PDA

View Full Version : Hello

MecGen
11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I am a Gearhead from the Montreal area, I have been a licenced tech for almost 30 years now. I currently own a 1995 Mustang and a 1984 Monte Carlo SS, that are both modified and need of tuning. For my chevy - 383 - I am planing on running a hybrid TPI system (LTI intake) so I figure its a good place for me to learn to code a bit more.

I have to admit I am a little intimidated as I am very comfortable repairing modern electronics but never really sat down and wrote a tune or installed it then debugged it. This forum seems GM obd1 friendly, so I will give it a good read, any suggestions?

Thanks

1project2many
11-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Welcome!

It sounds like you have a good basis for a very nice project. If you are prepared to code your own calibration then you might find it reassuring to know that you don't actually have to know the coding, or programming, in the ecm in order to successfully build a calibration. The job of tuning the ecm is really no different from setting up an old carbureted car, it's just that there are more variables involved. If you can locate a calibration for a similar engine then you can generally massage the values enough to get your engine running. After that it's a matter of looking and listening to determine what the engine wants so it can run at its best. With the experience you have, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up the skills fairly easily.