PDA

View Full Version : '93 gmc 5.7 into '71 Land Cruiser FJ40.

capnconch
10-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Hi Folks!
I swapped in a carbed 350 from a '73 Blazer back in '82, It runs ok could use some valve work but... Now I have a '93 GMC G20 conversion van with 5.7 TBI I bought which needs a lot of money spent (AC overhaul, window motors, dash lights kaput, stereo no go and very rusty undercarriage and body. I could spend a fortune. Or I can pull the TBI engine with 90,000 1 owner well maintained miles (runs great) and pop that in the Cruiser. Keeping my stock 3 speed tranny, I guess I'll need to add O2 sensor, fuel pump and am learning what else is needed. I love the TBI engines. But how it works is a mystery to me. So I'm looking for dependability, easy starting, increased fuel economy, automatic compensating fuel/air needs whether I'm at cruising at sea level or tackling the mining trails in the Colorado Rockies. Keeping the engine stock.
Jack

fastacton
10-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Welcome! TBI is a pretty simple and reliable system, so should work out good for you. If you don't want to build the harness yourself, there are options out there.

dave w
10-07-2015, 06:32 AM
The two biggest challenges in converting to TBI are:
Wire harness
Fuel delivery system with return

Feel free to ask what other members did for a fuel delivery system and harness on their TBI conversion.

dave w