PDA

View Full Version : ECM location on a classic car

mmigacz
10-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Does anyone have ideas, suggestion, examples of ECM locations for a classic 60's car? I'm in the process of collecting TBI parts for converting my 69 Camaro to efi. I peaked under the dash, and it didn't look obvious as to where I could mount the ECM. After some internet searching I found that some people go rid of the glove box and mounted the ECM in its place. This would be an option, but I was looking for a place that would work with the glove box. Any ideas?

steveo
10-06-2014, 03:47 AM
theres totally room under a 1st gen passenger dash. the ecm is pretty small, just need to make a bracket

mmigacz
10-06-2014, 02:20 PM
theres totally room under a 1st gen passenger dash. the ecm is pretty small, just need to make a bracket

Above the glove box?

Six_Shooter
10-06-2014, 04:18 PM

This ^^

You may need to tack on some bolts to existing sheet metal to give you an attachment point, or make some brackets that use existing fasteners for other things, like the heater box.

You could also mount the ECM under a seat, passenger side is common.

Use the same idea GM had with the G-body and make an additional piece that attaches to the kick panel that holds/covers the ECM. Just find a spot that has enough space for the ECM, that will remain dry, and you can get to for servicing/tuning.

buddrow
10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure about using a kick panel on a 60's era vehicle, most of them had vents in the kickpanel which may subject it to moisture. I may be wrong on the Camaro but just a thought.

Buddrow

mmigacz
10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys! This helps.

Six_Shooter
10-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure about using a kick panel on a 60's era vehicle, most of them had vents in the kickpanel which may subject it to moisture. I may be wrong on the Camaro but just a thought.

Buddrow

Yes, most did, and that includes the Camaro, however, done right it would not be a problem. ;) Also if it has AC, the vent's purpose is different, and not directly vented to the interior, but ducted to the AC/heater box.

FWIW, I've installed speakers IN the vent areas (not a preferred way, but not my choice) and have never had complaints about speakers failing due to moisture. Also realize that a 60's Camaro is not likely to be driven (often) in very wet conditions. ;)