PDA

View Full Version : $0D 4L60E shift adjustment

Kitch
06-23-2016, 11:25 AM
I've recently bought a 95 GMC Yukon with a BJYL PCM $0D bin and I've been doing a bit of driving and data logging.
One of the annoying charaterristics the truck has is to hold onto 4th gear as I moderatly accelerate from 40 MPH to 60 MPH up an onramp. The engine is lugging and goes better if I manually change from "D" to "3" as it goes up the onramp, is there something I can change in TunerPro that will make the trans downshift from 4th to 3rd sooner as the MAP and throttle position go up?

96lt4c4
06-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Change TPS to enable kickdown mode to about 80% and Change TPS to disable kickdown mode to 70-75%. Moving them down more will cause it to downshift even earlier.

lionelhutz
06-23-2016, 05:17 PM
There should be a shift table using speed vs %TPS. Modify it to change the shifting.

What I have done before. Manually select each gear and then use 5% to 10% TPS increments and determine the steady speed the truck drives for each throttle position. Take that data and add about 5% to the TPS values and use it to create the upshift curve. Add about 10% to the %TPS values and use it to create the downshift curve.

Example
30% TPS in 2nd gear = 40mph.
Enter 40mph @ 35% TPS for the 2-3 up shift.
Enter 40mph @ 40% TPS for the 3-2 down shift.

If you are driving 40mph in 2nd and over 35% TPS you are accelerating so stay in 2nd. If you are driving 40mph in 3rd and press the throttle over 40% then downshift to 2nd and accelerate. If you are driving 40mph in 2nd and let off under 35% TPS then you're going a steady speed so shift to 3rd.

Once you start the above, you might find you "pull back" the curves to be less than the 5% spreads to get even more response or "push out" to get less response.

96lt4c4
06-23-2016, 07:39 PM
You could also download some stock LT1 Corvette and Camaro bins. Compare the transmission shift points to yours. The old LT1 Corvettes had some pretty aggressive transmission shift points. Even more aggressive than the LS1 Vettes did.

Kitch
06-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reply's, you've given me some things to have a look and hopefully try out over the weekend. Any idea what the shift table might be called in TunerPro, I had a quick look but couldn't find anything that looked quite right?
I also had a look at Bluecat transmission software but I couldn't find a tutorial that showed me how to use it, I'm guessing it's a quicker way to modify the shift table.

Fast355
06-24-2016, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the reply's, you've given me some things to have a look and hopefully try out over the weekend. Any idea what the shift table might be called in TunerPro, I had a quick look but couldn't find anything that looked quite right?
I also had a look at Bluecat transmission software but I couldn't find a tutorial that showed me how to use it, I'm guessing it's a quicker way to modify the shift table.

Bluecat is very straight forward. Hover over the parameters and it has an explination of what it does. Been using it for a few years here.

Kitch
06-24-2016, 05:34 AM
Hi Fast, is there somewhere I can find some good starting values to input into Torque converter table for my 1995 Yukon and can you recommend a good tutorial on how to best use the Bluecat trans table generator?
Are the tables that I've shown the best ones to adjust in TunerPro?

Kitch
06-24-2016, 05:51 AM
96lt4c4, are these the kickdown scalars you were referring to?

Kitch
06-24-2016, 06:03 AM
I had a feeling I'd previously adjusted the kickdown TPS% on my 1994 G20 van's modified BDTZ.bin and the "TPS to Enable Kickdown Mode" was set to 64.8% and the "TPS to Disable Kickdown Mode" was set to 60.2%.

lionelhutz
06-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi Fast, is there somewhere I can find some good starting values to input into Torque converter table for my 1995 Yukon and can you recommend a good tutorial on how to best use the Bluecat trans table generator?
Are the tables that I've shown the best ones to adjust in TunerPro?

The big table on the left is the one I'm referring to. Plot that table in another program that displays each column as a line because the way Tunerpro displays it will likely be useless.

Here is the table I started with and what I ended with. See how I made the new curves roll up quickly and kept the up and down shift curves fairly close to each other.

The big stupid jumps at the ends of the stock curves cause the transmission to "stick" in the same gear until you go wide open and then it will downshift but if you lift at all it up shifts again. My curves will start downshift as the throttle opens more and more.

As for the TCC, you do a similar thing. Figure out what %TPS at each speed in the range you want it locked and then set values a little higher in the lock and unlock tables.

Kitch
06-24-2016, 02:55 PM
The pictures really helped show how it works, I can see how the modified curve @ 60MPH would downshift from 4-3 at about 57% TPS. I manually plotted my stock curve and it looks like it would need 73% TPS for the 4-3 downshift.

96lt4c4
06-24-2016, 09:20 PM
96lt4c4, are these the kickdown scalars you were referring to?

