PDA

View Full Version : Bought another car...

Six_Shooter
12-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Parts car that is...

1973 Datsun 240Z
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403831_10151066388365051_651865050_22087138_134488 7773_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407748_10151066388605051_651865050_22087139_196628 7152_n.jpg

It has some good parts, like the rear sway bar, that mine doesn't have, so I'll be keeping that. :D It looks like the front sway bar may be thicker than mine, it has a good set of wheels, the dash is in better condition than mine, a later 280Z engine, though it has the less desirable head, but has a header. I may pop the cam cover off and see if the cam has been swapped.
The guy I bought it from said it has a 5-speed tranny, so that would be a bonus.
The seats are near mint, and velvet, and black, so they will be replacing my ripped, vinyl, butterscotch coloured seats, post haste.
The shell is pretty much junk, but has good fenders. :confused:
It's a 240, and has what looked to be decent tail lights, which are desirable. It may have lowering springs, but noticed one of those "lift blocks" jammed into one of the rear springs, when we were loading it.
It has an aftermarket wheel, so I'll be keeping the adapter, but the foam on wheel itself is pretty bad. I might try recovering it and making a cover myself, since I kinda like what it looks like.

1project2many
12-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Nice find. Looks like it's not too rusty which is a big challenge around here. Some day I might try to build another Z. The rear bar wasn't factory intstalled in the 240. A previous owner must have taken it from a 280?? How did they mount it? Many, many years ago when I had mine I looked at putting a rear bar in but it wasn't a simple bolt in so I didn't try.

Six_Shooter
12-19-2011, 08:33 AM
The shell is junk. It has lots of rust and more improperly done "repairs." I might cut some of the sheet metal out though, since it may have at least one new quarter on it. I'm going to cut the roof off and save it, since it's in slightly better shape than mine is (damn Landau top!)

I'm only pulling parts off and then the rest is going for scrap. I'm gutting the doors, since they are complete, with what looked to be decent glass, but the metal itself is junk. The fenders will likely find their way onto my car though, since they are in good shape.

The engine and tranny will likely be saved for a while, at least until I swap out the L28 in my car for a different engine. This one could easily be a spare. I'll likely the sell the carbs off it though, they are the earlier side draft carbs, that were better than the down drafts a '73 would have had.

The rear sway bar is mounted to the rear uprights. I'll get some pictures.

EagleMark
12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Is that you on the trailer?

If anyone want's rust free cars there are a lot here in North Idaho, we don't use salt! To many lakes, trout, Kokanee and salmon... But they are not as nice as the one my buddy finds in AZ that have a lot of sun damage...

Six_Shooter
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
No, that is my buddy, that owns the trailer and is a great help. By the time that picture waz taken he'd been up for like 30 hours, since one of his GF's dogs died the night before, had already been to another city with another friend that was 600 kma round trip, and had a hole through his foot, from stepping on a nail last week!

EagleMark
12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
and still found time to help you... good Friend!

He's giving the Pirate Friend sign there... can be interrupted another way in anger...

rts91tsi
12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Cool car :thumbsup: or at least that's what I used to say about my older cousins 280Z when I was a kid! That thing was awesome to ride in, and hauled all kinds of ass!

You said your car has the landau top, did you remove the it?

Six_Shooter
12-23-2011, 05:38 AM
The landau top was mostly removed before I got the car, only a single piece of trim and a lot of fuzz on the roof, hatch and pillars when I got it.

What remains is some rust and holes from the trim. :mad1:

EagleMark
12-23-2011, 06:07 AM
A friend of mine from High School got from his dad for graduating, a brand new Z in 1976-7 forget what it was 240 260? His brother choose a used 1969 Cherry Ram Air GTO. Anyway I moved across the states and loose track of Jeff with the new Z, 33 years later I go back east because my sister passed away... at 41... so who shows up at the funeral? Jeff, still has the Z and it's the only car he has ever owned in his life! Course he still lives in parents house in same room he grew up in too... it was like 33 years went by and he did nothing... wanted to be a pitcher in baseball, but never made it, just played baseball his whole life. His brother was very successful, although I was with him as a passenger a year after he got the GTO when it was totalled...

Six_Shooter
12-23-2011, 06:13 AM
In the US, it would have been a 280Z in '76/'77.

rts91tsi
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
The landau top was mostly removed before I got the car, only a single piece of trim and a lot of fuzz on the roof, hatch and pillars when I got it.

What remains is some rust and holes from the trim. :mad1:

My brother's Charger had similar issues from the vinyl being removed from his car's roof,a little rusted, but no holes. At least you have a source for spare parts for your project. It's nice to see folks who appreciate classic cars, especially imports.

EagleMark
12-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Vinyl roofs were not as bad as padded vinyl roofs, but when either got a cut/rip/tear/pinhole they sucked in water and rotted the roof!

Six_Shooter
12-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Landau roofs are bad, mmmkay? Especially on a "sports car."

I started pulling the car apart yesterday. The first things I pulled off were the sway bars. :D

The wheels are decent, and the aluminium drums seems to be worth selling. :D

The only thing I'm debating on is if I should get the engine running before I pull it out, or get it running later on the floor, when I have more time.

EagleMark
12-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Make time now! In the car is SO much easier! Make sure it's running and worth keeping...

Six_Shooter
12-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Make time now! In the car is SO much easier! Make sure it's running and worth keeping...

Two wires is all that is needed to get the engine running. ;)

I've had an EFI engine running on an engine stand, that didn't take me long either. It was actually a 3400, run by a '7730. I wish I still had the video of it, but my camera was stolen before I pulled the data off the card. :(

Six_Shooter
12-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Well, the car is pretty much stripped. Just need to finish taking off the last 12 nuts and the suspension will drop out. I didn't want to drop it out tonight and leave it in the way in the shop, so I'll do that after I bring a few of the other parts home.