PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol injection for NA motor

ronalgiere
05-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Hey guys if anyone is interested, I just successfully hooked up an alcohol/water injection system using my P4 as the controller. Most users of these systems are boosted but for those who are still running NA here's a way to run it. Before I start, I want to thank Bob for creating Dynamic EFI, just !\\@##$%^%^^^%% (file://\\@##$%^%^^^%%) awesome. I've always wanted to play around with water injection, for 2 reasons, MPG and power efficiency but the aftermarket kits are just too expensive to use as an experiment. I installed a P4 with a TPI swap into an 89 caprice wagon a little over a year ago. Never had EFI nor did I ever do a tune. What can I say, I am hooked! Now I stash a laptop under my seat just so I can play around. After emailing Bob about trying alc. injection I found out that the P4 is set up to control only boosted motors. Very disheartened but a friend suggested hooking it up to the N2o controls. It worked, it doesn't work off of the MAP but you can use TPS, MPH and RPM parameters. I know most guys out there are saying why bother? Well theory is water injection creates dense air, so I think that should bump compression a bit but the big thing is, it suppresses knocks. It supposed to inexpensively boost octane levels when activated. So far, it's working as planned, it has suppressed knocks but I still have to tweak it. Since I installed this motor, on long road trips 3-400 miles I was averaging 19.5 - 20 MPG. On it's first run after doing a few learns it clocked 20.7 mpg with mixed driving and highway speed of constant 74 mph. After 400 miles I've used 1 1/2 qts. of windshield washer fluid. (water and Meth. mix). Next, I'm going to increase the size of the spray nozzle. I'm figuring about 1 gal per 7-800 miles. More fluid means more knock suppression but I also don't want to wash the cylinder walls. If interested, the system cost less than $50. 12v 100 psi fluid pump from ebay or amazon $20, 12v fluid solenoid 1/4 NPT inlet and outlet $9, an oil burner nozzle and feed line (that's the hardest pc to find), out of a scrapped oil burner gun, some wire, inline fuse, high pressure hose and some mounting ingenuity. I started with .5 gph nozzle, went up to .75 but intend to go as high as 1.25. The aftermarket kits have a formula to figure quantity (@WOT). a 5 litre engine is somewhere around 2gph. Since I'm looking for more mileage, I'm trying less fluid but more often. My parameters so far : 0 mph, 27% TPS and 1350 RPM. Guys of course this is a try at your own risk project so if you try it start out slow! I'm not an engineer, a chemist or any type of scientist, just curious about how things work. Good luck, if anyone is interested and if I can figure out how, I will post links and pictures of my install.