PDA

View Full Version : EFI on older engine platform.

L.C.Gray
08-31-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to learn more about retrofitting EFI to an older engine. I'm putting together a '70 351 Cleveland 4V for my first gen Mustang. I would like to go with EFI on it from day one. I realize that there's easy routes to go like FITech and other TBI kits, but what I am really wanting to do is go with the multiport EFI that was common on the Windsors. I know there's a lot parts, both stock and aftermarket, knowledge and support for this system so it ought to be both a good performing and economically viable multi port system to run. I know all the hard parts are available out there, my biggest question revolves around the availability of stand alone ECU and wiring harness to run it all. I would also like to get rid of the distributor and let the ECU run the ignition with a coil on plug system. Anybody out there done a setup like this yet?

91ss
09-01-2016, 01:51 AM
Oh, not new at all. Will be doing it to my 70 mach once the engine goes back in. You're on the wrong site though lol. Few guys you can read about over on eectuning.org and efidynotuning.com one user comes to mind, shaker. or shaker something. It's been done with eec-iv (fox mustang) up to later eec-v's. Think that's where he's at. Come check out the sites
-85GT

91ss
09-01-2016, 01:53 AM
Oh, not new at all. Will be doing it to my 70 mach once the engine goes back in. You're on the wrong site though lol. Few guys you can read about over on eectuning.org and efidynotuning.com one user comes to mind, shaker. or shaker something. It's been done with eec-iv (fox mustang) up to later eec-v's. Think that's where he's at. Come check out the sites
-85GT

Oh, and any of the ford eec's can be wire'd to be 'stand alone' and much much cheaper

Shawanda
09-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Few guys you can read about over on eectuning.org one user comes to mind, shaker. or shaker something.

dave w
09-18-2018, 01:31 AM
I understand the goal to use a Ford computer.

The low cost option of using a GM 16197427 PCM configured for MPFI mode is worth a keyboard strokes. The 1619747 PCM in MPFI mode works well with "High Impedance" injectors (including Ford "High Impedance" injectors).

dave w