PDA

View Full Version : What if, Black Box PCM repurposed as TCM?

dave w
12-27-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm in the planning stages of a daily driver 1996 S10 Blazer L33 engine swap.

The challenges:
Retain the original VCM due to ABS and other related chassis interactions with the VCM. Quote from:http://www.currentperformance.com/s10-v8-ls-lt-custom-wiring/ "The ’96 model has an ABS control under the hood that is only used in ’96. This system is controlled by the stock truck computer and the wiring runs through the engine harness, whereas most other years have a separate computer and harness to control the ABS.

I've confirmed there is wiring (undocumented in All Data Online) from the 96 VCM to the ABS module. I figured if I have to keep the original VCM, I'd like to keep as much VCM wiring as possible, including the 4L60E transmission wiring. I'd like to keep the L33 PCM wiring to a minimum (bare bones). Washington State emission testing for the 1996 Blazer is read for OBD2 codes only.

The list of inputs I think are needed for the original VCM to operate the 4L60E:
VSS
Ignition Power
Ground
Battery
TPS (will be another challenge due to the L33 Drive by Wire system)
Brake Input
Ignition RPM Input???? (if required what RPM signal from the L33 PCM would be used?)
Custom Flash

Ideas and thoughts are welcomed:thumbsup:

dave w

Skinny Pedal
12-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Convert the L33 to DBC for TPS. Its still 24x. Convert to single wire P/N for idle/spark control.

With RPM is it hitting the black box from crank sensor? Set tach out to proper pulse and maybe use a pull up circuit. Or am I thinking about it wrong?

Other question is what is hitting the ABS from VCM? Speed and what, I think it shares a brake signal. I do not believe there are any comms. If thats the case then run the LS1B and ditch the VCM. On LS conversions we have done with that era of truck we have always only used the ECM from the LS. Never had an issue.

As far as code reading. There are only codes if you tie the comms together. Get what I mean.

Montecarlodrag
12-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Last time I checked the wiring for a blazer this year, I had the impression the ABS module is only a modulator valve, is not a ABS module per se. So it needs the stock PCM to operate.
The only blazer from this year I have done a 5.3L swap to already had the ABS deleted so I didn't try to make it work.
What I would do is to use a EBCM from a newer truck and delete the harness and stock PCM to use the L33 PCM and harness. The use the same signals so it should be easier than making 2 PCMs live together

Skinny Pedal
12-28-2015, 01:29 AM
With his year L33 the EBCM would need the BCM too, right? On DBW truck/suv doesnt gen 3 route TAC control/external control and can comms through the BCM. I could be on crack here. Just trying to think what all we have kept on full chassis swaps. For some reason the BCM is sticking in my mind for proper operation of EBCM.

LRT
12-28-2015, 02:01 AM
What I would do is to use a EBCM from a newer truck and delete the harness and stock PCM to use the L33 PCM and harness. The use the same signals so it should be easier than making 2 PCMs live together

+1

Swap in a 1998+ S10 ABS Pump and Module (EBCM) assembly (they are very inexpensive used - eBay or wrecking yard). A P01 or P59 PCM is capable of sending a 4K VSS signal to the speedometer, and a 128K VSS signal to the EBCM.

Montecarlodrag
12-28-2015, 02:03 AM
With his year L33 the EBCM would need the BCM too, right? On DBW truck/suv doesnt gen 3 route TAC control/external control and can comms through the BCM. I could be on crack here. Just trying to think what all we have kept on full chassis swaps. For some reason the BCM is sticking in my mind for proper operation of EBCM.
Well, He didn't say which year is the L33 computer. If it's Gen4 with CAN bus it will be much more difficult.
For Gen3 controllers there is no need for a BCM. TAC module, ABS and everything work without a BCM since the Class2 bus comes from the PCM to all other modules.
Gen4 controllers use the BCM as a bridge for Class2, but the EBCM is tied to the high speed GMLAN, the problem is not the BCM but the added complexity. I have not tried this but have done similar things and I can say Gen4 electronic systems are a PITA, a lot more work and time for little to no advantage using them.

I think there are no Gen4 L33 engines, so I should be a Gen3

Skinny Pedal
12-28-2015, 02:15 AM
I just meant with 1 meg gen 3 truck/suv there are further tac and EBCM control in the BCM. Its not needed for full stand alone.

dave w
12-28-2015, 02:35 AM
I've only seen pictures of the engine and harness. The smart phone pictures are poor quality. It appears the harness is from a LS1b PCM (green / blue). The only clear picture I have shows the ECM / PCM connectors cut from the harness.:mad1: The original PCM is not available, who knows where it is. The engine has seen several owners recently. My job, is to build a custom harness and flash a PCM. I find it very interesting that Current Performance builds a harness for the same vehicle application that requires two computers, so monkey see / monkey do?:roll:
Actually this is whole project is a nightmare in the making!:yikes:

I'm challenged by the option of the DBC option, seems like a good plan would be to use a native PCM / Flash for the L33.

