PDA

View Full Version : Serial vs usb

mudbuggy
12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Why is there two styles of obd reader cords? Is it only for the ones that don't have the usb ports so they use the serial ports? Are the usb for use with computers without serial ports? Is there a difference in the capability of one over the other? I figured out what I did wrong with mine, I'm really embarrassed about it but I ordered the obd1 cord with the bare wires on the end, and I don't know what I was thinking but I had the wired taped into the serial port. Yea I know I'm a dumbas, but I guess I know now why I wasn't getting anything from the vehicles. In hind sight I guess I'm glad I didn't get any data either, hopefully it's a sign that I didn't mess anything up. I should have connected the dots when you guys were telling me to make sure I had the correct usb port for the obd cable in the 'my computer' section. At least its never boring around here!!! Thanks for your continuing support and bearing with my idiototic actions.

Six_Shooter
12-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Both cables have the same functionality, where it comes to communications between the ECM and the laptop.

The difference is simply like you suggest, laptop connectivity.

I have USB logging cables, that I use in vehicles.

I also have a serial ALDL cable that I made years ago, that I now use with my PC for my test bench, since I have a serial port on it.

EagleMark
12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
They are all serial. USB is converted to serial in computer. This has been a major issue since most laptops in last 5-6 years do not have sereial anymore. IIRC some USB did not have power either in the begining? Your cable should have come with CD and drivers too!
http://www.aldlcable.com/

mudbuggy
12-31-2011, 05:54 AM
My first cable I got off of the internet, I got it for 10 bucks and came with nothing else. I only had the vehicle side connection, the other end was just a few wires, nothing else. I since then have learned what I ordered, and corrected my mistake and ordered a usb cable. That cable is to get here hopefully Monday. I hope!!! Until then I am back where I have been for months, but I also have learned a few more things since then.

EagleMark
12-31-2011, 07:54 AM
If we all look back we could start a good thread with silly things we have done? Gives you time to play with TunerPro till then. Have you ever played back a data log? I'll post one for you. Acqusition, Load Log file... then Aqusition Play. Or right click on tool bar and check all of them and get used to the buttons! Much easier!

mudbuggy
12-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Nope sure haven't but I am game to try!!!

Stupid thing was that I was trying to stick the wires into the serial port of the older laptop thinking to myself 'how in the hell are these guys driving, logging, holding wires, and what happens if they have to shift!'

So I can aquire this file right from the internet to tunerpro rt?

mudbuggy
12-31-2011, 08:10 AM
So what bin and XDF do I use for that file? It plays, but the only thing that happens is the timer on the bottom center runs, that's it?

EagleMark
12-31-2011, 08:25 AM
$42-1227747-V3.adx .xdf and it's a secret bin file!!! OK so it's ASDU I did some work on...
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

mudbuggy
12-31-2011, 09:11 AM
So what is the V3.adx.xdf? What is the ASDU and what do I do with it? If I put it in the wrong spot what will happen?

I am still working on it, 16 hour day installing a floor in a fire truck and my mind won't stop! My body is dead tired.

OK I've seen the ASDU file before, I think in the file Dave W sent me, I'm going to try and use that for the ? I have added a picture of what I have so far, I've got a few ideas, mostly something in that file that Dave sent me months ago, I'm going to look there, I don't understand how to look for this stuff. Is this how you screw with the new guys??? lol

I did a few things and I don't know if they are right or not, I don't think they are. I can play the datalog from the top center keys, after I loaded the second file I go different graphs up, but I don't have any dash guages or anything to look at other then the bar sliding slowly to the right and the time stamp at the bottom middle of the screen.

P.S. I can't wait til I have a new guy to mess with!!!

mudbuggy
12-31-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm out of ideas, don't know what to do or how to do what I am to do next. I did find the dash and guages, don't know how to show anything on them either. I'm guessing that when I get the correct programs added to tunerpro rt then the guages will work? I think I even tryed to add pictures to the .bin, which that didn't work either!

EagleMark
12-31-2011, 06:36 PM
No one is messing with you on purpose! Just don't know where everyone is at :thumbsup:

I've done some how toos but looks like we need a starter how too...

