PDA

View Full Version : BCCFInd Mistakes, Wants, ETC

1project2many
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Corrected 3/10/12
I figured I should keep a running list of issues that need attention.

BCC used in 1994. (Scroll down for more info)
BCC= BDKR6887 Scan id= 6855 Part number= 16186703
Release date= 09/04/92 Engine size= 5.7 Trans Type= Auto trans
ECM/PCM: PCM #16168625
Used in trucks:GMC

Possibly used in:S10,2WD,1/2 TON S15,2WD,1/2 TON T10,4WD,1/2 TON
T15,4WD,1/2 TON

Options:
With L05 5.7L GAS 8 CYL (5.7K) V8 TBI
With MY2 MAN 5 SPD
With NA5 FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS
Without NM8 EMISSION SYSTEM, LEADED FUEL
Without NN5 EMISSION CALIFORNIA OVERRIDE SYSTEM

So if GM certified an S10 with 5.7 TBI and manual trans in 94, why are so many of us bothering with conversions??? :)

EagleMark
02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
We also found an Astro Van with 5.7L and 4L60E! I want one!

ADSU says came in GMC and possibly Chevy blah blah like your example. But it was not a possibility, it was. Not sure if stuff as little as that is worth effort. Your just looking for mistakes and updates right?

Added features:
Now spitting out mask id would be cool. Spitting out ALDL file number would be cool. Spitting out xdf and adx would be cool. Spitting out the info, with all files would be cool but a lot of work when spitting out link to all would be just as cool and links with that info are already started. ECM Information forum.

Can you add an AutoTune feature? :laugh:

1project2many
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
The "possibly used in" was because of the coding in the database. It makes more sense when it comes to the cars since a cal might be used in a Buick W body but not an Olds or Chevy. I may have found a way to make it more specific. Mask ID and ALDL data number can be done. Best to include link to ecm info page. Keeping up to date files in the database might become a nightmare.

I can add autotune but I'm not sure you'd like my taste in music!

1project2many
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM
How about reverse searches? Anybody interested? And I should probably try to include later GM part nos for the ecm / pcm so it matches GM data. After using the TIS VIN based lookup I wonder if I can write in a VIN decoder that works off engine size, year, make, model.

Feature creep... another invasive species.

EagleMark
02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Mask ID and ALDL data number can be done. Best to include link to ecm info page. Keeping up to date files in the database might become a nightmare.
Link to ECM information page would be one more simple piecs of information. Since we update ECM information pages the info and files are there and only mods can update those pages.

How about reverse searches? Anybody interested? And I should probably try to include later GM part nos for the ecm / pcm so it matches GM data. After using the TIS VIN based lookup I wonder if I can write in a VIN decoder that works off engine size, year, make, model.

Feature creep... another invasive species.to include later GM part nos for the ecm / pcm so it matches GM data. would be good. Reverse search what?

1project2many
02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Reverse search...

"Search for +L19" (454 TBI truck)
"Search for +MG5" 5 speed truck transmission
"Search for 7427" last four of PCM part number

"Search results: .... BMHJ, BMHK, BMHL"

EagleMark
02-09-2012, 10:35 PM
That would be cool! ECM reverse search too? How hard to do?

CalData does that...

1project2many
02-09-2012, 11:56 PM
the standalone version already does that. That's how I can do so many cool searches. 8)

EagleMark
02-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Corrected 3/10/12

oops!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/result.shtml?BCC=cpk

1project2many
02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
???
I thought everyone got in on the 7.8 powered Camaros?

EagleMark
02-14-2012, 11:29 PM
It's on my list of must have vehicles along with an S10 and Astrovan with 5.7L 4L60e vehicles! :innocent2:

1project2many
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Getting closer to implementing reverse searches. Current program prints out everything returned one screen at a time, same output as on BCCFind results page. With potential for lots and lots of output for a search (ex: search for all L98 calibrations) that's a very large page and it can get a little clumsy when looking for specific data within the cals. So I'm thinking of a short list of cals returned from a reverse search with clickable links for more detailed info for each cal. The short list might simply include the GM RPOs without any decoding. Any thoughts?

Also, current standalone version of program has option to get RPO data for every year cal in the database to aid in searching. Searches look like "L05 MT1 7427" which would search for everything with a 350, 4L80E, and 7427 pcm. Can add this functionality to webpage for reference. Because the database is set up to use RPO codes it's more work to change the search strings to plain English such as "5.7 manual transmission." I'd love to do that but I'm going to get the current form of the program online first. Would having the RPO codes a click away be useful?

EagleMark
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
If it can do reverse search by RPO code would a page of RPO codes help? Give the user acceptable search terms?

I may be able to build a form with say three boxs, one for engine, one for trans and one for ECM number to spit out acceptable search term?

What would be useful is if a search result came up, a link from the ECM number to our ECM information thread where bin could be found? This could get complicated when same number ECM used different mask ID...

1project2many
03-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm asking if the RPO page would be helpful. All search terms are acceptable but some are guaranteed not to be successful.

I can build the query page ok. Not all searches are for engine/trans/ecm. You can search for GVW, or open loop cals, or Cali emissions. Anything you might want to know is open if GM included the info with the BCC.

Including the links and external data requires changing the database. I want to build a tool so it's much easier to add/edit data. And I need to look at the database format to see if it should be changed or modified now that I'm thinking about expanding it's purpose.

PJG1173
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
What would be useful is if a search result came up, a link from the ECM number to our ECM information thread where bin could be found? This could get complicated when same number ECM used different mask ID...

this could be accomplished if the bin files and wire diagrams were stored in the database and not a thread. you could then make a relation between the bin and the different ecm's that support them. this could also make searching for bin's faster and easier.

EagleMark
03-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I really think it's fine as is. Yes we could add a ton of work to make it cooler, but it's a free service and when they get the info a few more clicks and they can get a bin file.

Now if you could use one of these to pull up the bin, install it in the car and autotune it now that would be cool! :thumbsup:

PJG1173
03-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I really think it's fine as is. Yes we could add a ton of work to make it cooler, but it's a free service and when they get the info a few more clicks and they can get a bin file.

Now if you could use one of these to pull up the bin, install it in the car and autotune it now that would be cool! :thumbsup:

are you volunteering to make one? if so I'll test it for you. :innocent:

EagleMark
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Wish I had the ability!

Dynamic EFI EBL Take a look at the WUD VE Learn display!
http://www.dynamicefi.com/

1project2many
03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Corrected a few issues and checked that corrections were in place today. Holy unidentified calibrations, Batman! 50-60 BCC searches overnight? Someone sucking the data out one BCC at a time???

EagleMark
03-11-2012, 06:53 PM
No that was probably me introducing BCC Find to a couple forums yesterday that used to use it years ago.

Yesterday I finished uploading bins to the library and we have over 2000, 50mb of bins, more than anywhere else on internet and I'm sure not complete! So doing a manual search of all would be a stupid experiment...

1project2many
03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
search results data keeps track of searches, but how's that compare to hits without searches?

EagleMark
03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Is there a hit counter also? It could be someone just went to page and bookmarked. But more likely search engine robots finding the page with recent submissions.

