PDA

View Full Version : LT1 ECM 16188051 repair source?

EDZIP
06-10-2015, 11:10 PM
Read, copied and changed the bin, then while programming the ECM & half way through...got the error communicating message, it did attempt again to install the bin but failed. Let it set for about 15 minutes...no luck communicating.

It's a backup ecm but would like to get it repaired..any recommendations?

Thanks

jthompson122183
06-11-2015, 01:31 AM
This is how its done http://www.goldsswagon.com/PCMFlash/HowtofixthePCMFlashMemory.htm

EDZIP
06-11-2015, 04:34 AM
This is how its done http://www.goldsswagon.com/PCMFlash/HowtofixthePCMFlashMemory.htm

THANKS again...looking forward to trying this! I bought a soldering station a few months ago...now I get to use it!

EDZIP
06-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Anyone here have the equipment to flash a 32 pin prom?

sturgillbd
06-12-2015, 04:49 AM
I do but I don't know if I have the proper adapter for the chip in the 8051. Look at the Willem programmers on ebay. I bought one for about $50 and they have several different adapters for various chips. Have you socketed your PCM yet? I have a Willem PCB50B. It uses a parallel port for the interface so you have to have a PC with a parallel port. Parallel printers are a thing of the past now. If you can tell me what chip you are trying to program, I may be able to program them for you. My LT1 transplant is going to be a future project so I haven't looked at what I am going to need yet.

Brian

steveo
06-12-2015, 05:24 AM
i have the gear and would happily flash them for you, but im really far away from you. for the cost of mailing them back and forth, you can almost buy a programmer.

EDZIP
06-12-2015, 06:29 AM
I do but I don't know if I have the proper adapter for the chip in the 8051. Look at the Willem programmers on ebay. I bought one for about $50 and they have several different adapters for various chips. Have you socketed your PCM yet? I have a Willem PCB50B. It uses a parallel port for the interface so you have to have a PC with a parallel port. Parallel printers are a thing of the past now. If you can tell me what chip you are trying to program, I may be able to program them for you. My LT1 transplant is going to be a future project so I haven't looked at what I am going to need yet.

Brian

Brian

Just want to try it converting the PCM with the PLCC 32 Pin IC DIP Connector and 32 pin chips AN28F512 and AM29F040B. The latter is used in Ford applications.

Waiting for the PLCC 32 Pin IC DIP Connectors to arrive...bought extras if you might need a couple in the future to try. FYI: Tuner Cat will repair the PCM for $25 plus shipping - but just want to experiment.

Spotted those programmers on eBay and may still order one...need to research a bit more.

EDZIP
06-12-2015, 06:31 AM
i have the gear and would happily flash them for you, but im really far away from you. for the cost of mailing them back and forth, you can almost buy a programmer.

Thanks for the offer...not a big deal...just want to see if I can do it...may ask for some guidance>

Ed

EDZIP
06-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Update: Installed the EPROM socket and flashed the chip..still get:

ERROR Unable to communicate with PCM

Did give it a try! Oh Well

EDZIP
06-25-2015, 03:12 AM
BTW: If anyone has a bricked 16188051 and would like to try installing a EPROM DIP connector let me know I have extras.

kur4o
06-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Try flashing this bins.
They are split for e and t side.

Before programming the chips make sure you erase them.
After the write is complete, test read them and make comparison.

If the chips are flashed correctly and there is still no communication, there is a chance you flipped them, or there is a bad solder. Double check all the solders with magnifying glass to be sure.
Stoch chips are very durable and should last 100000 write erase cycles.

Can I ask you what programmer you`re using and what type of chips.

Also t side is responsible for communication. You can still manage to connect with blank eside chip, but the engine won`t run.

EDZIP
06-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Try flashing this bins.
They are split for e and t side.

Before programming the chips make sure you erase them.
After the write is complete, test read them and make comparison.

If the chips are flashed correctly and there is still no communication, there is a chance you flipped them, or there is a bad solder. Double check all the solders with magnifying glass to be sure.
Stoch chips are very durable and should last 100000 write erase cycles.

Can I ask you what programmer you`re using and what type of chips.

Also t side is responsible for communication. You can still manage to connect with blank eside chip, but the engine won`t run.

kur40

Thanks for the encouragement...might still be hope!

