PDA

View Full Version : New to tbi tuning

FirstGenThree
02-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Just saw the mandatory newbie post rule. I'd like to think i'm on the opposite side of the fence from most newcomers. I have mild experience with efi live on newer vehicles, have an '03 5.3 in an '87 s10 and do some tuning for friends also. I've had a tbi 383 for about 12 years now, stock tune with 15.5 psi fp. Ran decent but i'm sure there was more in it. After 98k I tore it down for a freshening/reseal and to make it the engine what it should have been. With the addition of vortec heads, a crower 00480 roller cam and 9c1 injectors (the injectors were on for the last 20k or so) it really needs a tune. Purchased the APU1 setup with TunerproRT. There is a bit more to the tbi tuning as far as getting setup. Having some issues on the software side of it but I will make a new post. AOS degree in automotive services and master certified for 11 years, not a tuning guru by any means though. I tend to keep things mild and realistic until I know what i'm doing.

Kitch
02-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Can't really help with your tuning question but I'm interested in your engine combo as I'm contemplating something similar.
What did you decide to use for an intake manifold and what are you using for a throttle body?
I'm running a near stock 94 TBI 350 with headers and I've found 15PSI is only just adequate wth stock sized 350 injectors. I'm guessing your 9c1's are larger?

FirstGenThree
02-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Running the stock 5.7L throttle body, sprung for the overpriced GM vortec to tbi intake manifold, and yes the injectors are supposed to be 65lb vs 50 (or maybe 55). Was fairly disappointed in the intake, its a quality piece made by edelbrock for GM but you have to modify almost every bracket that bolts to the intake, and the biggest pain is vacuum port for the brake booster, it's right in the way of the fuel return line. The mods for the throttle cable and map sensor bracket are fairly simple but still it wouldn't have been that hard to make this a bolt in deal.