PDA

View Full Version : What next?

ScottMac1
11-29-2015, 04:15 AM
So I'm trying to put a tbi 350 in my 91 jeep yj. I have a tbi motor that supposedly came out of a 95 chevy 2500 suburban. The bad part is they totally destroyed the wire harness when they removed it. Should I try to find a harness out of a 2500 suburban or will any 5.7 wire harness work?(as long as it is from a tbi truck) I also need a computer for it. I'm running a turbo 350 transmission so i don't need the computer to control that. This is my first time doing this on anything computer controlled so it is a little confusing. I appreciate any advice/help you can give me.

Six_Shooter
11-29-2015, 04:51 AM
In your case I'd look for an '88 to '92 5.7 TBI harness. It will be a non-electronic trans for these years and be 95% compatible with what you have.

You will also need to grab the bracket that is mounted to the passenger side of the intake that holds the ESC module, and EGR vacuum solenoid, because the engine you have probably doesn't have these parts and they are needed for the older style ECM.

However, the newer ECM, used in '93 to '95 is a much more capable ECM, and if you were planning to get into actual tuning anyway, the trans controls can be disable. You will gain the much faster datalink that is so much better than the older slower datalink. A more updated ECM, that has more built in capabilities. Also through a couple patches you can add E-fan control to the ECM as well.

A third option is one of the TBI ECMs from Dynamic EFI, that are based on GM ECMs wil updated firmware and capabilities.

ScottMac1
11-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll probably look for the 88-92 harness, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. But just in case, how do you disable the transmission controls on the newer ecm's? Do you have to have special equipment or is it all done with a computer?

fastacton
11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
The disabling happens when flashing/burning the chip in the ECM. You do need some equipment and possibly adapters depending on which ECM you end up with and which way you want to go about doing it. You can also get myself or someone else here to build a harness and/or burn a chip for you.

ScottMac1
11-30-2015, 01:20 AM
I knew I came to the right place! Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can come up with here and get back to you. So when you build a harness, do you redo an old one or start from scratch? About how much do you charge to do that?

fastacton
12-09-2015, 07:38 AM
Sorry, it's been busy around here, so i haven't had much of a chance to get on the forum lately. I rework a factory harness to suit your needs and the cost is about $200 and up depending on exactly what's needed.