Would the L33 PCM correctly operate (plug-n-play) the 1996 4L60E?

dave w

Skinny Pedal
12-28-2015, 02:45 AM
I think 96 is the year you have to change internal electronics... Upgrade.

L33 is a 2005-2007 engine from 1/2 ton silverado and sierra. Should be 1 meg gen 3 all the way. Converting is not hard and can stay 1 meg. Now I only say convert to ease integration of systems if you go that route. TPS and APP DBW signals are not going to like a piggy back. Plus voltage is not in the same line as normal TPS.

lionelhutz
12-28-2015, 03:54 AM
The PCM should control the transmission just fine. it was the 95 that was a 1-year only. As you go newer there are upgraded internals and the bellhousing is removable starting in 97 or 98, but they can all swap up until the ISS was added around 2008 I believe for use with TCM's. Just the converter changes to match with the LS crank dimension.

I'd ditch the original box. Either remove that early ABS system or upgrade it to a newer system.

Skinny Pedal
12-28-2015, 04:27 AM
I can never remember the odd ball 1 year minus one solenoid 4l60. LOL

JeepsAndGuns
12-29-2015, 03:35 PM
+1

Swap in a 1998+ S10 ABS Pump and Module (EBCM) assembly (they are very inexpensive used - eBay or wrecking yard). A P01 or P59 PCM is capable of sending a 4K VSS signal to the speedometer, and a 128K VSS signal to the EBCM.

I really have nothing useful to input to the thread, just reading through it to have something to do.
But I agree with LRT. If the vcm/abs is a one year odd ball thing, then why keep it? If it fails in the future, parts or replacements may be very hard to find and expensive. I would think that swapping to a more common and/or compatible abs module might be the better road to travel on?

Montecarlodrag
12-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Truth is, GM is very friendly for engine swaps and part interchangeability. I have done swaps in 88 trucks keeping stock cluster fully functional including speedo, controlled by a 2003-2007 P59 PCM.
Ford and Dodge are much more difficult.

dave w
01-01-2016, 08:31 AM
I saw the engine that will be going into the 96 Blazer, see attached pics.

Would I be correct, this is a 58x engine (CKP sensor is gray)?

Would I be correct, the original ECM for this engine was the E38?

Would I be correct, this is a 2007 pickup engine?

Would I be correct, I will need to use a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter (http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=L460065397&Category_Code=C163#.VoYMZE_LLuc) to use an '0411 PCM?

Would I be correct, converting to Drive by Cable is a good plan?

Would I be correct, this will be a nightmare conversion (not budget friendly) regardless the option of one computer or two computers is used?

Thoughts are appreciated,

dave w

mecanicman
01-01-2016, 10:57 AM
I saw the engine that will be going into the 96 Blazer, see attached pics.

Would I be correct, this is a 58x engine (CKP sensor is gray)?
Yes
Would I be correct, the original ECM for this engine was the E38?
Yes
Would I be correct, this is a 2007 pickup engine?
Yes
Would I be correct, I will need to use a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter (http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=L460065397&Category_Code=C163#.VoYMZE_LLuc) to use an '0411 PCM?
Yes, or replace reluctor and cam timing gear.
Would I be correct, converting to Drive by Cable is a good plan?
Yes, although dbw can be done.
Would I be correct, this will be a nightmare conversion (not budget friendly) regardless the option of one computer or two computers is used?
No, can be done very budget friendly( although I guess that depends on what your budget is?)
Thoughts are appreciated,

dave w

Keeping the original pcm is not feasible. Either disable the abs and run conventional brakes or swap to a newer abs module.

LRT
01-01-2016, 06:53 PM
From the photos that is a 2007 or 2008 58x truck engine. It looks like it may have DOD (AFM).

This is where the Rabbit hole can get very deep, very quickly.

Options:
1) Sell this engine and purchase a 24x engine - to use a PCM.
2) Use a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter - to use a PCM.
3) Use an E67 with a TBSS calibration.

No matter which of these options you choose, I would not recommend trying to reuse the S10 4L60E. Also, the additional "small" costs are going to add up quickly.

dave w
01-01-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking the engine pictured in post 14 would be the LY5 / VIN code "J"?

I'm thinking the knock sensors are "Flat Response"; so I'm wondering what would be needed to be done in a 24x (512K) flash to get these flat response sensors to work correctly? Is there a native 24x (512K) flash application (aluminum block) I can get the Flat Response parameters from? I wonder if I need to use a different part # Flat Response knock sensor for a 512K flash application.

dave w

LRT
01-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Most people who go down this road will mount Gen 3 (Resonant) knock sensors on the sides of the Gen 4 block.