1project2many
03-12-2012, 01:03 AM
No hit counter, but the successful and unsuccessful searches can be added up for a total number of searches. If a search engine links to a results page that will generate another count for a search when the page is loaded.

1project2many
03-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Ok, the beginnings of the reverse search are online.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/resultT.shtml?BCC=ZZZZ

Type in a search string and see how it goes. Use spaces to separate the different searches. This is a very simple search that just matches what you type to what's in the database. A search for 2.0 turbo sunbird manual transmission cars would look like this:
lt3 mg1
The engine RPO is LT3 and the trans option code is MT1.

You could also search for something like the Cadillac 4.1 90 degree V6.

Or all calibrations using the front wheel drive V6 Getrag transaxle and California emissions:
mg2 nb2

Or all calibrations for the very uncommon ultra low 1st gear V6 5 speed Muncie:
mg3

Or all calibrations used with the 7730 ecm

I don't have the RPO codes online yet so you'll have use another reference for those. This page looks good for now: http://cs.pontiac-club.com/graphics/manuals/46/gm-firebird-camaro-GM-RPO-car-codes.pdf

Notes and warnings: The search accepts 3 strings of up to four characters. It will truncate longer strings. You can still search by BCC or also scan id. If you search for something common like "2.8" or "l98" or "l05" you'll get a lot of hits. I mean a lot. If you search for "7730" or some other three or four digit number you'll get some unexpected results because the search will "hit" if it finds that string anywhere in the database, not just ecm number. This search will "AND" what you enter. There is no other option at this time. So to remove some unwanted results for the 7730 you could try typing 0122 7730 which is the full ecm number. Please feel free to post feedback, both pros and cons. I am working on adding mask id and links to the ecm pages where that info is available. You cannot currently search by body style, make, or model but if it's really wanted I might be able to work that in. Have at it!

EagleMark
03-12-2012, 01:55 AM
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?53-Ultimate-RPO-Codes-Complete-GM-PDF-Database

Would you like a webpage built with tables for this? Two columns of RPO codes, one for engine one for trans. Or more?

EagleMark
03-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Cool! :rockon:

Better instructions are needed but works sweet! :thumbsup:

1project2many
03-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Anyone else try this? Is it useful or is it just a novelty?

EagleMark
03-14-2012, 01:30 AM
I hope other people jump in with opinion and don't stop because I said something!

But I think it will be very useful. Say you have a 5.7L manual and want to do a conversion, well it will tell you what is available for what ECM/PCM.

I've made a new Memcal picture for you, working on a chip graphic. When your done I can install them? Or if you want make a RPO list or? You've done the hard work and HTML is easy for me. Just let me know, don't want to interfere.

JeepsAndGuns
03-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I tried it the day you posted it, and again today, both time the same results.
Either my computer, web browser, or internet connection does not like it. I type something in and click search, and my computer freezes. Stays locked for about 30-60 seconds untill the web brower resets itself, then everything runs slow for another 30-60 seconds.

However the regular bcc find works flawlessly.

1project2many
03-14-2012, 04:02 AM
I've made a new Memcal picture for you, working on a chip graphic. When your done I can install them? Or if you want make a RPO list or? You've done the hard work and HTML is easy for me. Just let me know, don't want to interfere.
Right now I'm just trying to get some feedback about the search itself. I want it to work in a way that's helpful and makes sense before working on the page around it.

I tried it the day you posted it, and again today, both time the same results.
Either my computer, web browser, or internet connection does not like it. I type something in and click search, and my computer freezes. Stays locked for about 30-60 seconds untill the web brower resets itself, then everything runs slow for another 30-60 seconds.

Ok, thanks. I've got a hunch about what happened but I don't know for sure. What did you type in? How about trying a BCC such as ASDF or this search: lg0 my5 w41

EagleMark
03-14-2012, 04:57 AM
this search: lg0 my5 w41Worked fine for me.

JeepsAndGuns
03-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Seems to be working this moring. :happy:

PJG1173
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Better instructions are needed but works sweet! :thumbsup:

agreed or a form with drop downs.

1project2many
03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Seems to be working this moring.
If the search returns a huge number of hits it can take a long time for the page to display. Something like L98 can seem to lock the browser for a while until the data loads up. That's why I asked what you were searching for that locked up the browser.

EagleMark
03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I just did l98 and nothing else. Long list took one second?

1project2many
03-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I said can take a long time. ;) Good connection, fast machine, right browser doesn't take much time at all. Machine at work loaded l98 results page like nothing. Home desktop takes about 15 seconds. Old, slow laptop is a walk away and come back later thing.

EagleMark
03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
I tried to blow it up and it won't! :thumbsup:

1project2many
03-15-2012, 01:47 AM
That's a good thing. I'm going to keep thinking about how to set up the searches so they're better at returning correct / desired results. Love to hear more feedback. Instructions are fairly simple at this point. Type in combinations of 1, 2, 3, or 4 letters, in up to three groups, separated by spaces.

Would it be any better if the search was able to work by make/model? Or is ecm/pcm number enough? Mask ID will be included eventually so that will also be a search term.

EagleMark
03-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Is there a hit counter also? It could be someone just went to page and bookmarked. But more likely search engine robots finding the page with recent submissions.Just googled BCC Find and guess who's number 1?

Now that I have it right don't change any text on page without asking me, we can change some stuff and lay out but have to be careful as I got it right.

EagleMark
03-18-2012, 07:37 AM
That's a good thing. I'm going to keep thinking about how to set up the searches so they're better at returning correct / desired results. Love to hear more feedback. Instructions are fairly simple at this point. Type in combinations of 1, 2, 3, or 4 letters, in up to three groups, separated by spaces.

Would it be any better if the search was able to work by make/model? Or is ecm/pcm number enough? Mask ID will be included eventually so that will also be a search term.In the scope of this forum I think ECM number would be good!

1project2many
03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Now that I have it right don't change any text on page without asking me, we can change some stuff and lay out but have to be careful as I got it right.

Ha! Oh, sure. Just as I'm thinking about major changes to the search portion. Well, like before everything is going to fit in the template. Everything around it isn't my deal. :) It's going to be a bit. I'll keep using that other page (link above) for development work. What I'm working on now is all to do with the database.
1) Resolve all superceded calibrations. I need to work out how this was done in the original data.
2) Resolve superceded ecm/pcm numbers. This info will probably need to come from a parts database.
3) Associate mask ID with calibrations. This is only possible for masks which have already been ID'd.
4) Associate links to ecm/pcm info page with calibrations.
5) Better resolution of model with calibration. I'd love to be able to narrow down a cal to specific models.
6) Reformat database. The original data was spread across 5-6 files per year. I used three files per year but I'm going to revisit this.
7) Build a graphical editor to make adding and changing the database records easier.

This is a lot so there won't be any changes to the BCCFind page for a while. And with nice weather approaching I may not be sitting at the computer as much.

EagleMark
03-18-2012, 08:22 PM
That seems like a lot of work!

Yeah I'm thinking of nice weather and some other work myself. I have way to many hours of website work in this winter here but it's worth it. My ass hurts... Ha! Also did one for a freinds photgraphy and putting together my auction site again.

We can make changes, just need to do them right, I'm pretty good with search engine placement 6 or 8 years ago and had to go through all my work to relearn and I did it on BCC Find page. When your ready we will do it. I'll show you what needs to stay the same...