Well with TunerPro you have to load a few things, your bin/chip/ASDU.bin.

Then you need the mask (xdf) to read the bin in english, not hex, $42-1227727-V3.xdf.

Then you need the file for data/scanner (adx) file for the bin/chip/ECM which is the $43-1227727-V3.adx.

The data logged I posted is saved in a file with .xdl at end and can be named anything...

Well there is a slight learning curve. May as well start by having a folder with origanals and a set of duplicates to fall back on because you can change your bin, adx and xdf the way you want. You can also mess them up...

CHIP: TunerPro, File Open Bin. Now your bin is loaded in TunerPro.

MASK: TunerPro still open, XDF, select your xdf, now your mask is loaded in TunerPro. You can now make changes to your Chip/bin file.

SCANNER: TunerPro still open, Acqusision, Load Definition file. Now your aqusition file is loaded in TunerPro. You can now record data from car. Or play back a data log if you do next step.

DATA LOG: TunerPro still open, Acqusision, Load Log file.

Here's some more so you don't have to do this each time you close and open TunerPro.

Tools, Preferences, Genera,l check the box to load your last xdf and bin at startup... I have everything on left side checked, right side your choice, I would leave default for now, then over to Data aqusistion and Emulation and check load last adx at start up. Now you will have your files ready each time you open. Also if you make a change and forget to save it will remind you if you close it. Maybe you were playing and do not want to save?

I also tell guys to right click on tool bar and check all toolbars! Get used to the buttons, they are the same as going through the menu items.

There's a start! HTH!

You should now be able to play with, change, improve or mess up anything! :rockon:

mudbuggy
12-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok so I need to find and load not 1 file but 3 differrent files?

Chip? what is this? What does it do? what are the common tails of it?

mask? what is this? what does it do? what are the common tails of it?(.???)

scanner? what is this? What does it do? What are the common tails of it? (.???)

There were only two file in the link you posted, with those two files and the data log is that what I was suppose to use?

I think you guys are taking an awful lot of assuming on me, I'm up on the terminalogy of it all. I thought that the files were readily there all I needed to do was to give them to tunerpro rt and the program did the rest.

I removed everything that I thought was wrong and kept the data log. Is this right? I never could trust silicone!

I guess that I don't understand where to locate and/or how to determine what is a bin or a mask (I don't even know if I'm calling it by the right names.) I need 2 more files before I can hit play and see something happen right?

EagleMark
12-31-2011, 10:30 PM
I was afraid my breif description might not be enough. I remeber the same quaestions when I started so I used it and added more information to a TunerPro Starter Tutorial which gives a little more description of file extensions xdf, adx, bin and xdl and how each file works. This thread should answer those questions and bring you up to operating level!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read

After you read this it should start to come together! :thumbsup:

historystamp
12-31-2011, 11:18 PM
scanner? what is this? What does it do? What are the common tails of it? (.???)

TurnerPro RT is a great program, but there is a high learning curve.

What is scanning?
This is reading your current car data: rpm, battery voltage, coolant temperature. I get 82 values.

You can buy a hardware scanner called a scan tool. There $300 over at sears.
I suggest you get started with scanning.

Turning is changing the values on your car's ecm. When you tune, your going to need to know how to scan so you can see the results of a tune.

Here is a quick overview of scanning:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?420-Micro-mini-startup-Guide-for-Beginners

In my scanner definition file, .adx, neither the dashboard nor the monitor was setup. This is left to you to "do your own thing!"

In this thread, I include a zip file of both the ADX file and the ADL log file.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?448-1993-Corsica-2.2-liter-Stalling-when-cold

Here is how I configured my monitor file:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=1305&d=1325362890

mudbuggy
01-01-2012, 09:53 AM
ok after the description (detailed) that you gave I am guessing that the log that you posted is to go in the 3rd position, the v3 thing is to go in the first position, and I, as of yet, have to figure out which file goes in the 1st position. I do remember fromt he conversation that Dave and I had (now 6 months ago) that the 1st postion is the type of computer and the 4 letter code from the computer. How do I figure out (from the information that was given in this thread) what the 4 letter code is and the 3 digits on the computer are? Is there someplace in the mask that I am to look?

