PDA

View Full Version : 92 Tbi 350 to 0411 pcm advice

ETIZZ
11-09-2014, 06:19 AM
My daily is a 92 olds custom cruiser. L05, 4L60 (no E), TBI stock as stock gets other than a air cleaner and exhaust . I'm familiar with efi systems and how they work, and i've tuned my other car 89 rx7 that has a homebuilt efi sbc 327 with a megasquirt ecu.

anyways to my point. i've been doing a lot of research on the 0411 pcm and 24x efi connection stuff. and i'm trying to decide the best route to go. i have never tuned or seen a gm pcm get tuned before. this car is my daily for the most part but i drive a work vehicle for at least a week at a time if not more if i wanted to. so what im trying to accomplish is a budget minded build to swap mpfi and to a 0411 pcm at the same time that i can maybe accomplish in a few weeks once i get everything together

i know the l05 is lacking in performance part and the swirl port heads "aren't great" but i'd like to at least convert the system first and then upgrade as i see fit. I don't want to ls swap because there's too much work for my liking to swap this car lol

so i understand the items i need for the 0411 pcm swap, i plan on junkyarding for most items.

heres my plan
L05 (in car)
LT1 cam (free from a friend)
0411 pcm/harness from a friend of mine from a 4.8 truck($100ish)
already have truck coil packs so id like to do cnp first round but wouldn't mind distributor still(paid 70 bucks)
vortec parts (cover/balancer/1x distributor/4x reluctor wheel (just in case)/ knock sensor/ 4 wire o2's) ($150ish)
tpi intake from jy ($40)
lt1 24lb injectors

keep the 4l60 for now so ill try a tpi tv cable , until i can score a 96+ 4l60e after i get it running with the new setup

efi connection 24x wheel and 24x sensor (250 or whatever it is now)

Anyways my main concerns:
as far as pcm calibrations...do i really have to spend $800 on efi live or are there people here that can get the pcm working enough to drive to a shop for a tune? It's a 0411 pcm out of a 01 express van with a v6?

id rather spend that money on the efi connection harness if i can't manage to put one together worth a crap (i really dont like wiring but i can do it) or if anyone here would like to offer wiring capabilities that wold be awesome

this board seems to have alot of knowledge on tuning and ls gm pcms so i figured it would post here instead of a car specific for me, feel free to move this if there's a better place for it

dave w
11-09-2014, 08:41 AM
My daily is a 92 olds custom cruiser. L05, 4L60 (no E), TBI stock as stock gets other than a air cleaner and exhaust . I'm familiar with efi systems and how they work, and i've tuned my other car 89 rx7 that has a homebuilt efi sbc 327 with a megasquirt ecu.

anyways to my point. i've been doing a lot of research on the 0411 pcm and 24x efi connection stuff. and i'm trying to decide the best route to go. i have never tuned or seen a gm pcm get tuned before. this car is my daily for the most part but i drive a work vehicle for at least a week at a time if not more if i wanted to. so what im trying to accomplish is a budget minded build to swap mpfi and to a 0411 pcm at the same time that i can maybe accomplish in a few weeks once i get everything together

i know the l05 is lacking in performance part and the swirl port heads "aren't great" but i'd like to at least convert the system first and then upgrade as i see fit. I don't want to ls swap because there's too much work for my liking to swap this car lol

so i understand the items i need for the 0411 pcm swap, i plan on junkyarding for most items.

heres my plan
L05 (in car)
LT1 cam (free from a friend)
0411 pcm/harness from a friend of mine from a 4.8 truck($100ish)
already have truck coil packs so id like to do cnp first round but wouldn't mind distributor still(paid 70 bucks)
vortec parts (cover/balancer/1x distributor/4x reluctor wheel (just in case)/ knock sensor/ 4 wire o2's) ($150ish)
tpi intake from jy ($40)
lt1 24lb injectors

keep the 4l60 for now so ill try a tpi tv cable , until i can score a 96+ 4l60e after i get it running with the new setup

efi connection 24x wheel and 24x sensor (250 or whatever it is now)

as far as pcm calibrations...do i really have to spend $800 on efi live or are there people here that can get the pcm working enough to drive to a shop for a tune? It's a 0411 pcm out of a 01 express van with a v6?

id rather spend that money on the efi connection harness if i can't manage to put one together worth a crap (i really dont like wiring but i can do it) or if anyone here would like to offer wiring capabilities that wold be awesome

this board seems to have alot of knowledge on tuning and ls gm pcms so i figured it would post here instead of a car specific for me, feel free to move this if there's a better place for it

The real challenge to getting a 24x system working on a SBC is making a hybrid of two files. One file, from a 5.3 and one file from a 5.7. The Operating System I would use would be 12212156, which has both 5.3 and 5.7 files to combine / swap segments with. Basically start with a 5.3 file and swap the necessary 5.7 parameters into it.