There is no Rosetta Stone for this component / controller mismatch. There are commercial suppliers (Howell and PSI come to mind) who sell wiring harnesses and PCMs for 24x LS2 engine layouts (with Flat Response knock sensors), but in actuality these have ZERO knock protection - in other words the PCMs don't work correctly with the Flat Response knock sensors.

lionelhutz
01-01-2016, 10:09 PM
LRT- you bring up a good point. Assuming it's a V6 4L60e, it would require a rebuild to V8 standards before it had any chance of standing up behind this engine.

dave w
01-01-2016, 11:07 PM
What if I open up the possibility of a 24x / 1Meg PCM (blue / green) with flat response? I have a 1Meg DBC PCM. I'm assuming the Lingenfelter will work with a 1Meg PCM.

dave w

LRT
01-01-2016, 11:34 PM
If you Google the topic (LS2 knock sensors with PCM), you could probably read for hours. A handful of people "claim" to have made this work - although none have shared how. In the end, with a PCM (Blue / Red or Blue / Green) the Gen 3 (Resonant) knock sensors will need to be used.

Helped out on one of these (24x with Flat Response knock sensors) which was fitted with a Howell wiring harness and PCM. Logging data, there was no knock sensor input being sent to the PCM. In the end, the answer was to install the older (Gen 3) Resonant knock sensors to the sides of the block.

Skinny Pedal
01-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Gen 3 4.3s were flat response.

dave w
01-02-2016, 01:02 AM
Gen 3 4.3s were flat response.
Interesting, maybe you can post a stock 4.3 flat response .ctz / .cal / .bin file?

Attached is a screen shot from EFI Live. I'm sure there are more parameters involved for setting flat response.

dave w

mecanicman
01-02-2016, 03:43 AM
an e67 pcm is a can bus network setup and none of the stock gauges will work. You can drill and tap the block for the ls1 style(valley) knock sensor or repin for the ls3 style, either way requires tuning the knock sensor tables as they do not work with stock settings. You should check out s10forum.com lsx discussion section. All of the info your seeking has been discussed.

Skinny Pedal
01-02-2016, 04:00 AM
Sure thing.

Here is a half meg and 1 meg CTZ

LRT
01-02-2016, 04:28 AM
The referral to the S10 forum will provide insight on what others have already tried.

People have already tried using the 4.3L Flat Response knock sensors, and tune settings - without success.

The E38 is 100% Canbus - and is not compatible with vehicles that require Serial Data output to the OEM gauges.

The E67 is capable of outputting Serial Data to the gauges. The TBSS calibrations (and a few others) are setup for Serial Data output.

So an E67 with a TBSS calibration is a viable option.

If memory serves, the 1997 S10 Fuel Gauge uses a buffer module between the fuel sender and the PCM - but it can be rewired to read the correct fuel level without the stock PCM.

Hog
01-02-2016, 06:25 PM
LRT- you bring up a good point. Assuming it's a V6 4L60e, it would require a rebuild to V8 standards before it had any chance of standing up behind this engine.
There is no difference strength wise between the 4.3 4l60e and the V8 units. The earlier V6 4l60/700r4s used to have fewer clutches in the 3-4 clutch pack, but the later 60e's were the same.

I have run a 1999 4.3 60e and DCLF high stall V6 TC behind my Vortec 350 for years. And it gets wailed on. The DCLF TC was a very nice upgrade considering it was a stock OEM part.

peace
Hog

LRT
01-02-2016, 06:55 PM
There is a significant difference in durability between the the S10 4L60E and the 4L65E that would have been originally mated with the LY5 engine. Additionally, I believe to mate the S10 4L60E to the LY5 might require a different flexplate, and a spacer, and longer flexplate bolts. In the end, using an LSx 4L65E seems like a better choice.

Montecarlodrag
01-02-2016, 09:15 PM
I have done Gen4 swaps and I'd advice you to sell that engine and buy a Gen3. Reasons:

1- Unless you are planning to change the crank reluctor and cam wheel, you need to buy a Lingenfelter converter box. $240 expense.
2- You need to re-arrange the harness to change several plugs
3- You need to buy a Gen3 alternator, the one from a Gen4 will not charge properly without a E38 ECM and BCM, it will default to 13.8V. This is good for most setups, but you need an older one if you need/want proper voltage regulation.
4- Knock sensors will never work properly. There are ways to do it but it's time consuming and in my opinion not completely reliable.
5- You will be forced to go DBC, since the Gen4 TB isn't compatible with Gen3 DBW TAC/Pedal (you'd need yet another converter box). You need a 90mm TB (another expense).
6- Gen3 PCM will not control DOD nor VVT

It's more work and more money with no real advantages.

Hog
01-04-2016, 09:24 PM
There is a significant difference in durability between the the S10 4L60E and the 4L65E that would have been originally mated with the LY5 engine. .