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Wow! Over 900 successful searches! Guess word is getting out...

104 fails of which I probably did at least 25% trying to blow it up... :laugh:

1project2many
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I did a lot of testing at home before uploading it. The next version will be a bit tricky but I think I've got a good idea how to implement it. The way you know it's successful is you'll see someone copy the results into an Ebay auction. :) Is there a way we can put gearhead-efi.com into a watermark in the background?

JeepsAndGuns
03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
The way you know it's successful is you'll see someone copy the results into an Ebay auction. :) Is there a way we can put gearhead-efi.com into a watermark in the background?

Wow, really? lol Yea I think a watermark would be a good idea. Got to give credit where credit is due!

PJG1173
03-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Wow, really? lol Yea I think a watermark would be a good idea. Got to give credit where credit is due!

sure do!
I've been directing some people to it from the s10forum seems like a few weeks ago a few people all bought ecu's from the JY for thier trucks but couldn't figure out why they ran like doo doo. who would have thought a 4.3 s10 wouldn't run with a chip with a 2.8 cal on it :yikes:.

a more mobile friendly version would be nice also so when I am junk yarding and come across a pcm just hanging out I can look it up on my phone.

1project2many
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
a more mobile friendly version would be nice also so when I am junk yarding and come across a pcm just hanging out I can look it up on my phone.
Hah! Now my age is showing. I learned programming when a "big" computer had less power than a kitchen appliance. I wouldn't know where to start for a phone app.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
I did a lot of testing at home before uploading it. The next version will be a bit tricky but I think I've got a good idea how to implement it. The way you know it's successful is you'll see someone copy the results into an Ebay auction. :) Is there a way we can put gearhead-efi.com into a watermark in the background?Yup! I can also help with and would rather do the HTML (do to search engine knowledge I have) end when your done but waiting for your OK. Or if you need RPO template tables built etc...

I think the eBay auction thing is what pissed you off last time... it is a free service so anyone can use, but using it for commercial gain is a bit unethical and a disclaimer etc.. should be in order. If it had a disclaimer/copyright message about use for commercail business then a simple email to eBay would shut that down immediately! We could also require use to be of registered members, but it would be hard to track back anyone using it for commercial purposes... In the end it is a great tool for people like us. But if people are using it to make money then they should contribute some of the profit!

I have copy and pasted results information to help people on other forums but also left a link where it can be found and used. It has been very well excepted all over the EFI tuning community.

Our purpose was to document and store information and files, the forum was somewhere for the few of us to have each others help, it went public and has grown. I like what we did and want to keep it that way. But then again if someone is using it for commercial gain we should be reimbursed! I know I have $1000 and at least 1000 hours into it with no return (a few people have donated through their UserCP for membership). You have an incredible amount of time into this BCC end of project! Lots of people have contributed time and documents and files. It's just a great community. I'm very proud to be part of it!

1project2many
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I think the eBay (http://www.ebay.com/) auction thing is what pissed you off last time... it is a free service so anyone can use, but using it for commercial gain is a bit unethical and a disclaimer etc..
Sort of. Initially it was for the DIY_EFI and GMECM list members. I was in school at the time and the computer science department had "loaned" me a server to run the program, complete with web access. Full administrator privilges, unlimited bandwidth, just like it was my own. What a deal!! But the warning was, the server's old and it will crash. We don't know when, but when it does you won't get another. So I made sure everyone at DIY knew this, and I made sure it was on the BCCFind page. I knew other people would use it and I understood that people who weren't a part of the lists would use it. I got mad when another list member sent me a link to an auction with a complete copy and paste of the BCCFind results page. The seller was someone who had been working at establishing themselves as a chip tuner, was making money using information from the two lists, and who hadn't returned any experience or info to the list. Again, that only got me mad at one person. The reason I pulled the program is because I expected people on the list who used BCCFind to sort of self police, to guard the resource so to speak. "If BCCFind is that good, why would you let anyone and their brother use it up and leave you with nothing?"

I'm older now and I realize that people tend to let a problem be someone else's problem as long as there's someone else to give it to. I could have done it differently but I tended to see the world as black or white back then. Age has a way of shifting priorities. You've said you've got plenty of data access, there's a potential for revenue for the site from the current page, and you've owned enough sites that you know what's involved in having this here. So if you're happy, I'm happy. :)

What do you want to do with the HTML from the new program? Maybe I don't understand what you're thinking? It was a bit tricky getting it set up to work the way it does now without breaking the template but you should be able to make any changes you want to the template. Or is there more?

I just realized today I can insert a background into the output file to create a watermark inside the template.

PJG1173
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Hah! Now my age is showing. I learned programming when a "big" computer had less power than a kitchen appliance. I wouldn't know where to start for a phone app.

I didn't mean a phone app, but now that you mention it that would be cool too :thumbsup:. what I ment was the server should be able to detect whether you are using a mobile browser or not and display accourdingly. Of course i don't know how to set it up I just know it can be done.

EagleMark
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Sort of. Initially it was for the DIY_EFI and GMECM list members. I was in school at the time and the computer science department had "loaned" me a server to run the program, complete with web access. Full administrator privilges, unlimited bandwidth, just like it was my own. What a deal!! But the warning was, the server's old and it will crash. We don't know when, but when it does you won't get another. So I made sure everyone at DIY knew this, and I made sure it was on the BCCFind page. I knew other people would use it and I understood that people who weren't a part of the lists would use it. I got mad when another list member sent me a link to an auction with a complete copy and paste of the BCCFind results page. The seller was someone who had been working at establishing themselves as a chip tuner, was making money using information from the two lists, and who hadn't returned any experience or info to the list. Again, that only got me mad at one person. The reason I pulled the program is because I expected people on the list who used BCCFind to sort of self police, to guard the resource so to speak. "If BCCFind is that good, why would you let anyone and their brother use it up and leave you with nothing?"

I'm older now and I realize that people tend to let a problem be someone else's problem as long as there's someone else to give it to. I could have done it differently but I tended to see the world as black or white back then. Age has a way of shifting priorities. You've said you've got plenty of data access, there's a potential for revenue for the site from the current page, and you've owned enough sites that you know what's involved in having this here. So if you're happy, I'm happy. :)

What do you want to do with the HTML from the new program? Maybe I don't understand what you're thinking? It was a bit tricky getting it set up to work the way it does now without breaking the template but you should be able to make any changes you want to the template. Or is there more?

I just realized today I can insert a background into the output file to create a watermark inside the template.Yes I'm happy with what you have done and your contributions to our community! I do want to make this something that does not ofend you and our work. Don't like people who take others work and make money on it without returning any effort and really don't like people who claim to be inventors of things when they stole them from projects like ours and DIY-EFI etc...

Yes the background template is one way. Server upload download is not an issue and I will be changing to a new 4G server soon because I have a few customers website on my server as well and going to be adding an Auction site soon that will take up even more bandwidth. Although there are no limits now preformance could decline. But with new server even if we had 1000 people uploading and downloading at same time there would be no performance slow down.

Whenever your ready we will talk about final changes to section of template used. I have looked at it and see no problems just making it look a little better and usable without hurting all the things built into that template so it works properly on all size monitors, screen resolutions and search engines.