Set the 0411 to manual trans when not using an E-Trans.

I own an EFI Live V2 system. It's been a good investment!:thumbsup:

dave w

dave w
11-09-2014, 06:01 PM

I recently helped out with a 1999 Vortec 5.7 Liter EFI Connection 24x system. I flashed the PCM and built / modified a harness for the setup.

See attached pic.

The more work you are able to do yourself will help keep the budget to a minimum.

dave w

ETIZZ
11-13-2014, 11:54 PM
dave, you seemed to have done exactly what i want to do with my car. is flashing my pcm something i can send you for a fee? im going to be making a standalone harness it doesn't seem too bad. my biggest hurdle is the pcm flash / tuning

dave w
11-14-2014, 12:27 AM
dave, you seemed to have done exactly what i want to do with my car. is flashing my pcm something i can send you for a fee? im going to be making a standalone harness it doesn't seem too bad. my biggest hurdle is the pcm flash / tuning

I could flash the PCM, send me a Private Message (PM) for details.

Might I suggest a budget option? I've been successful (along with several other gearhead-efi members) doing an OBD 1 MPFI conversions using the 16197427 PCM. The software and hardware for flashing the 16197427 PCM is very affordable! The 16197427 PCM can operate either the 4L60E or 4L80E transmissions. The TBI harness you are currently using in Olds can easily be re-purposed by re-pinning the current ECM connectors to for the 16197427 PCM, which would help keep the budget to minimum.

Having per cylinder ignition coil system is nice and very cool looking on an older SBC, with a very high price tag. I don't have dynometer numbers to compare OBD 1 MPFI vs. OBD 2 MPFI with per cylinder ignition coils, so I can't say the OBD 2 MPFI system is worth the added expense. The most significant benefit using OBD 2 MPFI per cylinder ignition coils is a decrease in emissions. From what I've read the overall performance increase are marginal OBD 2 MPFI vs. OBD 1 MPFI.

dave w

ETIZZ
11-14-2014, 12:39 AM
can you enlighten me on the details of this? i already have all the parts for either a 4x or 24x conversion other than the 24x reluctor/sensor just laying around which is why im interested in that. if i can do an obd1 mpfi conversion and be able to tune lets say for a cam change relatively easy down the road then im definitely interested

Fast355
11-14-2014, 01:33 AM
can you enlighten me on the details of this? i already have all the parts for either a 4x or 24x conversion other than the 24x reluctor/sensor just laying around which is why im interested in that. if i can do an obd1 mpfi conversion and be able to tune lets say for a cam change relatively easy down the road then im definitely interested

I do not have a straight comparison, but I went from a beyond mild cam that ran well in a OBD1 TPI setup run by MPFI 7427 to a an 0411 run 232/240 @ .050" cam on a single plane mpfi intake in my old 1983 G20. The mileage, performance, and driveability all increased noticeably with the newer electronics. I was running the 350 Vortec distributor, coil and module as well. The coil near plug setups have alot more spark energy, more redundancy, and better reliability than the systems with a distributor.

dave w
11-14-2014, 06:35 AM

The link to the 16197427 PCM information is here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?303-16197427-PCM-Information-0D

Post #6 has the .zip TBI to MPFI file.

I see the MPFI options as:
Good ~ OBD 1 MPFI ~ Lowest Cost ~ Allows using TunerPro RT (suggested $39 donation) with a Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 emulator ($175 / no chip burning required) for real time tuning! The 16197427 can be configured to operate electric radiator cooling fans / 700R4 TCC lockup / with real time WBO2 in data log.

Better ~ OBD 2 MPFI using 4x crank position sensor (Vortec single coil). ~ Simple System / Affordable Parts with expensive tuning hardware / software,

Best ~ OBD 2 MPFI using 24x crank position sensor (LSx coil per cylinder). ~Somewhat of a Complex System / Affordable Parts with expensive tuning hardware / software.

dave w

Fast355
11-14-2014, 07:43 PM
I have seen testing for a LT1 setup, eliminating the trouble prone optijunk thing and going with the 24x setup.

My L31 will be 24x before long.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1111-small-block-chevrolet-ls-conversion/

http://www.eficonnection.com/media/StreetThunderMayJun2010.pdf