PDA

View Full Version : ECM pulling timing

riche
04-23-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna apologize up front. I was talking with a friend that was trying to figure out how his ECM was pulling timing under certain load conditions. I told him there has to be some kind of traction control doing that. But I know holley's ECM and not stock type ecms.
I guess me question is I think he has the 91-92 ECM with and EBL. So would it have a traction control or something that would pull timing like that?
I know it is not his timing table, he has a massive stall almost 4k. So it flashes and does not stay in the lower map range long.
would appreciate any advice
thanks.

dave w
04-23-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm confused.
What computer are you using?
Holley?
Dynamic EFI EBL?
Factory computer?
TBI?
TPI?
If factory computer what is the part number?

Generally, OBD 1 systems do not have traction control.
Generally, OBD 1 computers retard spark due to spark knock.
Maybe there is false spark knock?

dave w

riche
04-24-2016, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave. It's an EBL modified stock ECM on a tuned port injection.
That was the first question I asked if he had the knock sensor hooked up.
I don't know the software or stock ecms. I only know Holley stuff.
I wonder if he doesn't have it connected but it is still enabled somehow and is still functioning somehow without a sensor connected.

dave w
04-24-2016, 07:01 AM
I have some experience with the EBL System. When the EBL System I was working with had timing pulled back, it was because of spark knock under heavy load.

dave w

riche
04-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks Dave, I will let him know to look closer at his knock sensor setup.
He says he doesn't have one, I don't know what he has as far as a harness is concerned.