PDA

View Full Version : E38 full flash using TC

Montecarlodrag
03-18-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm trying to do a full flash to a E38 ECM using a .cal I downloaded here. Winflash is not letting me do the flash, it says it's incompatible. I checked "Full Program" but didn't help. The cal opens fine in the tuner program.
I can flash the same .cal I read from the ECM, just can't flash other files I read from other ECMs or download from internet. I'm aware of the risks involved with flashing E38 ECMs with a different OS, but I have no choice. I'm trying only 2007-2008 .cals since this ECM is a 2007.

This is the first time I try to do this, I always edit the same file I read from the ECM and flash it back, never had an issue until today, the .cal I read from the ECM isn't accepting OS patches (to disable VATS) so I can't start the engine. That's why I'm trying to flash a different cal, to be able to apply the VATS patch.

Thanks

LRT
03-18-2016, 11:49 PM
I think in TC when you select the Force Full Program option with an E38, segments 7 and 8 must be the same in both of the calibrations, to allow the flash to proceed.

Post the cal that you read out of the E38 ... will see if I have something compatible for you to try.

kur4o
03-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Maybe full flash is unstable and risky via TC.
Why don`t you update it with stock os cal id with GM Oem tool first.
Then read with TC and modify. You will need a valid vin with the OS you want.
I doubt there is internal hardware changes at the PCM side.

Montecarlodrag
03-19-2016, 12:16 AM
I don't have the tools to flash using OEM software.
Later today I'll post the .cal file I have

Thanks guys

LRT
03-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Maybe full flash is unstable and risky via TC.
Why don`t you update it with stock os cal id with GM Oem tool first.
Then read with TC and modify. You will need a valid vin with the OS you want.
I doubt there is internal hardware changes at the PCM side.

TC works great with E38s - no issues. This is simply part of its quality assurance checks before flashing a different operating system - to prevent issues caused by incompatible calibrations. With the E38, tuning software can only write 6 out of the 8 segments. One of the non-accessible segments is the throttle controller - that is why there is a compatibility check.

1project2many
03-19-2016, 03:50 AM
One of the non-accessible segments is the throttle controller - that is why there is a compatibility check.

Is this segment non-accessible due to software author choice? I'm imagining concerns over incorrect throttle settings causing dangerous operation... Or is the E38 constructed in a way that segment 7 just can't be reflashed through the OBDII port?

LRT
03-19-2016, 04:55 AM
E37, E38, E67, E78, E83, E92 (and more) ECMs, are dual core processors. One of the cores is readable and writable - this contains the operating system and most of the calibration. The other core is write only - it cannot be read. It contains the throttle controller. As this core cannot be read - it is not accessible by any tuning software.

To fully program one of these ECMs requires the use of GM software (SPS / TIS), and is programmed via the OBDII (DLC) port.

dave w
03-19-2016, 05:37 AM
This link might help: http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%20Compatibility%20Guide.pdf

dave w

roughneck427
03-19-2016, 06:45 AM
The only way to flash it in is the Pcm recovery function using the file you want to go in it. Modules 7 and 8 are not written by TC so I don't know if they match what your using or not. Do you have a J2534 cable? I have an OEM log in you have helped me plenty times in the past.

Montecarlodrag
03-19-2016, 09:57 PM
The only way to flash it in is the Pcm recovery function using the file you want to go in it. Modules 7 and 8 are not written by TC so I don't know if they match what your using or not. Do you have a J2534 cable? I have an OEM log in you have helped me plenty times in the past.

I don't have a J2534 cable for GM. I was thinking about buying a Mongoose, do you think it will work good with OEM flashing system, or do I need another one?
Thanks

roughneck427
03-19-2016, 10:11 PM
I don't have a J2534 cable for GM. I was thinking about buying a Mongoose, do you think it will work good with OEM flashing system, or do I need another one?
Thanks

I use a mongoose GM cable 90% of the time and has worked great. I have a MDI units but it's large and bulky compared to the mongoose. The MDI2 was just released I ordered it 2 weeks ago it ran $700 but have to be a GM dealer I was able to run it through the Fleet account. Like I said using the PcM recovery function will flash it.

Montecarlodrag
03-19-2016, 10:21 PM
This link might help: http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%20Compatibility%20Guide.pdf

dave w

Great info!! Thanks a lot
So, my ecm has a 2008 OS. it came from a 2007 truck, completely stock so it was updated by the dealer.
It is 12622161, 6.0L truck
I just got word from TC, they say that the OS PATCH option is greyed because there is no patch available for that OS

Hope I can find a compatible .cal for this ECM or else I'll need to use HPT

Montecarlodrag
03-19-2016, 10:23 PM
I use a mongoose GM cable 90% of the time and has worked great. I have a MDI units but it's large and bulky compared to the mongoose. The MDI2 was just released I ordered it 2 weeks ago it ran $700 but have to be a GM dealer I was able to run it through the Fleet account. Like I said using the PcM recovery function will flash it.

I will try the PCM Recovery later today. Thanks a lot

kur4o
03-19-2016, 10:27 PM
You can get a chinese clone of GM unit for 200$. They are good quality and you will only need a subscription.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-GM-MDI-Multiple-Diagnostic-Interface-with-Wifi-GM-MDI-Auto-Diagnostic-Tool-gm-mdi-scanner/32321247919.html?spm

roughneck427
03-19-2016, 10:47 PM
I had these files

LRT
03-19-2016, 11:17 PM
I have a lot of 2007 and 2008 files. If you post the cal that you read out of the E38, I will look for one with the same 7 and 8 segments.

Montecarlodrag
03-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Well I updated my roadrunner software and the code patch was available. Funny since I was only 1 or 2 versions behind.
Truck is running now

Thanks folks, appreciate all the help

Montecarlodrag
03-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Let's see if somebody has a calibration compatible with this ECM. This is the ECM the truck came with and was flashed somewhere else. It was running on 4 cylinder only (3,5, 2 and 8 running, the other 4 have no pulse). I checked wiring from injector to ECM and it's OK.
So I tried another ECM, disabled vats and it ran fine.
I want to flash the original ECM with a stock CAL before dumping it, I suspect the flash is bad but I don't have a compatible one to test.

Best Regards.

LRT
03-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Segments 7 and 8 (the one's that can't be changed with tuning software) are correct for that VIN. It looks like the original 4.8L LY2 4L80 calibration was reflashed with tuning software with a 5.3L LY5 4L60 calibration.

roughneck427
03-22-2016, 06:28 AM
here is a stock cal for that vin