PDA

View Full Version : Flash chips EE pcm

space387
11-27-2016, 07:21 AM
I am preparing to start tuning my LT1 not that I have repaired all the under hood systems and have been looking to pick up replacement flash IC's as backups. I have the 2 pulled from my original PCM but it corrupted itself while driving so I don't completely trust them. I have found a number of AN28F512-120 and -150 chips but none that are marked exactly like what I pulled. Are these acceptable replacement chips or will the cause a catastrophic failure if I use them? I am being a bit extra cautious as the last time I tried flashing these pcm's I bricked 2. Since then I have replaced the harness that I believe to be the cause, all the data wires where either hacked together from a rodent infestation with the last owner or corroded badly.

steveo
11-28-2016, 07:48 PM
they're discontinued, you need to find old stock ones and they aren't as cheap as some other chips, that's for sure.

if you type AN28F512-120 into ebay you'll get plenty of choices.

as long as they say 'AN28F512-120' and have the big intel i on it, they should work fine. the long code at the bottom doesn't matter.

don't buy -150 chips, those are for 96+ ecms, they're a different speed

steveo
11-28-2016, 07:50 PM
don't be afraid to buy used chips either, these things are good for thousands and thousands of flash cycles. they're usually only corrupt due to a flash gone wrong, not due to a chip failure. so really if you buy two or three chips you're good to go. if you de-solder your old ones carefully enough, you can fold the pins in and re-use them in a socket too.