PDA

View Full Version : TurnerPro logging -- How do I do that?

historystamp
12-16-2011, 02:30 AM
I got TurnerPro RT 5.x to work on my '93 Corsica 2.2L. TurnerPro displays reasonable coolant temperature in the dashboard.

I want to do logging. I'm doing scanning only. I like to run the car and record data so that I can analyze why my car stutters before it warms up.

I see these instructions.
1) Select a log file to record to by opening the ALDL setup window (F4) and browsing to a log file.
2) Connect to your ECM so that you're monitoring ALDL data.
3) Press record.

a) I cannot find the ALDL setup window!
b) how often is the ECM data sampled? Can I change the sample time? how?

What I tired.
acquisition > record
acquisition > stop

TurnerPro asked me to name the file when I stopped. Is this how TurnerPro works?

This would imply the data is saved in memory. How many minutes can be record with 4gig of memory?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Six_Shooter
12-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Yes, that would be a logged session. Name the file, save it where you want it, review whenever you want.

The Data Acquisition window is under preferences.

The sampled frequency is displayed in the lower data bar.

FSJ Guy
12-16-2011, 04:21 AM
You do have the correct acquisition file for your ECM, correct?

EDIT: Never mind. I see that you're datalogging already.

So, YES, just press record and then stop it when done. Make up a filename and then save it.

That log will automatically still be loaded, so now you can play it back immediately and stare at all the numbers and figures and not have to worry about killing someone or yourself. :D

EagleMark
12-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Your doing it right, it's a little confusing because the old data recording name is still up top after you click record, when you stop the recording and name it the name at top will change to the new recording. Then just play it and watch, or export it to an csv file and get them all or just the ones you want, play with that you can do it over and over again. Then use that recording to build your monitors, dashboard and history tables.

If your cable is hooked up to the car and laptop and you connect and see data well then you are ready to record.

You will never need 4 gig! :laugh: I get 20-30 minute drive on less than 30k.

Don't forget your adx file is toatally custimizable, in list view it may not show all that is there, it may show more than you want, you can add another list view and build it the way you want, add BLM history tables, Knock tables, change dashboards enable datatracing.

TunerPro is so cool that it change your xdf and adx the way you want. One thing I tell people new to it is right click on tool bar and check everything. When you get used to the buttons you never have to look through Aqusition, then this, then that. Just get used to the buttons in toolbar.

historystamp
12-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Six_Shooter (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/member.php?5-Six_Shooter), FSJ Guy (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/member.php?136-FSJ-Guy), & EagleMark (http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/member.php?2-EagleMark): Thank you
for your quick & detailed replies.

I know how to one of these three. I guess that isn't bad!

then use that recording to build your monitors, dashboard and history tables

We figured out how to add items to the Dashboard. I'm working on this with a friend.

What are monitors & history tables? How do I use them?

TurnerPro is a great piece of software. The documentation leaves a little bit to be desired.

Here is what I get to when I examine help on monitor:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6518989405_36e0e912ac.jpg

I don't really care about fixing the help. Im showing my frustration with the state of the help.

Robert

Six_Shooter
12-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Yes, the help files need to be added to and updated. Unfortunately, it's one guy that works on Tuner Pro, so they will only get updated when he has time, and not working on developing more features within the program itself. ;)

Monitors allow you line graph inputs, for comparison and to see trends, they can be helpful.

Personally I've never figured out how to use the history tables.

EagleMark
12-16-2011, 07:22 AM
What xdf and adx are you using? I will use them and start a how to thread and show you how to start and build a BLM history table then a monitor.

BLM History table is a key to adjusting the VE and get fuel right. Dave has built excell spreadsheets to do corrections on a few, if not you have to do math for each cell.

Monitors are excellent for watching for knock counts. When you see them spike you can find the exact spark cell that has to much spark or exact VE sell that is running lean on fuel...

historystamp
12-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for you kind offer.

A167
corsica '93 2.2L

I've read somewhere where my car doesn't have the knock sensor.

I do have the gm shop manuals for the car.

Do you want the actual file? My friend has it.

Car details:
ecm: 16134847
bcc: bczb
platform: LB
engine: LN2
displacement: 2.2
trans: manual

Robert

EagleMark
12-16-2011, 08:57 AM
That BCC BCZB was Superseded to BFKY so that could be a problem? Superseded means GM changed something in that bin.