JeepsAndGuns
03-22-2012, 02:13 AM
I actually have this place saved as a favorite on my 3G samsung fascinate. I have no problems pulling up the site, or BCC find. I actually used it this past weekend while at the junkyard to check some BCC's. Worked great!

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 03:22 AM

1project2many
03-22-2012, 04:16 AM
Whenever your ready we will talk about final changes to section of template used.
The template being HTML around the BCCFind results? Whatever changes you'd like to make to the template are ok. It shouldn't affect BCCFind as long as the results page stays at the same address. The template is your deal. The results take a little more effort because the program really has no idea about anything outside itself. Formatting &etc are blind since the programe just "prints" html to the screen.

I actually used it this past weekend while at the junkyard to check some BCC's. Worked great!
Nice! A friend of mine once got a few ecm's for free with BCCFind. He was about to pay and noticed a pile of ecm's on a shelf with no labels. Offered to ID them for the yard and when he was done they were so happy, said "no charge for your parts."

historystamp
03-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Perhaps a photo of BCCFind running on your phone would be helpful.

Post the photo & comment on the things you do not like. Is there too much white space? Smaller/larger lettering? Positioning? etc.

Robert

historystamp
03-22-2012, 06:34 AM
I do not know the format of the input data, but a more tabular output format might help. I'm thinking of more excel like.

Example:

Interesting, when I copied the data to a file, I got DRIVE, 3.18 Ratio on the first line. Why the line wrap?

Anyway, a tabular format might do better:

The early wrapping is something to do with the width of the window. There seems to be enough blank space to me.

notice how the word ratio got wrapped. It will not wrap if I make the window even wider. Odd, seems to be enough space to me.

Robert

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
We may be able to do this by referencing a CSS script for the output.

1project2many
03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
The program output is displayed one line at a time. Wrapping and spacing is at least partly due to the browser. When the program was running on the college server I had all the lines near the LH side of the page and kept them short enough that they didn't wrap. Changing display settings simply changed the amount of white space on the RH side of the screen. Now with the additional HTML to the left of the results the output is forced into a smaller area and it's up to the browser to decide how to display it. IOW the html around the results allows X number of characters per line, depending on the display settings. If the actual number of characters is greater the line is wrapped. I currently view the world in 1024 X 768 resolution and all looks well at those settings. I can certainly change the lines so they wrap at a specific place regardless of display settings and keep them near the LH side of the page. It would look nice on a narrow display but it would appear a bit silly viewed on a wide screen. I'm not proud though and if that's the solution then that's the solution. I do not currently know of a way to dynamically adjust the program output based on each user's display settings.

The tabular format suggested could end up the same way in this situation because it's not the data format which causes the wrap, it's the number of characters. "With" and sometimes "without" are included because there are calibrations which include or exclude specific RPOs. I used plain english rather than characters such as + and - to make this program more friendly to less experienced guys. Simply listing the options associated with a cal would not give an indication whether or not the option is included or excluded so at least one additional character would be needed. I can check the length of the character strings in the database and see if I can reduce the overall length, but this old data format is 100% dependent on every piece of data being the same length so I may not be able to do much there. Hmm... maybe the easiest answer is to disable wrapping completely. I should be able to implement that fairly quickly.

Let me ask this. Do you guys who use a phone to browse the net have the same problem with other pages? Are there any pages you know of that display correctly with the phone as well as a PC? The only time I tried using a phone I decided they've got a long way to go. Google search results looked horrible, pages didn't seem to display correctly, links were hard to see. It's been a couple of years so maybe things have progressed?

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Your not going to be able to make it come out perfect on every browser. It looks fine on my laptop, actually big gap on right side and everything lines up.

Now on my old desktop with smaller screen and resolution it fills screen and wraps. With that I will say it wraps on a phones small screen as well.

Now we could remove one or two of the two BlockQuote tags which would give it more room in the white area of the HTML! See the gap between results and link bar on left? Well because of the blockquote tags there is that much space on right as well. This would give more room in that area where results come out.

Just looked at the code you installed in the HTML template and all your code comes out with the paragraph <p> code.
So remove the <blockquote><blockquote> from above where you put everything and the </blockquote></blockquote> at the end of where you put everything. This will give it more space for smaller browsers. The <p> tage should give it a little space where it is not right up against the links bar on left. If not don't worry, when I work on the HTML I will add a <p> CSS to begining of HTML for a small space on left.

JeepsAndGuns
03-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I cannot speak for other brands and models of phones. But on mine I have no problems pulling up sites. I think its outdated now, but at the time it came out, I think mine was a top of the line smart phone. I have only had it about a year. But I have no problems pulling up sites, I have google saved as my home page, and I can start ypying in my search terms and it starts popping up what it thinks I am searching, just like it does on my PC. It displays all the search results just like it does on the PC. I can pull up youtube and watch videos, and pull up and browse forums. I can post replys and post new threads. I have no problems viewing anything as everything displays just as it does on the home PC. If its too small to read, I can zoom in and view it better.
I use my phone all the time. I can check this site while on my lunch break at work. I can be at the junkyard and google search stuff, etc... Cant take a picture or video of it in use, as it is also my camera. Kinda hard to record itself...lol.

PJG1173
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a HTV EVO. the issue I have is the font is small on my screen because the browser (dolphin HD) compresses it down to fit the links on the LH side of the page. If I zoom then I have to move the screen all over the place to read it. I have a decent size screen compared to most smartphones so I would imagine it would be worse for them. I tried from my blackberry and couldn't really see anything.

1project2many
03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
So remove the <blockquote><blockquote> from above where you put everything and the </blockquote></blockquote> at the end of where you put everything. This will give it more space for smaller browsers. The <p> tage should give it a little space where it is not right up against the links bar on left. If not don't worry, when I work on the HTML I will add a <p> CSS to begining of HTML for a small space on left.

Well, I did that and it might help some. I think it looks a little better with some whitespace on the left and this way everything's right against the gray box on the left. But I think it will be more consistent if I disable wrap.

I have a HTV EVO. the issue I have is the font is small on my screen because the browser (dolphin HD) compresses it down to fit the links on the LH side of the page. If I zoom then I have to move the screen all over the place to read it. I have a decent size screen compared to most smartphones so I would imagine it would be worse for them. I tried from my blackberry (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=blackberry) and couldn't really see anything.
Wow! There's no way I could read that. I guess that the smartphones will compress the fonts and it's a problem with other pages. What if you could download the results in a text file or have them emailed to you?

historystamp
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
It's seem like the wrapping with the options goes away when you eliminate:
width="55%"

There's some odd going on in this area. The text is wrapping when there is lots of blank space after the text.

I'll piddle with the HTML on the generated page & see if I can prevent the odd wrapping.

I think some border is needed to the left.

Robert

PJG1173
03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, I did that and it might help some. I think it looks a little better with some whitespace on the left and this way everything's right against the gray box on the left. But I think it will be more consistent if I disable wrap.

Wow! There's no way I could read that. I guess that the smartphones will compress the fonts and it's a problem with other pages. What if you could download the results in a text file or have them emailed to you?

I wonder if you could get it to SMS/TXT the info to your phone.