Yes, the 4l60e is rated at 360lb/ft torque and 610 gearbox lb/ft of torque. The 4l65e is rated at 380 lb/ft of torque and 670lb/ft of gearbox torque.

peace
Hog

LRT
01-04-2016, 10:18 PM
The intent of my original comment was to help keep costs down. These projects have a way of spiraling out of control. It is amazing how $100 here, and $300 there, becomes an additional $10,000 in what was often supposed to be a low dollar project.

By the time you upgrade the S10 4L60 to 4L65 specs (not a full rebuild, just a hard part upgrade), and purchase the flexplate / spacer kit - you will have exceeded the cost of a good used LSx 4L65 - and would still not have a completely comparable transmission.

My two cents is either sell the LY5 (Gen 4) engine and purchase a Gen 3 engine, or sell the Gen 1 style 4L60 and purchase a Gen 4 style 4L65.

Just trying to highlight some potential hidden costs, not trying to derail Dave's thread.

dave w
01-05-2016, 12:37 AM
I appreciate ALL the input I'm getting!:thumbsup:

My current thinking, which may change:
Use the LY5
Use the 96 4L60E
Use a 1 meg DBC PCM with L33 / 4L60E modified Flash
Use L33 knock sensors
Retain the Black Box VCM

DBC is possible with a 1 meg PCM. The 96 4L60E should be compatible with a 1 meg 4L60E PCM programming. The Lingenfelter 58x / 24x conversion should be compatible with a 1 meg PCM. The L33 Flash will have native knock sensor programming to match the L33 knock sensors. The L33 Flash should be close enough to run, then tune to the LY5?

I'm responsible the harness and flash for this project (the easy stuff ,:yikes:) which is why I appreciate ALL the input of this thread.

dave w

Hog
01-05-2016, 04:29 AM
I appreciate ALL the input I'm getting!:thumbsup:

My current thinking, which may change:
Use the LY5
Use the 96 4L60E
Use a 1 meg DBC PCM with L33 / 4L60E modified Flash
Use L33 knock sensors
Retain the Black Box VCM

DBC is possible with a 1 meg PCM. The 96 4L60E should be compatible with a 1 meg 4L60E PCM programming. The Lingenfelter 58x / 24x conversion should be compatible with a 1 meg PCM. The L33 Flash will have native knock sensor programming to match the L33 knock sensors. The L33 Flash should be close enough to run, then tune to the LY5?

I'm responsible the harness and flash for this project (the easy stuff ,:yikes:) which is why I appreciate ALL the input of this thread.

dave w
FYI Dave, I just wanted to let you know that your LY3 5.3 with its rating of 315hp@5200rpm/338lb/ft torque@4400rpm originally came with the rpo-M30 4l60e and not a 4l65e rpm M32.

Since the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder 4l60e is one in the same, you aren't asking the trans to operate outside its design parameters. Not too say the trans will be bulletproof, but your light vehicle weight is going to help the trans survive. If you do ever rebuild, don't just install the 65e parts, its a marginally stronger trans.

peace
Hog

Fast355
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Yes, the 4l60e is rated at 360lb/ft torque and 610 gearbox lb/ft of torque. The 4l65e is rated at 380 lb/ft of torque and 670lb/ft of gearbox torque.

peace
Hog

I have blown both of them up with a ~300 HP 350! 4L60e and 4L60E built to 4L65E specs with 4L65E hard parts.

The factory 4L60Es in my brothers 99 Suburban held up for about 15K before he sold it, but also had the command shift times set at 0.3s across the board and had 30% torque reduction from about 150 ft/lbs and beyond in all 3 upshifts and 2 downshifts. I have the same exact transmission tune in my brothers 99 Tahoe behind a cammed L30. The suburban had a DCLF converter and the Tahoe a factory. The Tahoe shifts noticeably firmer because of the tighter converter.

Playtoy_18
01-07-2016, 02:44 AM
I'll have to pop back in and read through all of it,but it should be very possible.
As I recall Street and Performance in Mena,Ar did thier initial LS swaps this way or similar.
When the 0411 swap project was going I recall a couple of us sending emails to them both asking about how they did something that pertained to the 0411 swap as well as attempting to convince them there was no reason to run two pcm's.
I don't recall what platform it was though,LS/vortec or LT1 swap. I want to say it involved swapping the LS into a vortec truck but not sure it was prob 8+ years ago.
Maybe Pauly or Jeff recall it.

dave w
02-04-2016, 02:53 AM
I searched Auto Trader for a couple L33 VIN #'s:
1GCEK19B85Z328182
1GCEK19B65E281547

I would greatly appreciate help confirming the above VIN #'s are from vehicles with the L33 / 4L60E powertrain.