EagleMark
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
HistoryStamp, something did not work correctly with your picture? It's a red x?

MudBuggy. There are three things/files you need in TP for your ECM in order below. The forth is Data Log. It is something you create from your engine because of the files you loaded into TunerPro. Actually you can create a data log with just the ADX. But to make changes in your chip you need to change the file burned into the chip called the "BIN file, extension .bin" The mask/XDF is like a program so you can do so in relatively English, not looking for and changing hex. This is what a bin file looks like on a chip.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=1308&d=1325428075

Where in there would you increase idle? Now there are guys here that know how to do this but still use TunerPro because it simplifies the changes.

CHIP: .bin extension. This is the ASDU.bin TunerPro, File, Open Bin. Choose your bin you downloaded and saved. Now your bin is loaded in TunerPro.

MASK: .xdf file extension. This is $42-1227747-V3.XDF TunerPro still open, XDF, select your xdf you downloaded and saved, now your mask is loaded in TunerPro. You can now make changes to your chip/bin file.

SCANNER: .adx file extension. This is $42-1227747-V3.ADX TunerPro still open, Acquisition, Load Definition file you downloaded and saved . Now your acquisition file is loaded in TunerPro. You can now record data from car. Or play back a data log if you do next step.

DATA LOG: .xdl file extension. This is the file with XDL TunerPro still open, Acquisition, Load Log file.

You may be confusing a couple files I have a lot of work into and the ended up at Version 3 (V3) the name could be simply $42.xdf this is the mask number for that ECM. 1227727 is the ECM number. Hence the ending name I gave it $42-1227747-V3 there is an ADX and XDF. I named them specifically the same because they also have a lot of work in them together with a feature of TunerPro called data Tracing...

OK with tunerPro open go to File, Open BIN. "BIN"
Then, XDF, Choose "XDF"
Then, Acquisition, Load Definition File. "ADX"
Then, Acquisition, Load Log File, "XDL"

mudbuggy
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Holy shit! I got it. I didn't have the .adx file loaded in. Good shit. Now what? Why is the knock count low in the idle area but higher in the midrange? I have other questions but they slip my mind right now. Yea I got it. I can't imagine how long it took for the first person to figure out how many programs it took to see something happen. Thanks Mark

From my point of view, and for the tutorial, it might be easier to list the 3 or 4 programs for an example of a vehicle for people to use. Tell them exactly which programs they need to load. I know that I can read a manual and understand the pricipals and theroys, but not comprehend the practical application of the manual. So I needed the 'babysitting' to connect the manual and the real world. But that's just me, but I'm willing to bet there are more people out there like me

EagleMark
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
:laugh:

When you calm down a bit we will talk...

At least now you can play a data log, look at dashboards, monitors are a much better tuning tool, Item lists also show data and switches. While your playing back the data log find the Enable Data Tracing button and click it. Then go over to the bin/xdf side in tables and look for the VE fuel table and open it! You will see a little bubble dancing around showing you where you are in data log, in chip! This really helps to know where to tune...

It took me a long time too, but now I don't know how to write a beginner how too, so you are teaching me! :thumbsup:

mudbuggy
01-02-2012, 04:20 AM
It took me a long time too, but now I don't know how to write a beginner how too, so you are teaching me! :thumbsup:

- ok, if you say so!!!

So if I would change any numbers in the graphs would it make a difference after the playback or does that reflect the playback at all? no?

I can't check the numbers that I change until I insert the changes into the vehicles computer? yea?

So what do you want to talk about?

EagleMark
01-02-2012, 07:10 AM
If your talking about changes on the left side to the bin file? No you will not see any changes in the data log. But you use the numbers in data log to change numbers in bin, then burn new chip and record another data log to see changes. Look at the dashboards, right click on one and you can change what it reads... right click on monitor and you can add things or subtract things... watch data in item lists, you can change those lists any way you want them, Acqusistion, Edit definition then open the Item lost views and play with that...

Look around on left side, find the VE table and change a number..., you have backups right? See if you can find how to change desired idle speed on left side in bin...