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
They look pretty good on a smart phone considering the pages were never built for them. When I took WebMaster classes there was no smart phones! I may look into what is needed to be done for them now that this has come up.

I saw it without the blockquotes and I think it would be better with 1 instead of 2. Or when your done and I do (have time) HTML can add a P to CSS that should give some space. Right now with no space it's kinda dorkey. I thought the P tag would give some space but it did not.

EagleMark
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Robert found it! it's in your HTML of the output page. Not the HTML template page. His is marked in red as is a missing ">" tag. Other Table value % that need changed are in bold. Then we can add one blockquote back.

Or if you send me the HTML used in output page I can do it. I know your busy at work. Are you still covering for your boss too?

<p>
<TITLE>Search Results</TITLE>
<table border=0 cellspacing=2 width=85% to 100%>
<CAPTION> <B>&nbsp &nbsp BCC used in 1988. </B>(Scroll down for more info)</CAPTION>
<BR>
<TR>
<TD>BCC= ADSU3330 </TD>
<TD>Scan id= 3181 </TD>
<TD>Part number= 16073329 </TD
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>Release date= 10/20/86 </TD>
<TD>Engine size= 5.0 </TD>
<TD>Trans Type= Auto trans </TD This is missing a > !!!
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>ECM/PCM: ECM #01227747 </TD
</TR>
</TABLE>
<BR>
<B><FONT COLOR=BROWN>Used in trucks:</B></FONT><table border=0 cellspacing=0 width=85% to 100%>
<TD>GMC </TD>
</TR>
</table>
<B>Possibly used in:</B>
<table border=0 cellspacing=0 width=85% to 100%>
<TD>C1500,2WD,1/2 TON </TD>
<TD>C1500,2WD,1/2 TON </TD>
<TD>C2500,2WD,3/4 TON </TD>
<TR>
<BR>
</TR>
<TD>C2500,2WD,3/4 TON </TD>
<TD>K1500,4WD,1/2 TON </TD>
<TD>K1500,4WD,1/2 TON </TD>
<TR>
<BR>
</TR>
<TD>K2500,4WD,3/4 TON </TD>
<TD>K2500,4WD,3/4 TON </TD>
</table><BR><table border=0 cellspacing=5 width=55% to 100%>
<TR>
<TD><B>Options:</B></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>With &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp L03 5.0L GAS 8 CYL TBI V8 </TD>
<TR/>
<TR>
<TD>With &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp MD8 AUTO 4 SPD THM 700 R4 </TD>
<TR/>
<TR>
<TD>With &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp NA5 FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS </TD>
<TR/>
<TR>
<TD>With &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp NA6 ALTITUDE REQUIREMENTS </TD>
<TR/>
</table>
<BR><BR>
<a href="../BCCFind/index.shtml"> <HALIGN="CENTER" ><B>Search again</B></a>
<form action="./result.shtml" method="get">Type in bcc (letters only) <input name="BCC" size="8" maxlength="4"><input value="Search Again" type="submit">
</form>

PJG1173
03-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Taking some of the space out helped make the text bigger.

1project2many
03-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Yes, I think the space is needed on the LH side as well.

Hmm... I actually left the closing > out of several lines. Wonder how that happened?? Good find, anyway. I should probably revisit all the output code and see what else is amiss.

Mark, the HTML is buried in the program. In order to change it I have to change the source code and recompile the program. The only way I know to do that now is to fire up the linux pc at home and recompile the code. I'll see about doing that tonight when I get home. For the curious, here's how a few lines of the print section of the program look:

printf("<table border=0 cellspacing=2 width=85%%>");
printf("<CAPTION> <B>&nbsp &nbsp BCC used in ");
printf("%d. </B>(Scroll down for more info)</CAPTION><BR>",year);
printf("<TR><TD>BCC= %s </TD>",list->bcc);
printf("<TD>Scan id= %s </TD>",list->scanid);
printf("<TD>Part number= %s </TD</TR>",list->partno);
printf("<TR><TD>Release date= %s </TD>", list->releasedate);
printf("<TD>Engine size= %s </TD>",list->engine0);
if(list->transtype=='A') printf("<TD>Trans Type= Auto trans </TD</TR>");
if(list->transtype=='M') printf("<TD>Trans Type= Manual trans </TD</TR>");
if(list->transtype=='*') printf("<TD>Trans Type= all/no listing </TD</TR>");
printf("<TR><TD>ECM/PCM: %s ",list->ecm);
printf("#%s </TD</TR>",list->ecmnum);
printf("</TABLE>");
printf("<BR>");

if (list->cartruck=='C') {
printf("<B><FONT COLOR=BLUE>Used in cars:</FONT></B>");
printf("<table border=0 cellspacing=0 width=85%%>");
if(strchr(list->usage,49)) printf("<TD>Chevy </TD>");
if(strchr(list->usage,50)) printf("<TD>Pontiac </TD>");
if(strchr(list->usage,51)) printf("<TD>Oldsmobile </TD>");
if(strchr(list->usage,52)) printf("<TD>Buick </TD>");
if(strchr(list->usage,53)) printf("<TD>email gmecm </TD>");
if(strchr(list->usage,54)) printf("<TD>Cadillac </TD>");
printf("</TR>");
printf("</table>");

Or if you send me the HTML used in output page I can do it. I know your busy at work. Are you still covering for your boss too?

Boss ran into complications. There are questions about whether or not he'll even return. Senior tech went out for shoulder surgery two weeks ago and will likely be out for two to three more weeks. 72 hrs at work, 80 away from house each week is bare minimum. Top it off with the worst sinus/lung cold I can remember and "busy" is an understatement. If you think you're comfortable making changes to lines above I'll send the file. But I'm so upset at myself for making such beginner mistakes that I'll probably be up at 2 am fixing it anyway. :) I can see there's a lot that should be updated.

Edit: Nevermind. I just fixed those mistakes in the source. Now I'm just wondering if I needed the double percent signs on the table width definition.

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 01:33 AM
I don't understand why you would have double % signs?

JeepsAndGuns
03-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Had to go pee in a cup for work this morning, so while I was waiting in the waiting room, I pulled up google, found out I could take a screen shot with my phone and it save it as a picture. I then pulled up this site and then bcc find and pulled up the first bin I could think of and took a screen shot. It only shows the top half, as its showing only what was displayed on the screen, but all I had to do was scroll down.
But it displays nicely on my phone.

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 02:45 AM
That is so cool! But see the options are wraping at bottom and we found why and fixing it to use all width of page.

I remeber having to pee in a cup for a company I had worked at for 4 years, got a new manager that was nuts and really pissing everyone off and ruining company cause he knew nothing about it. Then implemented UA for employees. I asked to see his UA because I did not want to work for a drug addict or alcoholic? He was pissed and refused. So I told him I would pee in cup if he held it? He fired me... 2 weeks later company rehired me after he failed UA! :laugh:

1project2many
03-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Ok, try it out now. I cleaned up the HTML tags but that didn't help so I disabled wrap. For the phone browser that makes things tiny I'm not sure what to do yet.

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 05:47 AM
I think it looks a lot better! Will try on my small monitor later.

historystamp
03-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Looks great to me.

People seem to be going with fixed width web pages these days. Maybe wrapping got too complex.