I plan to purchase a .cal from TC. I'm wanting to make sure before spending the money.

dave w

mecanicman
02-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Both 2005 4x4 l33 engine trucks. I dont believe the l33 came with anything but the 4l60. If you have an existing 5.3/4l60 file why not use that? Minimal difference between them.

dave w
02-04-2016, 08:45 AM
If you have an existing 5.3/4l60 file why not use that? Minimal difference between them.I don't have an existing file, so I plan to buy one from TunerCats.

dave

kur4o
02-04-2016, 01:57 PM
VIN: 1GCEK19B85Z328182VIN Decode1:U.S. BUILT
G:GENERAL MOTORS
G:ISUZU
C:CHEV TRUCK
E:GVWR RANGE 6001-7000 BRAKE SYSTEM - HYD CADILLAC COMMERCIAL BODY/CHASSIS
K1:FULL SIZE TRUCK 4X4, 1500 (1/2 TON)
9:EXTENDED CAB/EXTENDED VAN (COLORADO,CANYON,SIERRA, SILVERADO,ASTRO,SAFARI,EXPRESS,AND SAVANA)
B:ENG OPT - L33 DISPL(L) - 5.3 CYL - V8 FUEL SYS - SFI PROD IN - U.S.
8:CHECK DIGIT
5:2005 MODEL YEAR
Z:FORT WAYNE IN
Z:FREMONT CA
328182: PRODUCTION SEQUENCE
VIN: 1GCEK19B85Z328182RPO Codes1SB = PACKAGE-OPTION 02 (1SB)
1SZ = PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ)
69D = TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH,VERY DARK PEWTER (69D)
69I = INTERIOR TRIM COLOR,MEDIUM BEIGE/VERY DARK PEWTER INTERIOR TRIM COLOR(69I)
6YH = COMPONENT FRT LH COMPTR SEL SUSP(6YH) SUSP(6YH)
74U = EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (74U)
7YH = COMPONENT FRT RH COMPTR SEL SUSP(7YH) SUSP(7YH)
A31 = WINDOW,ELECTRIC OPERATED,SIDE ELEC SI WDO(A31)
AE7 = SEAT,FRT SPLIT,EASY ENTRY EASY ENTRY SPLIT F/SEAT(AE7)
AG1 = ADJUSTER FRT ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL, DRIVER MULTI-DIRECTIONAL PWR D/SEAT ADJR(AG1)
AL0 = SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR INFL REST IND SENSOR(AL0)
AM7 = SEAT,REAR FOLDING RR FLDG ST(AM7)
AU0 = LOCK CONTROL,REMOTE ENTRY(KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM) REMOTE ENTRY LK CONT(AU0)
AU3 = LOCK,SIDE DOOR,ELECTRIC ELEC S/D LK(AU3)
B30 = CARPET,FLOOR AND WHEELHOUSE FLR CPT(B30)
B32 = COVERING,FLOOR MATS,FRONT AUXILIARY FRT AUX FLR MATS(B32)
B33 = COVERING,FLOOR MATS,REAR AUXILIARY RR AUX FLR MATS(B33)
B85 = ORNAMENTATION,EXTERIOR,BELT REVEAL MOLDING BELT RVL MLDG(B85)
C49 = DEFOGGER,REAR WINDOW,ELECTRIC ELEC RR WDO DEFG(C49)
C7H = GVW RATING 6400 LBS 6400 GVWR(C7H)
CJ3 = AIR CONDITIONER,FRONT,MANUAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL,AUXILIARY TEMPERATURE CONTROL A/C FRT MAN/AUX CONTROL(CJ3)
DF5 = MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,LT SENSITIVE,COMPASS,O/S TEMP DISPLAY I/S REARVIEW MIR W/COMPASS(DF5)
DK7 = CONSOLE ROOF INTERIOR,CUSTOM,COMPASS & OUTSIDE TEMP RF CNSL(DK7)
DL3 = MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED POWER FOLDING, TURN SIG IND, LT SENSITIVE, COLOR ELEC HEATED O/S MIR(DL3)
E62 = BODY EQUIPMENT,STEPSIDE PICKUP BOX STEPSIDE PUBX(E62)
EVA = TEST DVT, EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT EVAP EMISSIONS REQUIRED(EVA)
FE9 = FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION FED EMIS(FE9)
FK2 = ARM,TORSION BAR,SPRING ADJUST,LH TORS BAR SPR ADJ ARM(FK2)
FK3 = ARM,TORSION BAR,SPRING ADJUST,RH TORS BAR SPR ADJ ARM(FK3)
FWI = PLANT CODE FORT WAYNE, IN GM T&B FORT WAYNE,IN PLANT(FWI)
G80 = AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL(G80)
GT5 = AXLE,REAR,4.10 RATIO 4.10R(GT5)
JF7 = BRAKE VAC POWER, 17" DISC/DRUM, W/RWAL, 6,400 LBS 6,400 LB VAC PWR BRK(JF7)
K34 = CRUISE CONTROL,AUTOMATIC,ELECTRONIC CRCONT(K34)
K47 = AIR CLEANER HIGH CAPACITY HI CAPACITY A/CL(K47)
KG3 = GENERATOR 145 AMP 145 AMP(KG3)
KNP = COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY HVY DUTY TRANS CLG SYS(KNP)
KUP = THROTTLE CONTROL VARIABLE SPEED (ELECTRONIC) ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL(KUP)
L33 = ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.3L, SFI, V8, ALUM, HO, GM 5.3B(L33)
M30 = TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 4 SPEED,4L60E,ELECTRONIC 4-SPD AUTO TRANS(M30)
NP5 = STEERING WHEEL,LEATHER WRAPPED LEATHER WRAPPED STRG WHL(NP5)
NP8 = TRANSFER CASE ACTIVE, TWO SPEED, PUSH BUTTON CONTROL TRANSFER CASE(NP8)
NT8 = EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 A TIER 2 A FED EMIS(NT8)
NZZ = PACKAGE,OFF ROAD SKID PLATE,SPORT SKID PLT PKG(NZZ)
P03 = COVER,WHEEL WHL CVR(P03)
PDU
PY9 = WHEEL 17 X 7.5, CHROME APPEARANCE CHROME WHL(PY9)
QVM = TIRE ALL P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS TIRE(QVM)
R9U
R9Z
SAF = LOCK SPARE TIRE, HOIST SHAFT SPARE TIRE LOCK HOIST SHF(SAF)
SLM
T96 = LAMP,FRONT FOG FRT FOG LP(T96)
TR3 = GRILLE RADIATOR, BODY COLOR, W/CHROME EMBLEM BODY COLOR GRILLE W/CHROME EMB(TR3)
UB0 = RADIO AM/FM STEREO,SEEK/SCAN,CD,AUTO TONE,DATA RAD STEREO W/CD & DATA RAD(UB0)
UQ3 = SPEAKER SYSTEM,PERFORMANCE ENHANCED AUDIO ENHANCED SPKR SYS(UQ3)
V73 = VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)
VB3 = BUMPER,REAR STEP,INCLUDES IMPACT STRIP(CHROME) CHROME STEP BPR(VB3)
VG3 = STRIP,FRONT BUMPER IMPACT FRT BPR IMP STR(VG3)
VR4 = TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM) EQLZR HITCH(VR4)
VXS
X88 = CONVERSION CHEVROLET CHEVROLET(X88)
XVM = TIRE FRONT P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS TIRE(XVM)
YD3 = AXLE FRONT (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE FRT AXLE(YD3)
YD6 = SPRING,REAR(BASE EQUIPMENT) RR SPRING(YD6)
YE9 = CONVENIENCE PKG COMFORT & DECOR LEVEL #3 COMFORT & CONVENIENCE PKG #3(YE9)
YVM = TIRE REAR P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL ALS TIRE(YVM)
Z82 = TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH) PROVISION FOR HD TRAILER EQUIP(Z82)
Z85 = CHASSIS PACKAGE,INCREASED CAPACITY CHAS PKG(Z85)
ZVL = TIRE SPARE P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL ALS SPARE TIRE(ZVL)
ZY1 = COLOR COMBINATION SOLID SOLID PAINT COMBO(ZY1)