The chip in PCM is the FLASH AN28F512, I also have a couple AM29F040B,,,been flashing them on a Mini Pro TL866CS. Have a Moates Burn 2..but the chips aren't supported.

Will try your bins and double check the positioning. Soldering is OK verified by a test light.

COULD you explain which is the T side? The eprom has one flat corner and appears to insert only one way?

kur4o
06-25-2015, 11:12 PM
This Pcm has two flash chips. One on each of the circuit boards. They are AN28F512 Intel chips.
You need to flash bin1 on the chip that goes on T-side circuit board and bin2 on the chip that goes on E-side circuit board.
You need to identify which chip goes where by trial and error or find pictures to identify sides.
If you flip chips Pcm will not fry so don`t worry.

EDZIP
06-26-2015, 01:33 AM
This Pcm has two flash chips. One on each of the circuit boards. They are AN28F512 Intel chips.
You need to flash bin1 on the chip that goes on T-side circuit board and bin2 on the chip that goes on E-side circuit board.
You need to identify which chip goes where by trial and error or find pictures to identify sides.
If you flip chips Pcm will not fry so don`t worry.

Well that's my problem..I was only half done:-)

My grandson just arrived for the weekend so may be a bit before I get to the other side. BTW when I attempted to program either of your BINs got a message something along the lines that the parameters were not correct....but I'll try again when I have more time.

Thanks for getting me back on track.

kur4o
06-26-2015, 09:31 AM
The full bin is 128 kb size. It is used in tunerpo and tunercat that way.
Each chip contains half of the full bin.
Bin1 is first half (64kb size), bin2 is second half (64kb size).
I guess there is a problem with the bin size not set correctly in the programmer.

EDZIP
06-28-2015, 04:03 PM
kur40

Looking at the blue/gray board and the picture of the 32 legs..it appears that of the top -7- legs and from left to right #3 and #7 are dead end? They don't appear to be connected to any circuits?

kur4o
06-28-2015, 06:19 PM
You are right, these are not connected internally.
Here is the pinout of the chip.

EDZIP
06-30-2015, 01:38 AM
Been trying various combinations today, even tried loading a stock 95 LT1 BIN on both proms (T&E)..still no communication with PCM. Can read another 16188051 that I have so I know that the hardware/cables are working.

Double checked and re-installed/soldered the sockets..still no communication. Burned the FLASH AN28F512 several times with my new Mini-Pro TL866CS. Attached copies from the chips. Tried positioning the chips in various positions (up/down) within the socket. Been attempting the read/programming with both E&T boards not installed inside the aluminum covers if that makes a difference.

Do the bins look OK?

lionelhutz
06-30-2015, 02:55 AM
Those seem to add up to a good bin. At least the tables and such I looked at seemed OK.

Did you read them from the chips or is that what you're trying to program? If that's what you're trying to program then program it and then compare the chip to the buffer to ensure both have the same data. One thing that has tripped me up before is loading 00 vs FF for the blank memory locations. I can't recall on this one which way to go.

EDZIP
06-30-2015, 03:46 AM
The data is from the chips, ie erased them, burnt them, installed them in the PCM, didn't communicate, so I removed and read them as attached. Have a feeling it's something to do with the programming format.

lionelhutz
06-30-2015, 06:28 AM
I'm not seeing a problem with the bin files. I looked at another file and it appears that 00 is used as the filler and you've got that right so I've got nothing to suggest except look at your soldering work again.

EDZIP
07-01-2015, 12:07 AM
The good news is that I was able to program the extra 16188051 that I have..so I'll be able to finish my LT1 conversion. Have a couple of new FLASH AN28F512 proms en route and will give them a try.

camaroguy50613
08-06-2015, 08:09 PM
so do you have to burn the new chips prior to installing them into the ecu before you can go back to using tunercats?

EDZIP
08-06-2015, 10:39 PM
so do you have to burn the new chips prior to installing them into the ecu before you can go back to using tunercats?

Yes sir...burn them outside the pcm then install them so Tunercats can recognize the pcm to start a full flash.

camaroguy50613
08-06-2015, 10:50 PM
ugh that doesnt sound fun... :/

EDZIP
08-17-2015, 07:06 PM

Revisted this site...if I'm correct he only removed and flashed "one" chip on the BLUE/GRAY side board? He doen't even discuss the other board on the BLK/RED side.