Will try on my small monitor later.

I think you get the same result by putting your web browser in windowed mode & resizing the screen.

Robert

historystamp
03-23-2012, 06:46 AM
1project2many has too many projects. I wondered if I should even post this.

You could try to guess out cell phones by guessing that if it isn't windows nor a mac, it must be a cell phone.

Here is some PHP code to detect the platform.

I concluding testing after my third successful run. I have confidence! :yikes:

<html><head><title>Actual Platform</title></head>
<body>
<p>Welcome to Actual Platform</p>

<?php

echo "\n<br><br>Server...<br>\n";
var_dump($_SERVER);

$myHTTP_USER_AGENT = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
echo "\n<br><br> $myHTTP_USER_AGENT";

ereg('.*\((.*)\).*', $myHTTP_USER_AGENT, $browserEnv);
var_dump($browserEnv);

echo "\n<br>";
echo "$browserEnv[1]";

echo "\n<br>";
$myResult = explode(";",$browserEnv[1] );
var_dump($myResult);

$actualPlatform = $myResult[0];
echo "\n<br><br>actualPlatform = ";
echo "$actualPlatform";
echo "\n<br><br>Now display everything.<br><br>";
?>

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

</body>
</html>

Robert

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 06:53 AM
My laptop is a large wide screen high resolution. My ancient XP desktop is a square screen low resolution. I like the 2 because I can see how a page looks on each extreme.

That web page template we started with is done is percentages and years ago tested on 12 inch low resolution monitor and a 22 inch high resolution monitor and held together at each extreme. At this point I think we have found our end. I am looking toward summer projects but have already signed up for another Webmaster course this fall to learn how to present websites, pages and RSS feeds to new smart phone technology.

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 06:55 AM
As for 1project2many... :rockon: :happy: :thumbsup: :wtg:

Thank you for being part of the team and your effort of contribution beyond the call of duty!

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Just got an eMail from vBulliten...
The vBulletin Mobile Suite v1.2 is Now Available

Which would cover the forums for another couple hundred bucks but would still need to learn the right way to do regular webpages. Which I am not even going to think about till next fall! I am just burned out from all the computer work I have done this winter, Cabin Fever!!!

JeepsAndGuns
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
But see the options are wraping at bottom and we found why and fixing it to use all width of page.

Say what? Wraping? You must be seeing something I dont.

1project2many
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Too many projects? Me???? It really wasn't that hard to make the changes. I just had to take a 5 minute nap in the middle because I almost fell asleep on the keyboard and screwed up the source code. And I know from experience that never turns out well. (I once woke up from a keyboard nap with a sore nose and an entire program of gggggggggg.) :laugh:

One of the possible issues with disabling wrap is the phones or narrow display windows can't display all the info without scrolling left to right. I tend to find that annoying. I realized this morning I can do a little more work with table tags and re-enable wrap so the data would align differently in a narrow window. So this:

With F75 TRANSAXLE, FINAL
DRIVE, 3.18 RATIO

Will display like this:

With F75 TRANSAXLE, FINAL
DRIVE, 3.18 RATIO

I am interested in exporing options so this is more useable to everyone. How does the platform check respond to a Unix / Linux machine? Is it consistent or are there a lot of variations in that world? If there are only a few phone browsers maybe a check for browser type. The simplest way is a different URL designed just for narrow windows for those on phones but I dunno if that will throw off the search engines.

PJG1173
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I know my personal site has a mobile phone url. I don't have it set up right now. I know I've been to sites that have recognized I was on a mobile browser and redircted me to the mobile url. I'll get on one of my webservers and see if i can figure out how to make it work. if all else fails I'll take one of our web developers out for lunch and pick thier brain. I also remembered the other day I know a guy who does/did android app dev for google. I might be able pick his brain also.

When I get home I can boot my computer off my linux flash drive and see how the site looks though its built in browser.

1project2many
03-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Well I'm not about to say no to free help. Especially if it comes from professionals. I know the BCC site looks fine on my Linux PC and that's running Red Hat 7, vintage 1999.

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 06:19 PM
This is the kind of stuff that did not exist when I was taking webmaster courses, and the class I am signed up for here at North Idaho Collage this fall where I took all my other courses years ago.

There are ID browser checks in the HTML that can detect browser and see if it is a phone and re-direct to mobile app webpage. This does not interfere with search engines, actually helps.

Back to browser ID checks, today most all read the same, except mobile apps and some old computers that are beyond getting updates. Years ago there were so many differences that a webpage would look fine on a few and horrible on another. This is when I designed these few templates I have now I use as a starting point for any website I do. They can easily be changed to look like a completely different webpage from site to site.

historystamp
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I am interested in exporing options so this is more useable to everyone. How does the platform check respond to a Unix / Linux machine? Is it consistent or are there a lot of variations in that world? If there are only a few phone browsers maybe a check for browser type. The simplest way is a different URL designed just for narrow windows for those on phones but I dunno if that will throw off the search engines.

I found out there are a boatload load of Browsers. I suspect a few judicious string searches would sort out most of the computer vs. mobile web browsers.

Browser ID Strings (aka User Agent ID) for Computer/Laptops
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm

for mobile devices
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/mobile_ids.html

To get just the strings scroll down two or three pages, click on "All Browser Strings" ( it's just before a half page of code ) & wait a moment:

Things to note after a quick glance
-- linux appears on both lists
-- windows ce appears on the mobile list.

Robert

historystamp
03-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Is is possible to use a different template for mobile vs. the rest of the browsers?

Is this the added fee?

I think for mobile it might be considered to move the left links to the bottom of the page.

After the current changes, 1project2many has gone a long way in supporting mobile devices. Maybe this is enough?

Robert

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Yes the Moble app for the vBulletin software we use is a complete differant template using same database. This still would not cover mobile apps of the HTML side of the website. Which I am going to learn and do next winter. Just because of guys saying it is useful to use smartphone for BCC Find while at junkyards. And increase my Webmaster abilities...

Six_Shooter
04-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Is there no way to "zoom" in on the BB mobile browser?

On my iPhone, I just pinch the screen to enlarge the browser to read the small print. Most times just rotating the screen makes the print large enough to read (Landscape vs portrait mode).

I may have missed this, but is there a way to (reverse) look up BCC by MEMCAL part number? Sometimes the sticker gets damaged, or PROM removed, and it would be nice to know what the original application was to possibly use the LHM/knock filter parts of the MEMCAL.

I haven't used the BCCfind much, mostly because I forget about it, until after I've opened the Excel file I have been using for a few years. lol When I do use this though, usually when I'm on my phone and not near my laptop or PC, it's been helpful.

http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/misc-actually-pretty-badass.png

EagleMark
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Is there no way to "zoom" in on the BB mobile browser?

I just don't know? It's one of many things I would like to buy for additions to this website along with Sphinx search which is spectacular compared to the built in search, garage for cars, classifieds and many other things. But until the site starts to make some revenue it is what it is. I've got about a thousand bucks in it over the years and like you guys thousands of hours too!

This month it is moving to a new 4G network (flawless switch, no one should even notice) which adds just a few bucks a month hosting, but no more slowdowns at certain parts of day in certain areas for anyone. I have one hosting server account with several websites on including this one so no biggy, but it is on a server with many other websites as well. I and PG both saw a slowdown on 2 differant days last week. Could be because of us or could be a combination of us and other sites on the server. But that will end.