kur4o
02-04-2016, 01:59 PM
VIN: 1GCEK19B65E281547

VIN Decode

1:U.S. BUILT
G:GENERAL MOTORS
G:ISUZU
C:CHEV TRUCK
E:GVWR RANGE 6001-7000 BRAKE SYSTEM - HYD CADILLAC COMMERCIAL BODY/CHASSIS
K1:FULL SIZE TRUCK 4X4, 1500 (1/2 TON)
9:EXTENDED CAB/EXTENDED VAN (COLORADO,CANYON,SIERRA, SILVERADO,ASTRO,SAFARI,EXPRESS,AND SAVANA)
B:ENG OPT - L33 DISPL(L) - 5.3 CYL - V8 FUEL SYS - SFI PROD IN - U.S.
6:CHECK DIGIT
5:2005 MODEL YEAR
E:PONTIAC MI
281547: PRODUCTION SEQUENCE
VIN: 1GCEK19B65E281547

RPO Codes

1SL = PACKAGE - OPTION 11 OPTION PACKAGE #11 OPTION PACKAGE #11 (1SL)
1SZ = PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ)
41U = EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (41U)
692 = TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, PEWTER (692)
69I = INTERIOR TRIM COLOR,MEDIUM BEIGE/VERY DARK PEWTER INTERIOR TRIM COLOR(69I)
6YH = COMPONENT FRT LH COMPTR SEL SUSP(6YH) SUSP(6YH)
7YH = COMPONENT FRT RH COMPTR SEL SUSP(7YH) SUSP(7YH)
A31 = WINDOW,ELECTRIC OPERATED,SIDE ELEC SI WDO(A31)
AG1 = ADJUSTER FRT ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL, DRIVER MULTI-DIRECTIONAL PWR D/SEAT ADJR(AG1)
AG2 = ADJUSTER PASS ST POWER, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL MULTI-DIRECTIONAL P/SEAT ADJR(AG2)
AJ1 = GLASS,DEEP TINT(REAR SIDE WINDOWS AND REAR DOOR WINDOW) DEEP TINTED GLS(AJ1)
AL0 = SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR INFL REST IND SENSOR(AL0)
AM7 = SEAT,REAR FOLDING RR FLDG ST(AM7)
AN3 = SEAT FRT, INDIVIDUAL/NON-BKT INDIVIDUAL FRT SEAT(AN3)
AU0 = LOCK CONTROL,REMOTE ENTRY(KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM) REMOTE ENTRY LK CONT(AU0)
AU3 = LOCK,SIDE DOOR,ELECTRIC ELEC S/D LK(AU3)
B30 = CARPET,FLOOR AND WHEELHOUSE FLR CPT(B30)
B32 = COVERING,FLOOR MATS,FRONT AUXILIARY FRT AUX FLR MATS(B32)
B33 = COVERING,FLOOR MATS,REAR AUXILIARY RR AUX FLR MATS(B33)
B71 = ORNAMENTATION,EXTERIOR,WHEEL OPENING MOLDING(COLOR) W/H MLDG(B71)
B85 = ORNAMENTATION,EXTERIOR,BELT REVEAL MOLDING BELT RVL MLDG(B85)
C49 = DEFOGGER,REAR WINDOW,ELECTRIC ELEC RR WDO DEFG(C49)
C7H = GVW RATING 6400 LBS 6400 GVWR(C7H)
CJ2 = HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2)
D07 = CONSOLE,FRONT COMPARTMENT FLOOR(CUSTOM) CUSTOM F/CMPT FLR CNSL(D07)
DF5 = MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,LT SENSITIVE,COMPASS,O/S TEMP DISPLAY I/S REARVIEW MIR W/COMPASS(DF5)
DK7 = CONSOLE ROOF INTERIOR,CUSTOM,COMPASS & OUTSIDE TEMP RF CNSL(DK7)
DL3 = MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED POWER FOLDING, TURN SIG IND, LT SENSITIVE, COLOR ELEC HEATED O/S MIR(DL3)
DT4 = ASH RECEPTACLE AND CIGARETTE LIGHTER ASH TRAY & C/LTR(DT4)
E63 = BODY EQUIPMENT,FLEETSIDE PICKUP BOX FLEETSIDE PUBX(E63)
EVA = TEST DVT, EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT EVAP EMISSIONS REQUIRED(EVA)
FE9 = FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION FED EMIS(FE9)
FK2 = ARM,TORSION BAR,SPRING ADJUST,LH TORS BAR SPR ADJ ARM(FK2)
FK3 = ARM,TORSION BAR,SPRING ADJUST,RH TORS BAR SPR ADJ ARM(FK3)
