PDA

View Full Version : Dipping my toes in the lava

TacticalBacon
05-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Nice to meet y'all. This is definitely not a field where I want to learn by doing. I already tried that and I am now the poorer for having to buy a new PCM. But, lesson learned and with a XP VM and a speartech harness, I have had 2 successes so far. How y'all doin?

Terminal_Crazy
05-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Nice to meet y'all. This is definitely not a field where I want to learn by doing. I already tried that and I am now the poorer for having to buy a new PCM. But, lesson learned and with a XP VM and a speartech harness, I have had 2 successes so far. How y'all doin?

Hello. Welcome to the club.

I bet you weren't sat in the passenger seat at 2.00 a.m. with a laptop on your knee thinking that this "Bas7@2d Laptop has frozen" but i'll not move and give it another 5 minutes just to make sure.
And another 10 minutes later thinking "Oh crap that's going to cost me".

Mitch

TacticalBacon
05-12-2016, 11:24 PM
It was a lovely, sunny day in the driver seat in my driveway and it read fine, I tuned the file fine, and then when it came time to program, Windows 10 on a laptop said, "Winflash has stopped responding." And that's when folks in the next county heard me cussin'. And it gets better. Hard drive in the laptop got a dead spot so I lost my stock tune file off my car so I found the 96 formula and firehawk tunes on here, compared them, and then proceeded to change every cell that was different in the tune I pulled off the reman Cardone unit by hand. Took me 4 hours.

Then I tweaked timing a little courtesy of some online tips I found, flashed it, realized I forgot fix the speedo adjustment, flashed it again, then went to bed. I need a bottle of Jack.

Gotten even further in today with some tweaks to the fuel tables for open loop and % change to afr at WOT. Scared to flash it to the PCM even though the leanest it's supposed to get at WOT now is only 13.4. Also don't feel like unhooking the battery and yanking the PCM back out again.