PJG1173
04-02-2012, 05:40 PM
yes my BB can zoom however you have to scroll all over the screen to see everything and it gets confusing real quick. my smart phone isn't as bad but it has a huge screen. I talked with one of our web developers and they mainly deal with internal facing websites (MS SharePoint), so they don't get into trying to display content to mobile devices, at least not yet. as far as develping an app the guy I was thinking could help has moved on and we don't have his contact info anymore. on of the develpers said there are some sites that are out there that will generate an android app for you based on a web page and there are a couple other things I looked up I am going to play with when I get a chance.

EagleMark
04-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Ended up with a glitch in the HTML code output I found when using it this morning.

<FONT COLOR= `RED> See the symbol before RED? That is right where the HTML output falls apart.

1project2many
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM
In BCCFind? Which BCC? I'll check it out this evening.

I found another PC so I can finally set up a dedicated Linux box for testing and development. Right now I have my wife's desktop torn apart with a spare HDD hanging out of the side for Linux work. The whole mess is piled up on the floor of my "office" with a 13" monitor delicately balanced on top. Cleaning: Another project for 1project2many.

Six_Shooter
04-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Cleaning: Another project for 1project2many AND Six_Shooter.

Truth!

EagleMark
04-06-2012, 08:36 PM
The original BCC Find.

historystamp
04-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Notice the copyright date of 20102. I'm glad gearhead-efi has such success.

Robert

EagleMark
04-06-2012, 11:01 PM
D'oh! :homer:

Six_Shooter
04-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Notice the copyright date of 20102. I'm glad gearhead-efi has such success.

Robert

Wicked, GH.com around another 18000 years. :D

I think it's my turn to borrow the time machine though...

EagleMark
04-07-2012, 12:24 AM
and protected in advance! :thumbsup: Offer is still open to document anything you have from other sites in your name there too!

I am working on a C3, C4 crossover of our own but it is a daunting task and with weather getting better my computer time is going to drop dramatically... I need sunshine and vitimin d... cabin fever... ahhhhh...

I'm waitng for 1project2many on this as I don't like to mess with his project. The HTML is a template I built so it may have the same mistake on all other pages.

1project2many
04-07-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm waitng for 1project2many on this as I don't like to mess with his project. The HTML is a template I built so it may have the same mistake on all other pages.

For the copyright? Mark, anything in the template is all yours. All the work I've done has been to the program or within the tags you said to work between. Or are you talking about the C3-P4 Crossreference?

Edit: I just tried about 20 BCC's and no issue. I may not have time to look at the source code this weekend but I'll try.

EagleMark
04-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Well something bad is happening because it's worse now... results are coming out in the area your working in and below the wrong copyright?

EagleMark
04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I am working on this right now so don't make any changes till I'm done! Really sucks when 2 guys work on same file!!!

EagleMark
04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Fixed! :wtg:

1project2many
04-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Glad ya got it. If anyone else was making changes it wasn't me.

EagleMark
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Just thought I would let you know in case you decided to look at it while I was fixing it.

EDIT: You got time to call me today? I think I found the issue that started this in the print cgi but want to check with you if it's OK to change and test?

1project2many
04-07-2012, 07:39 PM
PM Sent

1project2many
04-08-2012, 02:37 PM
So I had a chance to view the lookup page on a phone yesterday. I have little phone experience but on this one you could change from narrow screen with plenty of lines to a wider screen with only a few lines by rotating the phone. In the narrow screen mode the text was almost too small to view. With the phone sideways the page was viewable but only down to about the middle of the two graphics images. We could make some changes for the better. I never had a chance to see the results of a lookup because I gave up trying to get a keyboard to show up for typing a few letters but at least now I have a better idea how to set up the page so it displays nicely in the limited space of the mobile app and the larger area of a traditional display.

EagleMark
04-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I think the changes we talked about yesterday in the output script being opened up % wise will also help. I do have some smaller images of chip and memcal that will also help.

Never looked at this as a phone app but seems to be a valuble tool when searching the junkyard so may as well make it work a little better till next winter when I take the mobile app website course.

Six_Shooter
04-08-2012, 04:06 PM
It never occurred to me, until 1project2many was just talking about checking how it looks on an iPhone, that I could test this on my iPhone and post screen shots of what the screens look like,

1project2many
04-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I think the changes we talked about yesterday in the output script being opened up % wise will also help. I do have some smaller images of chip and memcal that will also help.

Never looked at this as a phone app but seems to be a valuble tool when searching the junkyard so may as well make it work a little better till next winter when I take the mobile app website course.

Finding a good horizontal image of a memcal would be great. The current images are too tall to display completely and the layout means you have to scroll the page vertically to view the BCC input box. A horizontal image would allow the text to display across more screen and take up less vertical space. I can get rid of the two paragraphs describing what BCCFind doesn't do. Maybe less text and shrinking one of the vertical images would work also. Have to do some research to find out how many lines the phone browser typically displays in the portrait mode.

EagleMark
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
vBulliten announced today the 4.12 update which includes a lightweight mobile browser, so when I get that installed the forums will be mobile app covered! Updates are free, but this willl not be all bells and whistles of the mobile suite. But probably more then we need...

Now when I learn webpages for mobile apps this winter we will be completly mobile covered!

Tunedperformance
04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
ANYY gm 16133632 does not show in bcc find.

1project2many
04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Is that a cal you have? Any idea what it came from?

Tunedperformance
04-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't have it yet. I might be buying it and reselling it to a guy. here is were I got the number for it. I cant look at cal data to see if it shows there.

http://www.3rdgenformula.com/89/promcodes.htm

EagleMark
04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Cal Data has no record of ANYY...

Tunedperformance
04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
If I end up buying it I will share the .bin, I still need to go through my $8d, 32, $32B, and $6E. I have a pretty vast collection that I have gathered over the years. I will do that soon and send it too you.

1project2many
05-01-2012, 01:45 AM
There are a bunch of calibrations for those options but all are for '88. There was a Vette cal for '88 or '89 which had an optional size wheel, IIRC it was 16". That car was in my shop and I read the cal but it never existed in GM's database. There weren't many differences. I'll have to dig out my notes and post it up. Anyway, maybe that's similar to the ANYY situation.

FWIW this calibration is still available new. Price at "gmpartshouse.com" is $52 so don't overbid.

Tunedperformance
05-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Thank you so much.

Tunedperformance
07-27-2012, 05:44 PM
2815 ANYY 1989 camaro/firebird tpi 305,MK6 manual transmission , Gm3 3.45 ,NB2 California emissions

EagleMark
07-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow not only the elusive bin but the whole memcal NEW! :rockon:

Tunedperformance
07-27-2012, 06:40 PM
emailed you 3 more $32B's to add to the collection ;)

EagleMark
07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks, I have several emails with bins I need to get put away.

1project2many
08-15-2012, 01:23 PM
5550 BCCFind searches as of today. Successful searches account for 73%. Many of the fails are due to me trying to locate manual trans cals for the 7427. :)

EagleMark
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
or me mistyping...