Anyone actually done this repair? Looks like only one eprom needs to be removed, flashed and reinstalled??????????

bigtoyz
08-21-2015, 06:57 PM
I have 97 OBD2 so don't know if it makes a difference. But the Eside (black connector side) on mine is the 28F512 and takes the 64k bin and on the T side (blue connector side) is a 28F010 150 and takes a 128k bin. And you are using a TL 866cs programmer and getting that to work? Wow mine is giving me errors.

I've been talking to CATS and im going to get a pocket tuner from transtronics... little spendy but is what they use and suggest so its the route im going. Better than buying more programmers that don't know if they work and trans units are known to work but 270 bucks but then I'm done buying others that may not work.

EDZIP
08-21-2015, 10:51 PM
I have 97 OBD2 so don't know if it makes a difference. But the Eside (black connector side) on mine is the 28F512 and takes the 64k bin and on the T side (blue connector side) is a 28F010 150 and takes a 128k bin. And you are using a TL 866cs programmer and getting that to work? Wow mine is giving me errors.

I've been talking to CATS and im going to get a pocket tuner from transtronics... little spendy but is what they use and suggest so its the route im going. Better than buying more programmers that don't know if they work and trans units are known to work but 270 bucks but then I'm done buying others that may not work.

Love the TL 866CS programmer..it was about $42 shipped on eBay. Finally got my 16188051 up and running after flashing the AN28F512 chips. My recent post:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1160-64K-bootable-image-for-95-LT1-PCM

EDZIP
08-21-2015, 11:33 PM

bigtoyz

Just remembered that the 32 pin adapter only works if I put in a spacer..must be that the 28F512 sets to low in the adapter.

Before soldering the PLCC 32 Pin IC DIP Connector you need to remove the center so you can reach the contacts. That same center you remove and must replace after soldering works great while flashing using the TL866CS with 32 pin adapter. One I did that..no more errors..hope pic helps.

bigtoyz
08-21-2015, 11:37 PM
I had an old chip and was able to read that and able to bin file on either chip and worked. Just when I tried to put GM calibration from couple sources that it errors out.

EDZIP
08-31-2015, 06:07 AM
I had an old chip and was able to read that and able to bin file on either chip and worked. Just when I tried to put GM calibration from couple sources that it errors out.

Update...

FYI to anyone following this thread we got the TL 866CS to flash both chips for bigtoyz.

bigtoyz
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah that is quite confusing why yours did it and mine wouldn't till I was able to read the chips then I could write to them
once I pulled the files off the chips. But I think I'm going to invest into the programmer that's CATS use and suggest
just in case something comes up. I put it out there on few sites I'm on. If anyone needs help that their old chips
are still use able. Just send them to me to reflash them. I've worked out a deal with CATS for factory stock bins for 96-97 LT1 bin files with your VIN.

I was lead to believe once pcm was bricked chips were shot. Had I known that isn't true. I would have had about 12 sets laying around. Just need to erase them and reload the files. 28F512 chips are the harder ones to find and more expensive ones. I paid same amount for 5 of the 28F512 as I did of 60 of the 28F010 150's and yes there are 2 speeds of chips 120's and 96-97 use the 150's

Patrick

EyesofThunder
09-24-2015, 03:31 AM
Personally I have spent sooo much time fussing with the LT1 PCM, they aren't worth it. But alas, I keep on....

Doing 3 PCM's tonight....

I have tons of sockets if someone is trying to socket their PCM. I bought a few hundred 10 years ago and used 6 or so of them since!

midnite magic
10-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Personally I have spent sooo much time fussing with the LT1 PCM, they aren't worth it. But alas, I keep on....

Doing 3 PCM's tonight....

I have tons of sockets if someone is trying to socket their PCM. I bought a few hundred 10 years ago and used 6 or so of them since!

what programmer are you using? want to sell some PLCC-32 sockets?

bigtoyz
10-26-2015, 08:18 PM
He uses the TL 866CS and works good for him, I did get mine to work when He sent them back to me and I pull the files off and I can do other chips also. But Im going to a different programmer when I get the $270 saved up so I don't have issues of doing RAW data.

