PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone using TCII upgraded to windows 10 yet?

Playtoy_18
01-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Just curious,I had another hard drive going on me and went with an SSD. The computer guy went with windows 10 and told me he could get it anything I use to work with it. So far he's right on with my Ford IDS software the past week.
Just now installing TCII and having file issues. Winflash fires up fine,haven't tried it yet though. TCII gives me an error 339 for an .ocx file though. I've tried to register it but it doesn't exist.
I remember with windows 7 originally we had to move some files around and i'm pretty sure create a folder along with compatibility etc..
I think the problem might lie in my reinstall strategy though.
I used my original (like 10 years ago serial cable original) disc,and then popped in the update disc from the USB cable. Then I went to the site and downloaded all the updates.
I can't install the tff updates because it says it's also missing that folder,pretty sure two different issues.

Any suggestions before I holler at the computer guy? I know he'll easily figure it out but hoping someone would have a better download link or something to try before I bother him.

Montecarlodrag
01-07-2016, 01:35 AM
TCOBDII is not even compatible with Win7, I had several issues and sent emails to TC, the answer was to use a VM running XP.
You may get lucky, but after a few bricked PCMs I decided not to gamble and been using it in a VM, no problems so far.

Playtoy_18
01-07-2016, 02:24 AM
Actually i've been using it with windows7 for several years now without many issues,no VM (virtual machine?) required.
I went ahead and messaged my guru to see what he says,just waiting on him to get back to me.
I've downloaded Efilive but haven't tested it or winflash yet,here in a few after I install hptuner i'll check them all out on th bench harness and report back any success or failure.

Playtoy_18
01-07-2016, 02:27 AM
I forgto to mention,I think I got the TFF issues worked out.
I recalled this from when we were figuring it out with windows 7, you must uncheck "read only" in properties of the TFF files/folders in the OBD2Tuner folder

Playtoy_18
01-07-2016, 05:23 AM
Just checked Efilive,hptuners and winflash. All of them worked and pulled files from my bench harness with a random 0411 just fine.

roughneck427
01-07-2016, 05:41 PM
TCOBDII is not even compatible with Win7, I had several issues and sent emails to TC, the answer was to use a VM running XP.
You may get lucky, but after a few bricked PCMs I decided not to gamble and been using it in a VM, no problems so far.

I agree reed I had to do the same thing. It's kinda of a pain like booting two laptops up but no bricked ECMs

dave w
01-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Just checked Efilive,hptuners and winflash. All of them worked and pulled files from my bench harness with a random 0411 just fine.
I just updated a Win 7 laptop to Win 10 by setting Win 7 to factory defaults, then upgraded to Win 10. So far I've only edited TCII .cal files. I will soon try WinFlash and report back.

dave w

Playtoy_18
01-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately didn't have the option to do it that way thanks to a "cryptowall" virus.
I had planned to just go back with win7 but guru suggested going ahead and upgrading since I needed the new hard drive anyway and nothing could be saved.

EDZIP
04-02-2016, 06:04 AM
Any updates related to using WinFlash via Win 10?

EDZIP
04-02-2016, 07:30 PM
FYI: Just did a flawless flash with WinFlash via Win 10

My laptop already had WinFlash on it when I did one of those free Win 10 upgrades..no problem at all during the flash.

freshda9
04-04-2016, 06:07 AM
I'll give it a ry on the bench flasher tomorrow. Im awaiting support from TC on an issue for my VM but i am afraid to try anything outside of XP OS as I too have seen ecms brick on other OS.

EDZIP
04-04-2016, 02:21 PM
I have an extra pcm with DIP sockets so if it bricks, just reflash the chips and try again. That's how I determined my ALDL cable was bad, used another cable and Win 10 flashed nicely.

freshda9
04-05-2016, 05:37 AM
was doing some bench flashing with TC2 and Win10 so far no failures even with a full flash.

antus
05-03-2016, 02:05 AM
If your having problems with missing OCX files on win7 or win10 (or I would assume win8.x too) put the attached OCX files in the documented locations (different for 32 and 64 bit OS) and run the regsvr32 commands from the readme in a command prompt with admin access.

Playtoy_18
08-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm back to stripping it all out and trying again.
Everything worked fine except only a few VDF's would work.
I think one of my biggest issues,that has always given me problems,is from using the old serial disc,then using the usb update disc etc..
Anybody have a clean install for USB from when they bought new?
i've got the link for TC site to what should be a full install but it's giving me issues.
Have deleted all now for the 3rd time and going to try again.

ony
08-06-2016, 01:34 PM
when I went to windows 10 I had problems with not having administrater privilegas till I right clicked on program icons and changed them

Playtoy_18
08-06-2016, 01:50 PM
I've done everything I can think of including that.
Now i'm getting file path errors.
I'm gonna check out this virtual machine I guess.
Now even my original xp pro backup laptop is giving me issues.

