PDA

View Full Version : Tuning with the $10 ALDL cable

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
12-09-2014, 12:20 AM
A while back I built an ALDL cable using the FT232RL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5FB1PR4508&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-AT+-+Electronics-_-Shenzhen+Shanhai+Technology+Ltd.-_-9SIA5FB1PR4508) serial to USB converter. I'm testing the waters in tuning and was wondering if this will be sufficient to tune my 94 LT1 firebird and/or 95 Fullsize tbi pickup?

Six_Shooter
12-09-2014, 09:12 AM
As long as you can connect and get data from the ALDL, then it's fine. ALDL interfaces either work or they don't, there's nothing extra to be seen in the datastream using more expensive interfaces.

The ALDL data is only one part of tuning, you will need a programmer or emulator for the pick up. AFAIK if you can connect to the LT1 PCM for logging then that same interface should work to flash the PCM.

DOCBAWRENCHTURNER
12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I know about the Emulator or programmer for the truck, but wanted to get started tuning on the car if I can. I've never done this before so I wanted to make sure I had the proper hardware to get started on it.