PDA

View Full Version : Getting TPV5 to work with 7747

jim_in_dorris
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok, hopefully this is the correct place for this. I have an 87 V10 305 700R4 with 3.73 gears. I use winaldl and TPV4 to log, and am trying to get TPV5 to work on my truck. I am using the xdf and adx I downloaded from this site, and an ADHC bin. Since everything works in winaldl and TPV4, I am certain that I am doing things correctly. The xdf I am using with TPV4 is also the xdf I downloaded from here. I also have checked the settings to make sure that the serial port is the same as TPV4 and winaldl.

EagleMark
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
I've had that issue when using WinALDL, then I could not hook up to TunerProV5? I had to close all programs and restart computer, then plug in cable and open TP. Now I don't remember this happening with WinALDL but with TPV5 sometimes my Com3-4 is on right side USB port and sometimes on my left USB post? Why the change I don't know but they do.

Also can check settings for cable under Tools, Preferences and then Data Acqusition. Mose pointer is to cennection button when ready to connect to vehicle.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/attachment.php?attachmentid=1277&d=1325170906

jim_in_dorris
12-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Did all that. I even tried adding listen for silence and listen for packet commands. My usb to serial converter is on COM1.

gregs78cam
12-30-2011, 03:38 AM
I see on TP website that there are different XDF for V4 and V5 for 9 gm mask ID. Does the V4 .xdf work in V5? I don't think I have tried that out.

EagleMark
12-30-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm pretty sure he has my $42 files from here and I know they are good, his truck should be 1227747 or 161 equivilent... he's just not getting TPV5 connected to vehicle... I hate to say this but I finally installed WinALDL because of this... it's like it took complete control of the COM port and cable and would not share... uninstalled it, restarted laptop with cable plugged in and TunerPro found it! Was easy to give up once I found TP can do all it did and so much more.

Did all that. I even tried adding listen for silence and listen for packet commands. My usb to serial converter is on COM1.Really no need for that if you got the $42-1227747-V3.adx and xdf those are solid as is! Those are not starter files, those have many, many hours of my time into them!

Not sure if TP likes COM 1 ? See if you can change to Com 3... but once you get hooked up to TP if you ever open WinALDL again it's a hostel takeover!

jim_in_dorris
12-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Yeah, I usually try tpV5 as soon as I boot up. I will try changing the port to 3 and see if that helps. It's easy to change the port in device manager, so no problem there.

EagleMark
12-30-2011, 05:21 AM
I think that may do it, your cable works so you must have the right drivers installed... it's not uncommon this issue when starting with TP after using WinALDL.

Then after com change, restart, plug in cable and should hear alert, I do, then open TP and can use the test interface, or just connect to car... if no go try another USB port. Don't know why but mine is sometimes on right side, sometimes on left side?

historystamp
01-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Running Windows 7. We had an issue with TurnerPro RT not finding com port. Looked in device manager and saw com port 1 in use. Might need to got down advanced path. No programs running that used com ports. Could not figure out why. Rebooted etc.

We deleted all usb drivers including hidden except for flash drives. Plugged in cable and ran Turnpro RT. Worked.

http://www.petri.co.il/removing-old-drivers-from-vista-and-windows7.htm

Robert

jim_in_dorris
01-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Well, I just got done fighting with TPV5 again. This is frustrating. I switched to com 3, both is device manager and TPV5. no connect. error on com3 in device manager. (win XP) Switched to com 1, TPV4 works, no error in device manager. Switch to com 4 both device manager and TPV5. no connect. go back and try test connection button in preferences and it says cable not found. Here is what is strange. I switch just TPV5 to com 3, leaving device manager at com4, then use the test connection button in preferences and it says cable found and good!!! How can that be?

EagleMark
01-01-2012, 03:25 AM
You are at a frustrating point where many have been including myself. What was said above on removing all USB drivers I did not have to do, but did remove all USB from device manager, restarting computer and let it install what it needs for what it has, then plug in cable was my cure as well...

Why does test comunication give a false positive? Don't know but did that before as well...

You did install all FTDI drivers correct?

jim_in_dorris
01-01-2012, 03:28 AM
FTDI drivers?

EagleMark
01-01-2012, 05:52 AM
The cable you got should have come with installation CD and the FDTI drivers (software)... but you must have them if it was working with other software? This is a common problem with all cables Moates already did a few articles. There are 2 before the last one which removes all USB drivers, then reinstall your cable... so read on... I removed all my USB devices without the driver cleaner, restarted my computer and it installed everything needed for USB hub and ports on my laptop but I was hooked up to internet/wireless, then plugged in cable and it installed itself but I had already loaded the drivers. They are available at the links below.