EDZIP
08-06-2016, 02:20 PM
For what it's worth..the Tuner Cats site has a WinFlash Update listed under the original WinFlash download. Has the same version number but is a separate download.

Playtoy_18
08-07-2016, 05:07 AM
Winflash hasn't given me any issues oddly enough,it's all TCII giving me issues.
i've got a download link john gave me several years ago to the full tuner install and have tried using it (version 3.45) but still nothing.
I've got a couple ideas i'll try,my guru said updating to W10 pro and running hyperV won't be the best idea with my laptop due to memory issues.

roughneck427
08-07-2016, 05:48 AM
I had an issue with certain Vdfs not show due to in properties the read only box was checked and that made it unavailable

Playtoy_18
08-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Yeah I remembered that issue from windows7 install back in the day,also the .dat or form files as well.
I've tried that,as well as changing the entire obd2tuner folder from read only,also the VDF's themselves before and after etc..
First it kept asking me for VDF when trying to open a .cal/.bin,then it started giving me path errors. Checking the folder most of my VDF's aren't even unzipping into the folder it looks like.
I have a small suspicion i'm not wiping all of it out when uninstalling. I keep seeing old files come up in the list of previous files when I go to open a .cal to test in TC. Since I just reinstalled there shouldn't be anything there.
Any suggestions for a clean wipe?
My IDS software is similar,if you don't get a full wipe and clear certain files/folders afterwards it will screw the new install.

roughneck427
08-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Can you just install the base program unzip the VDf files to a folder on the desktop and paste them in Cats folder? With Ford IDS there is a cleanup utility BTW and I have IDS act up I just use the repair function.

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/ids/mcs/troubleshooting.asp

Playtoy_18
08-07-2016, 08:29 AM
Yeah,same way I do it as well with the IDS. If you are using a subscription license just make damn sure you unattach it from the program before uninstalling and cleaning up.
Had to call tech hotline once to reassign my license,can't freaking stand those arrogant copy/paste pricks most of the time.
i don't use subscription anymore though,running a version with a patch for the license requirement since I left Ford.

I have all the VDF's in a folder,and I open and unzip them one at a time into the tuner folder.
You're suggesting unzipping all of them into a seperate folder and then pasting those files into tuner folder?
I like that idea and will try it for sure.
I am curious though,adding VDF's also updates the .dat and form files usually in the process right?
So after adding the vdf files,then I should update to the latest .dat and form files right?
I've been thinking it has possibly been in my order of operations,but sure I tried all possible ways.
I'll try this in just a few and post back up the results,excellent suggestion thanks.

roughneck427
08-07-2016, 09:33 AM
This is what I just did for my desk top computer. I installed my program from the install. I copy the OBD2Tuner folder from my tuning laptop to a USB drive. I took my USB copy and pasted the folder contents into the new installed computer and when the message pops up I copy and replace for all conflicts.

Playtoy_18
08-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Well i've only checked a couple files so far but that seems to have worked like a charm,you're a genius.
I also keep my vdf's on both a USB stick and large portable drive attached to the network (as well as the original email attachments in an email folder).
I added a subfolder to it (have a folder for VDF's and folder with files) and unzipped everything into there (30+ megs worth even after overwriting).
I confirmed after the first unzip that form and dat files were overwritten.
So after unzipping all the vdf's and vdf update files I went ahead and unzipped both the form and dat updates as well.
Fired up TCII and it opened everything so far!

I also tried to change my unzipped subfolder from read only,but everytime I did my doublecheck it was back to read only even as administrator.
So that was odd,but didn't seem to affect it.
Also,I didn't uninstall last night after finishing up,so it worked with whatever final nightmare I ended up with last night.
Many many thanks for the suggestion! I've got a swap pcm to do and then i'll dig through my library randomly and see what happens.

IntheBatCave
08-21-2016, 11:39 PM
If your having problems with missing OCX files on win7 or win10 (or I would assume win8.x too) put the attached OCX files in the documented locations (different for 32 and 64 bit OS) and run the regsvr32 commands from the readme in a command prompt with admin access.

Hi I'm new to the site, I'm dusting off an S10 project that has been sitting for nearly five years and I'm nearly ready to get it back on the road again. I have a copy of Tunercats that I haven't even had on a running laptop in at least the same amount of time. The only laptop I have now is running Windows 10, and I found this place, and your post trying to figure out how to get it to work. I downloaded your zip file but when I open it up it I only found 32bit ocx files. Any help is greatly appreciated.