G80 = AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL(G80)
GMC = PLANT CODE PONTIAC, MI, GM T&B PONTIAC,MI GM T&B ASSEMBLY PLANT(GMC)
GU6 = AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6)
JF7 = BRAKE VAC POWER, 17" DISC/DRUM, W/RWAL, 6,400 LBS 6,400 LB VAC PWR BRK(JF7)
K34 = CRUISE CONTROL,AUTOMATIC,ELECTRONIC CRCONT(K34)
K47 = AIR CLEANER HIGH CAPACITY HI CAPACITY A/CL(K47)
KG3 = GENERATOR 145 AMP 145 AMP(KG3)
KNP = COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY HVY DUTY TRANS CLG SYS(KNP)
KUP = THROTTLE CONTROL VARIABLE SPEED (ELECTRONIC) ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL(KUP)
L33 = ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.3L, SFI, V8, ALUM, HO, GM 5.3B(L33)
M30 = TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 4 SPEED,4L60E,ELECTRONIC 4-SPD AUTO TRANS(M30)
NP5 = STEERING WHEEL,LEATHER WRAPPED LEATHER WRAPPED STRG WHL(NP5)
NP8 = TRANSFER CASE ACTIVE, TWO SPEED, PUSH BUTTON CONTROL TRANSFER CASE(NP8)
NT8 = EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 A TIER 2 A FED EMIS(NT8)
NZZ = PACKAGE,OFF ROAD SKID PLATE,SPORT SKID PLT PKG(NZZ)
P25 = WHEEL 17 X 7.5, ALUM, 5 SPOKE PREMIUM ALUM WHL(P25)
PDB
PDU
QJM = TIRE ALL P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL OOR TIRE(QJM)
R5C = TIRE BRAND ALL BRIDGESTONE BRIDGESTONE BRAND TIRE(RC5)
R9U
SAF = LOCK SPARE TIRE, HOIST SHAFT SPARE TIRE LOCK HOIST SHF(SAF)
SLM
T96 = LAMP,FRONT FOG FRT FOG LP(T96)
TR3 = GRILLE RADIATOR, BODY COLOR, W/CHROME EMBLEM BODY COLOR GRILLE W/CHROME EMB(TR3)
U2K = DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)
UC6 = RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, RDS, MULTIPLE COMPACT DISC, AUTO TONE CONTROL, CLOCK, ETR STEREO,RDS,MULTI CD,AUTO TONE,CLK(UC6)
UE1 = COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1)
UK3 = CONTROL STEERING WHEEL,ACCESSORY STEERING WHEEL ACSRY CONTROLS(UK3)
UQ7 = SPEAKER SYSTEM,BOSE,PREMIUM PERFORMANCE PREMIUM SPKR SYS,BOSE(UQ7)
V73 = VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)
VB3 = BUMPER,REAR STEP,INCLUDES IMPACT STRIP(CHROME) CHROME STEP BPR(VB3)
VG3 = STRIP,FRONT BUMPER IMPACT FRT BPR IMP STR(VG3)
VR4 = TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM) EQLZR HITCH(VR4)
VXS
X88 = CONVERSION CHEVROLET CHEVROLET(X88)
XJM = TIRE FRONT P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL OOR TIRE(XJM)
YD3 = AXLE FRONT (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE FRT AXLE(YD3)
YD6 = SPRING,REAR(BASE EQUIPMENT) RR SPRING(YD6)
YE9 = CONVENIENCE PKG COMFORT & DECOR LEVEL #3 COMFORT & CONVENIENCE PKG #3(YE9)
YJM = TIRE REAR P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL OOR TIRE(YJM)
Z71 = "OFF ROAD" CHASSIS PACKAGE 'OFF ROAD' CHAS PKG(Z71)
Z82 = TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH) PROVISION FOR HD TRAILER EQUIP(Z82)
ZJP = TIRE SPARE P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL OOR TIRE SPARE(ZJP)
ZY1 = COLOR COMBINATION SOLID SOLID PAINT COMBO(ZY1)