I really don't know why TPV5 is so hard to get to once you have used your cable with other software? I wish I knew an exact cause an answer for you...

http://support.moates.net/2009/02/10/usb-driver-troubleshooting-101/

http://support.moates.net/2009/02/10/troubleshooting-usb-driver-installation/

http://support.moates.net/2009/02/10/usb-drivers-ftclean/

jim_in_dorris
01-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Okay, I uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled with latest drivers from the internet. I finally figured out why I could not get my laptop to use COM 3 for the USB to Serial converter. My built-in softmodem was using com 3. I changed it to com 2, then changed my converter to COM 3. I changed TPV4, TPV5 and winaldl to com 3. After a reboot, winaldl connected. I exited winaldl and rebooted my laptop and tried TPV4. It connect and worked fine. I then tried TPV5. Still no love.
This is getting frustrating. My position as a software developer (I wrote device drives for serial devices) is that it has to be TPV5 as TPV4 works fine. I know that Mangus insists that TPV4 and V5 share code, but something is different!

EagleMark
01-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I agree, but! If you would have done that and connected to TPV5 you would have been done. I don't know why but when you use WinALDL and then try TPV5 you are screwed? Your a software writer and so is Mangus. It's beyound me, all I can tell you is you and I and so many others can not use WinALDL and TPV5! Get rid of it! You don't need it, TPV5 will do what WinALDL does and so much more. It is like a hostle takeover and TPV5 is left out! Why? I don't know...

jim_in_dorris
01-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I would get rid of winaldl in a heartbeat if TPV5 worked. I don't run winaldl and then try tpV5 in the same session, always a reboot between them.

EagleMark
01-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't see anyone jumping in here with an answer? But that is what I had to do. It has also been a cure for many others... but it may take all you did above, again, after removing WinALDL... really it should not happen! Right? There's no reason! But you and I are not the only ones. As a matter of fact I would like to know if anyone is running WinALDL and TPV5 on same PC? Where they both work on USB?

JeepsAndGuns
01-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I don't see anyone jumping in here with an answer? But that is what I had to do. It has also been a cure for many others... but it may take all you did above, again, after removing WinALDL... really it should not happen! Right? There's no reason! But you and I are not the only ones. As a matter of fact I would like to know if anyone is running WinALDL and TPV5 on same PC? Where they both work on USB?

I still have winaldl on my laptop. Back when I first started (and running a 7747), I would datalog with winaldl, save the info, then make the needed changes with tunerpro rt V5.
I used the autoprom with the little switch on the back flipped for "pass through" mode. I would then flip the switch back after closing winaldl, and then open tpv5, make needed changes then burn a chip.
I only switched to datalogging with tpV5 when I discoved that you actually COULD datalog with tunerpro rt...lol
I am still a noob, but back then, I was a super uber noob.

jim_in_dorris
01-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Well, I installed the latest version of TPV5 from tunerpro.net, the V3 adx and xdf from here, and the bin on my son's laptop. It doesn't have WINALDL on it and never has. I took it out to my truck and hooked everything up. Sorry folks Casey struck out again..... My next purchase may be a cable from Moates.

EagleMark
01-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Well that sucks... :mad1:

What cable do you have?

jim_in_dorris
01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I have a homemade cable I have been using for a while. One of the 2 transistor circuits. It is the only thing I can think of. Perhaps the data levels are to ragged to be detected properly with TPV5, although that does seem to be unlikely. Have you used the ALDLCable.com cable, or do you use Moates?

EagleMark
01-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Both! Regular USB cable from ALDLcables.com and my AutoProm which is used more often, actually always. What I like about the AutoProm is flip a switch and when I start TunerPro it will find it when started, then flip the switch and it is pass through like a regular cable. If TP does not find it when I open it, I close TP and move to other USB port and open TP and it finds it. Consistently! I have three USB ports. But Com 3 will only change between 2 of the 3 USB ports on the laptop.

I got the regular cable to have a back up in case I drop the AutoProm again... :homer:

jim_in_dorris
01-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Well, I really want an autoprom, just can't afford it right now. I might be able to swing the ALDLcable though. I have 4 refurbished (old) computers I need to get sold, then I will have some spending money. I would like to also get a prom burner, but by the time I get all the things I need (want) I end up spending almost as much as an autoprom. If I go the super cheap route and get a wilheim burner, I can get started anyways. If I can get 25 tax returns in this season, I will buy the AutoProm.