1project2many
08-15-2012, 05:12 PM
mistiping
misstyping
mistypngi
mssstpng

dunno what yer talkin about

EagleMark
08-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Neither does BCC Find when you enter a BCC that does not exist! :laugh:

Very rarely have I entered a correct BCC and not found it. Usually 1995 stuff, and I tried 96 Vortec bins don't work. But it is truly been a great tool! :thumbsup:

JeepsAndGuns
08-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Shoot, there has been times when I have misstyped and it STILL found a bin...LOL.
I noticed I misstyped when it pulled up something completely differet from what I was expecting to find.

1project2many
08-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Are you guys using the multiple parameter search at all?

The OBDII cals might be obtainable but GM really stopped using the BCC's as an identifier when those PCM's came out. The delco technet site has some of that data but collecting it might be a bit tricky.

EagleMark
08-16-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm not, I forgot how? If you spell it out I'll add the directions to the page.

How would BCC Find work without a BCC? I've been trying to figure out how to lay out the 800mb of OBDII files I have, best idea so far is by year?

1project2many
08-16-2012, 07:07 AM
The other search is still "beta."
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/resultT.shtml?BCC=zzz
This pulls up an "unable to locate search strings" page. Type in up to three strings of four letters / numbers each using spaces to separate them and press enter. It's a good way to reverse search.

How much additional information do you have with the OBDII cals? Make/model/bodystyle? Engine? Trans? Options?

EagleMark
08-16-2012, 08:22 AM
How much additional information do you have with the OBDII cals? Make/model/bodystyle? Engine? Trans? Options?
Most are " Year/Make/Model/Engine/Trans". Looking at TunerCat OBDII and EFI Live supported vehicles lists it's pretty easy to figure out by year...then...

85Z28NOS
08-17-2012, 06:52 PM
It's on my list of must have vehicles along with an S10 and Astrovan with 5.7L 4L60e vehicles! :innocent2:

Actually, GM did build these and even drove them on the street as test vehicles. The S-10 had a LT1 with all wheel drive( from a Bravada ) and was running around wearing 17X9 corvette rims and tires. I actually have photos of the S-10 with the manufacturer plate on it

1project2many
08-17-2012, 07:12 PM
That photo sounds pretty cool. Is that the same S10 as in the JTR V8 S10 book? I'll bet they never had the calibration certified for emissions. :)

I knew a guy who once saw a GM concept vehicle at a show with an "Emissions exempt: manufacturer vehicle" decal under the hood. Being a smart cookie, he memorized the part number. A couple of days later he tried to order that part number from the local dealer. That caused all sorts of red flags in GM's system and someone actually called the dealer from GM. When the dealer got off the phone he told the customer "Don't ever pull a stunt like that with me again."

1project2many
08-18-2012, 07:28 PM
LOL!!!

There have been 8796 successful searches and
553744 unsuccessful searches with Bccfind
from 1/22/2012 3:13pm until the time this page loaded.

From 5550 to 562,540 in three days with unsuccessful searches changing from about 27% to over 98%. Looks like someone's using software to hammer the database. At least the program's still running. Wonder if we can see where the searches were coming from?

Looks like somebody's getting errors now.

EagleMark
08-19-2012, 03:44 AM
There's no way I know of to check where searches are coming from... it's probably a search BOT, they are incredibly stubborn about finding what a form field will do. Can you just disable or keep private the unsuccessful searches?

There has been no increase in traffic so it may be a glitch in counter? 500,000 extra searches should have shown some increase in bandwidth...

1project2many
08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't think it was a glitch. While I was online earlier the successful counter increased by 9 in about a 5 minute period. I changed the name of the CGI file that runs the searches and the counters slowed way down, just like before.

EagleMark
08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
So did it stop?

I don't think anyone is intrested in or could profit from BCC searches? It's Sunday but I have a call into server to see if it could be traced somehow. Maybe a dumb but persistent hacker in China thinks it's a password entry and ran a program on it? :laugh:

500,000 is way to much for Search Engine Bots come to thing about it, I usually get about 50 failed to upload attemps in my email when they try to get files here. But this software has tracking...

1project2many
08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah, it stopped. It happened right after I posted the link to the reverse search so I'm pretty sure that was the one being used. I think someone was trying to get all the data out of the database. If you can extract all the data then you can build a new database from scratch. The easiest way is to look up all the calibrations starting with "A" and going toward "ZZZ." I'll bet if we did the math for all the combinations that don't exist it'l be close to what's on the counter. I can manually reset the fail counter so I might do that.

1project2many
10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Here's a new one.

BCC= BNKA3390 Scan id= 3395 Part number= 16213390
Release date= 03/13/95 Engine size= 6.0 Trans Type= all/no listing
ECM/PCM: ECM #16196388
Used in trucks: GMC
Possibly used in:
MD CONVENTIONAL 104" MD CONVENTIONAL 104" MD CONVENTIONAL 104"
MD CONVENTIONAL 104"

Options:
With LS0 6.0L GAS 8 CYL TBI
Without W99 MISC EQUIP FOR VENUZUELA
With X78 PECULIAR EQUIPMENT- COLUMBIA (EXPORT) <----- ?????

"I could tell you but then, well, you know what happens next."

JeepsAndGuns
10-19-2012, 01:41 AM
What is a md conventional 104?
And I wonder what is peculiar about it?...lol

EagleMark
10-19-2012, 02:52 AM
I thought you reset the fail counter? I was running it up the other day looking for LT1 cals... but not that high!

1project2many
10-19-2012, 06:54 AM
med convention 104 = medium duty, conventional cab and I believe the 104 refers to wheelbase which means it's a very compact vehicle on a medium truck chassis. I'd like to know what's peculiar, too.

Forgot to reset that counter. Technically it did perform that many searches, though.

EagleMark
12-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I did find an issue with AUC it shows to be a 7.8L ?

1project2many
12-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Added to the list of corrections to be made.

1project2many
06-20-2013, 12:29 AM
BCCFind seems to be down. Anyone know how long it's been out??

EagleMark
06-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Don't know? Used it about a week ago. Have not been in server so nothing was changed?

Six_Shooter
06-20-2013, 01:18 AM
We also seem to have more unsuccessful results than successful.

EagleMark
06-20-2013, 01:48 AM
That went up like 55k overnight? Long time ago, maybe a search tool or hacker got stuck there?

swat455
06-20-2013, 05:57 AM
I tried it before putting my bin info on my post ..if that helps..

1project2many
06-20-2013, 01:59 PM
The high number of fail counts was due to someone using a script or program to try sequential combinations through the reverse search link. A, B, C, etc. I broke the link for a short time and they stopped. But I've never gotten around to resetting the counters.

I'm going to try and check this out today.

Edit... Looks like the latest update to the counter was June 18th at 1:45 pm PST.
Yikes! The main program is garbage!
Ok, who crashed it! You know you're out there. :laugh:

Well, It's going to be a bit before I can spend some time with this.

EagleMark
06-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Have you been in the server? We seemed to have lost all icon pics in Bins. XDF, ADX etc.. section?

Wonder if this has something to do with what happened to BCC?

1project2many
06-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Sorry, I've been away.

I changed one file on BCCFind directory after posting about problem but I haven't been outside that directory.