both vins use
MODULE, PWRT CONT (W/O CALN) (CODE YHKU, YHKS, YDNF, YDNH, YDPD, YDPF, YHZU, YHZW, YJCN, YJCP, 2723, 2724, YJFW, YJFX, YFYD, YFYF, YFYA, YFYC, YMKH, YKYY, YMWY, YMWZ, YMSZ, YMTA, YNBN, YHZS, YNBR, YNMX, ) (ACDelco #12602802) (YHTZ, YKYZ, YHZT) 2005-2007
with drive by wire option

dave w
02-04-2016, 06:43 PM
both vins use MODULE, PWRT CONT (W/O CALN) (CODE YHKU, YHKS, YDNF, YDNH, YDPD, YDPF, YHZU, YHZW, YJCN, YJCP, 2723, 2724, YJFW, YJFX, YFYD, YFYF, YFYA, YFYC, YMKH, YKYY, YMWY, YMWZ, YMSZ, YMTA, YNBN, YHZS, YNBR, YNMX, ) (ACDelco #12602802) (YHTZ, YKYZ, YHZT) 2005-2007
with drive by wire option

Thanks!:jfj:

dave w

buddrow
02-21-2016, 12:00 PM
I can never remember the odd ball 1 year minus one solenoid 4l60. LOL

93-94 Only, 95 only, 96-97~98, 99-up V6, 99-2005ish V8(Started implementing the ISS although sporadic in use until ~2008), 2008-EOL.

93-94- 1-piece case, TCC ON/OFF style, no MLPS
95-PWM TCC apply added, no MLPS
96-~2005- V6 had bolt on bellhousing, V8-1-pice case until 98(F-body/Y-body,99 for C/K/etc), MLPS added
2008-EOL - (some 2005-UP) ISS added, sometime during or after 2008 an Internal Mode switch was added replacing the MLPS

Buddrow

1project2many
02-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks for that summary!

I will add that our V8 van cutaways have one piece case until at least '05.

dave w
02-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Use L33 knock sensors.

The L33 Flash will have native knock sensor programming to match the L33 knock sensors.

dave w

I need to make a correction to the above comments: The L33 uses resonant knock sensors.:doh:

dave w

buddrow
02-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Thanks for that summary!

I will add that our V8 van cutaways have one piece case until at least '05.

Are you referring to the 4L80E? It remains a 1-piece case, probably until EOL. If you are referring to the 4L60E, then I'd like to see a 1-piece case in anything newer than 2002. :-)

Buddrow

1project2many
02-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Whoops! Yep... 80E.
Thanks for catching that.

buddrow
02-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Anytime. :-)

Buddrow