PDA

View Full Version : New member

fjyeti
10-30-2015, 05:16 AM
Thanks for adding me. I have a 1984 motorhome with a 454 in it that I will be converting to tbi this winter. If that works out my 1978 dodge d200 with a 440 is next. I have owned/rebuilt a few small block suburbans with tbi so I am a little familiar with the system. My first question is, what year donor vehicle should i look for. My motorhome has a th400 trans and I dont know if the pcm from a later tbi can be used on a non electronic shift 3 speed. Thanks

fastacton
10-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Yes, there's no problem using a later ECM with a non-electronic transmission. For best drivability, you'll want to use a VSS adapter so the ECM will know when you're accelerating/cruising/slowing/stopped, but you can get away without it if you need to.

fjyeti
10-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I plan on using a vss sensor to help driveability. My motorhome is old enough that it doesn't need to be smog tested so I can do what ever I want to. Driveability/reliability are first followed by performance then mpg. I doubt I will see any improvement in mpg. I do expect better performance with air pump removal, headers, and tbi.