Yes Sir!

lionelhutz
06-24-2016, 11:57 PM
And I didn't get too aggressive with that 4-3 curve compared to the lower gears. I mostly left it like it was.

One thing you do have to watch with a truck is getting too aggressive because if you load it then it either won't want to upshift or keep dropping back a gear any time you touch the throttle.

I would also recommend to make the kickdown table speeds the same as the main shift table. So, if you set the kickdown to 80% TPS make the speeds the same as the main table at 80% TPS.

Kitch
06-25-2016, 12:42 PM
I've been manually plotting some new shift tables to try out but I don't want to change anything until I find the TCC lock and unlock tables, there seem to be a lot of parameters with TCC in them which ones need adjusting after the "upshift/Downshift MPH vs TPS " table has been changed?

If I raise the upshift RPM table values from 4000RPM to 4400RPM do I need to manually recalculate and raise the MPH values in the upshift MPH and downshift MPH tables, as the MPH values appear to have stayed the same?

lionelhutz
06-25-2016, 03:24 PM
The PCM should wait until both the rpm and mph tables are satisfied before it will up shift. So, no you don't have to change the upshift mph to match the shift speed due to the higher rpm.

I try to make it a lower than the shift speed due to rpm as well as the same as the main table. Make life easy by making the main table flat from your kickdown up to 100 %TPS.

The TCC doesn't have to be adjusted at the same time, but you'll likely want to adjust it. There should be some %TPS vs speed tables with values for 2-4 gear that you adjust.

Kitch
06-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Well after a bit of stuffing around (for some reason my APU1 refused to work with my PCM) I ended up burning a chip to apply the changes.
I only changed the 3-4 and 4-3 tables and the Yukon accelerates much better up the on ramp with the delayed 3-4 shift.
The only thing is the gear change and TCC look to be at the same time, where as before there was quite a delay before the TCC would lock. I'm wondering how hard that will be on the TCC clutch?
I can't find any tables to create a TCC delay after upshift and delay before downshift after TCC unlock, any help would be appreciated.
I have a 95 trans with a PWM TCC if that makes any difference?

Kitch
06-27-2016, 10:37 AM
I've been searching through $0D under the heading "TCC" to see what I can adjust, are the Parameters and tables with "700R4 TCC" heading relevant to what I'm trying to do? Should I just ignore them and only focus on the "4L60E TCC" parameters and tables?

Kitch
06-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Are any of the tables below what I need to delay the TCC locking after I upshift in 4th, downshift into 3rd?

lionelhutz
06-27-2016, 05:03 PM
I'd think you need to use those 4 tables under the 4L60e section. What do they look like?

Typically, there are 2 tables or 2 columns to control the TCC. They work like the gear shift table. If the %TPS goes below the lower table it locks and if the %TPS goes above the upper table it unlocks. In between it remains in whatever state it's in.

I doubt you can delay it, but you set the %TPS for TCC unlock under the %TPS downshifting so the TCC unlocks before the downshift happens.

The PWM tables control how hard the TCC clutch engages. You should be able to leave them alone.

Kitch
06-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, there's not much to look at in the two of the four 4L60E tables.
I know what I want to try and change but I just can't find anywhere to change it!
It would be nice if there was a table like the "Upshift/downshift MPH vs TPS" just for the TCC.

lionelhutz
06-28-2016, 03:03 AM
What does the 4th one look like?

The 700R4 tables might be mislabeled. They appear to be what you want to adjust. I just don't know why there are 2 unlock tables.

Kitch
06-28-2016, 03:46 AM
These are the only tables left under TCC.
I'm not sure what all those 125.0 values are meant to represent?
Maybe you're right about the 700R4 TCC parameters being incorrectly labled.

lionelhutz
06-28-2016, 08:16 AM
PWM is just how hard it locks up. You'll have to experiment with the 700R4 tables.

Kitch
06-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Okay so I've had good success with the 4th gear shift tables and the changes I've made to my 3->4 and 4->3 shifts have worked but I've had no luck with TCC control.
I made a line graph of my settings and then manually plotted the results of a logged test drive shift points onto the graph and as it felt in the truck the graph showed TCC lockup and unlock was pretty much on 4th gear upshift and downshift, not the TCC lock and unlock points shown on the graph.
Any ideas how I could make TCC work as per the graph, am I using the wrong table?

lionelhutz
06-30-2016, 04:54 PM
What's in the TCC Engage/Release Threshold table?

Kitch
06-30-2016, 10:43 PM
Nothing?

Kitch
07-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Okay, so instead of using the TP search function I manually looked through the Parameter tree and under the heading "TCC engage/release thresholds" I found the two attached tables. I've now altered those two tables because they look like the best candidates to change the TCC lock/unlock and I'll try them out tomorrow, here's hoping they work.

lionelhutz
07-02-2016, 09:14 AM
:thumbsup: Those look like the right tables. I hope they work for you.