I want to do logging. I'm doing scanning only. I like to run the car and record data so that I can analyze why my car stutters before it warms up.
It could be this problem?

EagleMark
12-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Well I can't find either of those bins or even what the mask is? Seems that 16134847 has several masks, most are $5, $5B, $57 etc... but none are for your engine. Without having the mask and bin I do not know what the VE table is to build the BLM history table... but I don't think that will help solve your problem.

But I did find the A167.ads and imported it to TP and saved it as A167.adx. It looks like a complete file with all values in the list view. So if the problem is data related you should be able to see it.

I also did a quick how to on how to build monitors at:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?413-Making-Monitors-in-TunerPro-V5-RT

HTH!

EagleMark
12-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes, the help files need to be added to and updated. Unfortunately, it's one guy that works on Tuner Pro, so they will only get updated when he has time, and not working on developing more features within the program itself. ;)

Monitors allow you line graph inputs, for comparison and to see trends, they can be helpful.

Personally I've never figured out how to use the history tables.Personally I love TunerPro. But the help section is sometimes not much help! That and Mark is writing help files from his programming intellectual talent which sometimes... does not correspond with average Gearheads... I wish I could learn from him what he is saying in half that stuff so I could write it in GearHead English!

gregs78cam
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
TunerPro is so cool that it change your xdf and adx the way you want. One thing I tell people new to it is right click on tool bar and check everything. When you get used to the buttons you never have to look through Aqusition, then this, then that. Just get used to the buttons in toolbar.

To go along with this, I have set short cut keys to my preferences for the things I use a lot. CTRL+Z opens edit ADX, CTRL+Q is upload .bin, CTRL+W is verify with EMU contents with current .bin, and many more possible.

EagleMark
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
That's another great built in feature...

I have a hard enough time remembering CTRL C is copy and CTRL V is paste... Now why wouldn't that be CTRL P for paste? At least in TP you could change that too!

historystamp
12-16-2011, 09:56 PM
That BCC BCZB was Superseded to BFKY so that could be a problem? Superseded means GM changed something in that bin.
I have a sticker on the cars ECM with a BCC of BCZB.

What does BCC stand for?

I know the ECM is the silver box with the Motorola computer. I know there is a eprom which contains car specific stuff. Without know what the BCC is, how does the BCC relate to the ECM. I'd assume the BCC is what software version is on the computer.

I have a hard enough time remembering CTRL C is copy and CTRL V is paste

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6522040537_12695f5794.jpg

Also, on the Mac keyboard has a command key that is below the x. It's what key Microsoft copied to make the windows key. On a mac it would be command + x, command + c, & command + v. I find this positioning easier to use than the control key position. I do not know how for back this key positioning goes back. Since the Mac came out with a GUI interface in 1984, I assume Microsoft copied the key usage from the Mac. I could be the Microsoft was involved in the picking since Microsoft wrote an early word processor on the Mac ( 1985).

Robert

EagleMark
12-17-2011, 01:16 AM
BCC is the chip/bin code in the ECM.

I almost got a MAC to start once... then couldn't right click anything? :laugh:

historystamp
12-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I got the log data last night! Thanks its been a struggle, but I won!

We are trying to analyze the data. We realized that it would have been good to have data from when the car was working well.

Would you think it would be helpful to have some reference data on your site?

I'm thinking of log & adx files. This way we could be able to compare data.

Thanks for the site expansion. I was the first poster to the Turnpro RT forum!

Robert

EagleMark
12-19-2011, 11:27 PM
You can always post your log in a thread for people to look at and try to help with. Logs are always differant for each engine or set up by each tuner... so I'm not sure you'd ever get one accurate to compare too?

We started that and have some how to goingon. Just need some time to do an orginized thread... You have a great idea we could start helping TP with.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?214-TunerPro-Version-5-Tips-thread

I moved your thread here, the other forums are for vendors and questions to them once they start putting in their threads...

phonedawgz
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Does TunerPro have BLM history on the $88?

EagleMark
12-24-2011, 04:05 AM
I don't know, did you look?

If not you can build one, it's on my list of how to writeups I'd like to do.