:35 AM
Installed a Go EFI 800 P/A system on a warm 454 BBC , totally unimpressed . Had to piggyback the factory '7060 (eeek....) to control the trans . Tuning software is a joke , as well as the handheld controller . Support from FiTech is basically non existent . I wouldn't buy one for myself .

You (OP) have a very mild build , I am surprised you are having problems with the TBI . Might start checking other things other than fuel delivery . Single plane intake ? What adapter plate ?

Just my .02

TOM

Loyd
11-30-2016, 06:27 PM
we did a mild system for drivabilty. we put a edelbrock 3701 with an adapter plate because the aluminum aftermarket heads would not allow the tbi manifold to work. we think the heads with the big valves and 200 cc intake runners require more air/fuel than what the tbi can do. The tbi has the mods and flow check and balanced injectors from the stock 350. It sounds wicked at idle and WO and if I keep the rpms up to at least 1.5 it does not load up but fuel goes as fast as the truck. Using no ethanol 94 octane gas. thanks for any thought on this

Nasty-Z
11-30-2016, 07:40 PM
I would not run a TBI with a dual plane manifold , TBI loves a single plane manifold , period.

I would have no clue what Dave is doing in the tune but I would suffice to say he is way more savy than I with these systems so I will not question anything there .

You didn't mention cam specs ? Do you have a cam card ? I am assuming you are using the '7427 PCM (Or equivalent)

Suffice to say , I have personally used a TBI on small block Chevy's (And BBC's ) making much more power than your combo , while tuning was challenging , it was not the end of the world .

Something is amiss , somewhere .

Have you considered using a BBC TBI unit ?

TOM

1BadAction
11-30-2016, 09:32 PM
FITech is getting a horrible rep in the community at large. There was one guy talking about how great it ran and how easy to tune it was on a facebook page about a year ago, then the truth came out... he was someone getting paid to use their parts with factory in-person support. I would stay away personally, but like anything it can be made to work I'm sure.

lionelhutz
11-30-2016, 10:38 PM
I've run a TBI and home made adapter plate on a 2101 Performer intake and it worked quite well without any fuel distribution problems. I pretty much just used a 1/4" plate of aluminum and hole sawed 2 holes for the TBI bores by centering the TBI over the plenum.

Loyd
12-01-2016, 01:04 AM
the first adapter plate was for 2" bore and would not work with the 1 7/8 bore. vacuum leak due to tbi too close to the opening. got the smaller which locates the tbi in the center of the intake. no more leaks. think I will get a 2" tbi with larger injectors. would be a lot cheaper than an after market FI unit and no worried about ecu stuff

1BadAction
12-01-2016, 05:34 AM
the first adapter plate was for 2" bore and would not work with the 1 7/8 bore. vacuum leak due to tbi too close to the opening. got the smaller which locates the tbi in the center of the intake. no more leaks. think I will get a 2" tbi with larger injectors. would be a lot cheaper than an after market FI unit and no worried about ecu stuff

I actually have a bone stock factory bbc throttle body fresh off my truck if you're interested.

Loyd
12-01-2016, 06:46 AM
I actually have a bone stock factory bbc throttle body fresh off my truck if you're interested.how much? answer PM

Tom B.
09-12-2017, 01:20 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the FI-tech pro cal software? I am tuning a car w/o power adder TB. Fi-tech is no help. I would rather pay some one for a copy of the software than give Fi Tech another dime.

Tom B.
09-12-2017, 05:32 AM
I have the files now if anyone needs them. I should have the drivers for the handheld asap.

Tom B.
09-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Found the drivers.

Nasty-Z
09-12-2017, 07:02 PM
I believe I have all of the Pro Cal files , but still lack the handheld files .

If you are in the sharing mood I would take a copy of what you have and I will return what I have just to be sure the files are the same .

tomsnastyz@yahoo.com is my email address

Thanks

TOM

Tom B.
09-12-2017, 07:40 PM
I'll send them now. Look for goldstandard@tutanota.com

Tom B.
09-12-2017, 07:53 PM
My email server kicked back. I will send it from tmbl01@yahoo.com

buddrow
09-13-2017, 12:23 AM
FYI, there is a FITech owners Facebook group, which is worlds above Fitechs actual tech support if you are interested. This particular group is NOT admin'd by Fitech, but actual owners and tuners.

With that said, I would never personally buy nor endorse Fitech just from their lack of quality control and/or parts.

Bud

Tom B.
09-13-2017, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I don't do any social media. I will have to get one of the kids to look it up. Team Chevelle has a huge FiTech support group as well.

34blazer
09-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Bud and I have been on the owners group page helping. I have the Pro Cal software and can also add parameters to the handheld definition, if needed. I haven't been around for awhile, but plan to visit more often.

0midnight5
11-13-2017, 03:55 PM
i did allot of testing on the FItech systems and compared them to similar Holley and edelbrock systems on a engine dyno and FItech performed the best. i would get one.