PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Santa Cruz - K5 Project

2Dogs
08-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Hello All,
Newb here :rockon:

I am joining this forum for assistance in my project of upgrading a TBI 350 (l05?) in a 91 K5 but within California Smog emissions/standards. When I am organized and know where to post I will be looking for these things:

* TBI how/where to start - programs, tuning, etc....
* Confirm long-block build as likely to pass with good TBI tune (hoping to start with the HT383e)
* what exhaust manifolds should I plan on using?
* Anything else I should look at

Thank you in advance!

fastacton
08-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Welcome! It does suck to have to deal with our smog requirements, but there are things you can do. I'm in Fresno and have a TBI K5 as well (but mine is smog exempt). We'll try to help when you're ready.

2Dogs
08-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Welcome! It does suck to have to deal with our smog requirements, but there are things you can do. I'm in Fresno and have a TBI K5 as well (but mine is smog exempt). We'll try to help when you're ready.

Thank you! I am interested to hear specifics on your K5! Are you part of CK5 and/or Fresno 4WD?

fastacton
08-20-2016, 12:10 AM
I was a charter member of CK5, but haven't been on the site in a while. Here's a link to mine with some specs: https://warrperformance.com/?page_id=189

2Dogs
08-20-2016, 07:39 PM
All,
I organized my thoughts and will be posting this in the GM EFI section -

I am in the research phase of an engine rebuild/replace for the tired 350 in My K5 - I think it is the L05 - I have ~250,000 miles on the original engine and it is sooooo tired, I just re-gear every other year or so.

My goal - get usable power down low with high(er) torque than the stock 350. This is for a 4x4 that will see dirt, rock crawling, and a bit of street miles with the occasional overland/expedition trips. On the expedition trips it will be towing a small utility trailer (1/4T Military). It will not see the following: high RPM for long periods of time, the dragstrip, or smokey burnouts :)

TBI how/where to start - programs, tuning, etc....

Can I tune the new (383/item 2) adequately and still pass smog?
I have another complete TBI setup - build that to better serve the 383 requirements?
Please point me to the 'how to tune your TBI' tutorials (software, datalogging). I am PC literate and I have done tunes with systems for Motorcycles, LS's etc… While I understand the components, variables to tune, and data in general I am a NEWB to any TBI technology. (I have had the K5 since 93 and the TBI is like Gump - it just keeps running….)

Confirm long-block build as likely to pass with good TBI tune (hoping to start with the HT383e)

Will this be a good starting point or will that cam destroy my catalytic converter
My requirements for the new engine - more usable power down low. This will rarely see high RPM.

What exhaust manifolds should I plan on using?

Is there an OEM set I should search for?
Is there a CARB set available or will that draw too much attention, legal or not? Something like the Tri-Y for torque - I am not crazy about headers but I hear the stock manifolds on this 350 are very restrictive.

Anything else I should look at?

Vehicle:
1991 K5 - originally sold in Texas (minimal smog equipment: no air pump, plumbing, etc…)

It has 2 into 1 exhaust before the single cat
Engine - stock everything
4L60 transmission (not 4L60E)
Gear ratio will be based on 5.13s with 37" tires
Weight ~7200lb - includes fuel, recovery gear, etc….

Thanks,
Dave