But do you the data put on the chips? If he doesn't respond, I have some chips and how many pairs do you need? PM him cause I don't want to take away business from him and if he doesn't I have his email or I can sell you what you need.

my email is bigtoyz@itctel.com if you need his email, I'm not going to post his with out knowing if he wants it out there or not.

bigtoyz
10-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Aw never mind read your post wrong....sockets not chips....yesterday was a rough day.

johnny_b
11-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Can anyone give me some type of procedure for flashing the chips with the minipro tl866? I just purchased one after socketing my pcm. I have both of the bootable images needed to flash to the chips, but every time i try i get "ERROR! Address: 0x000100 Buffer data: 0x18 Verify: 0x00"

EDZIP
11-06-2015, 03:09 AM
Can anyone give me some type of procedure for flashing the chips with the minipro tl866? I just purchased one after socketing my pcm. I have both of the bootable images needed to flash to the chips, but every time i try i get "ERROR! Address: 0x000100 Buffer data: 0x18 Verify: 0x00"

Make sure your look at post #29 of this thread.

bigtoyz
11-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Do a search on you tube and it kind of walks it through it. It works for Ed as you've read and I have same issues as you do. Ed is a great guy maybe he will do for you what he did for me. Send him your chips and the files for each side. And once you get them back I bet you will be able to read them and burn them. And once you pull a copy off save them as your master copy. And they are reusable so DON'T throw them away. You can erase them and make them full usable again. If you need a second set I have a pair if Ed doesn't want to sell a set. That way you can have a back up ready if needed, and them just reload them with master set.

once your done with your tune you can just slip them back in the programmer and keep a recent copy of what you've done.

johnny_b
11-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks bigtoyz, Ed was actually able to solve my problem. I used a spacer in the minipro socket as he suggested and it worked like a charm, no more error messages!

wiwwe88
01-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Hi!

Old thread but... does anybody have those files which go to E side and T side? i have corrupted buick roadmaster ´95 LT1 sedan, i cannot get connection between laptop and ecm and i don't know what program i should flash to the E side and T side. I have that original .bin file from ecm.

littlebit frustrating.......

I'm from Finland and my English is littlebit rust, sorry for that :laugh:

kur4o
01-25-2020, 11:00 PM
Hi!

Old thread but... does anybody have those files which go to E side and T side? i have corrupted buick roadmaster ´95 LT1 sedan, i cannot get connection between laptop and ecm and i don't know what program i should flash to the E side and T side. I have that original .bin file from ecm.

littlebit frustrating.......

I'm from Finland and my English is littlebit rust, sorry for that :laugh:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1160-64K-bootable-image-for-95-LT1-PCM

They are posted in this thread. To easy identify which side is which. On eside there is one big chip labelled d84g. On tside there is the knock module. Or connectors color blue/grey tside; red/black eside.

yoheer
04-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Hey guyz
I'm gonna burn the chips with tl866 II plus
Can't find an28f512 in list, only n28f512
Is it the same stuff?

steveo
04-28-2020, 04:23 PM
i think the only difference is the AN is the automotive verision with a higher temperature range. i'm sure the other one will be okay. if you're really careful de-soldering the old chips you can just re-use those too

yoheer
04-28-2020, 04:47 PM
I mean i cant find this chip in my programmer software . There is one without letter A only

steveo
04-29-2020, 05:38 AM
it's the same

yoheer
05-05-2020, 09:22 PM
Hi
I wanted to know if fleetwood or impala knock module fits f-body?
There are 2 knock sensors in fleet/impala and just one in camaro.
Dunno if the knock module part numbers are the same.

steveo
05-05-2020, 10:01 PM
its different

yoheer
05-05-2020, 10:52 PM
Will it work in the right way or i need to install right knock module?

steveo
05-06-2020, 04:12 AM
you will want the right module, way easier to deal with i think the fbody module has a bit less false knock with aluminum heads too

yoheer
08-17-2021, 01:28 AM
Hi guyz
I've got a problem with my pcm. It wont connect to my pc via obd. I've tried my spare pcm and it's okay, so it's not wiring.
I figured out that serial data pin is number 30 in blue connector.
Smd with dot marker seems to be a resistor. But Im not sure. It is 2.5 kOmhs. 30 pin goes to ground through this smd component.
Also 30 pin traces to that chip behind eprom. You can see the point where it goes on a pic. I dunno what is this chip.

So can anybody help me to make my pcm alive.
What should i check? Any info would be helpful.

yoheer
08-17-2021, 07:22 PM
Bad soldering.
Resoldered some points and thats it.
Fixed