PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Suburban Engine and EFI swap.

Six_Shooter
03-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Here is a swap I did for my boss, in his 1962 Chevrolet Suburban.

Before the wrenches were turned, or the torches came out, it had a straight 6, with a 3 speed manual trans. The owner grew tired of the lack of power and the trans popping out of 3rd gear, and wanted something a bit more reliable.

I tried to convince him to ad EFI to the existing 6 cylinder, but he ultimately decided to go with a drivetrain swap, due to the tranny issues that were also there.
What I ended up installing was a 350 SBC, TBI, with a 700R4. I used a '7747 fpr the swap, due to the simplicity of it and the close match to drivetrain going in. I didn't want to go to the '7427 with this one, simply because I hadn't figured out all the tranny delete parameters yet, and didn't really have time to screw around with it.

Six_Shooter
03-13-2011, 07:50 AM
I pulled the front clip off to remove the existing drivetrain. There were some frame modifications that were needed to get the new drivetrain in.

Six_Shooter
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
There was some frame cutting and some floor cutting to get this combo installed in the '62.

I'm going to skip some of the mounting details, and get more into the EFI stuff.

I used mostly a stock TBI set-up from a late '80s to early '90s GM pick up.

I'll start with the fuel tank modification to create a feed and return system.
The original feed was a 5/16" feed, so I decided this would be perfect to become the return.
I added a 3/8 pick up tube to the stock sending unit.

Six_Shooter
03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Now I'll get a bit into the wiring.

This was pretty time consuming because I wanted the wiring to pretty much disappear, because I didn't want to take away from the over look of the truck by having a bunch of wires hanging all over the engine and interior.

I decided to pass all of the new wiring through the hole where the original engine harness was passed from the interior to the engine bay. I also had to upgrade some of the factory wires anyway. There was a 16 AWG starter wire on this truck! :o
I used the original harness to trigger some relays for start and ignition.

Six_Shooter
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I'll see if I can find some completed pictures.

The owner really wanted to keep the original 6 cylinder air cleaner, even though it seems to be pretty restrictive. I think it looks kinda neat, in a sore thumb kinda way. lol

EagleMark
03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Nice work! All he needs now is a hydra boost conversion on there for the P/B and P/S.

Lucky
03-13-2011, 08:23 PM
TURBO TURBO TURBO TURBO TURBO :twisted:

Six_Shooter
03-14-2011, 01:35 AM
It will be getting a brake upgrade, disc in the front and probably just a conventional vacuum power set-up.

The steering will also change, just not sure if he will go with power steering or not.

No turbo for this one.

Six_Shooter
10-25-2011, 07:08 AM
My boss told me today he sold this truck. :(

He wasn't trying to sell it, but a guy that has wanted it for a few years finally made a good enough offer it seems.

EagleMark
10-25-2011, 01:15 PM
That was a sweet install you did! RIP...