PDA

View Full Version : Help with my truck just quitting.

joegreen
08-31-2014, 04:00 AM
I recently converted my truck to efi. Today i was driving through the home depot parking lot and the truck lost power for a second and then it was fine. I made it a few miles until i got to my next stop which was lowes. When i got back out my truck started fine. As i was leaving the parking lot i was going down a small hill so i was riding my brakes. All of the sudden my truck just quit. I checked all my connection and my fuses. I even ran power straight to the fuel pump. I was able to get it started for 10 seconds, enough time to back it into a parking space. After much testing i came to the conclusion that the computer is cutting fuel. I had the whole air filter assembly off and was able to watch the injectors. At first I put paper towels under the injector to see if anything came out. After i unplugged the computer it ran for 10 seconds then quit again. It seems to start and run for 10 seconds after it sits for a while. I watched the injectors while it was running and all of the sudden the fuel just stopped. The injectors have power because I tested the wires with my dvom. I believe the computer is cutting ground to the injectors. I use this vehicle to drive to college and i cant be without it. What do you all think is the problem, is their anything i can check or test? is there a common problem that causes this? is the computer not liking what a sensor is seeing so it cuts fuel?:confused: Thanks for all your help.

steveo
08-31-2014, 05:08 AM
it's somewhat likely that your cam position reference (usually the ignition module or pickup in your distributor) has failed.

joegreen
08-31-2014, 05:46 AM
Thanks. After reading a little the icm could be the problem. I guess i will have to check with autozone and see if they can test the icm. I read to test it enough times to get it hot like 15 or more. If the ics turns out to be the problem is there any brand i should go with. i see an ac delco icm on amazon for $44 with free shipping.

joegreen
09-01-2014, 01:39 AM
So i went to the autoparts store today and had the icm tested. It tested good the first few times until it heated up then it failed for no reference signal. I have a new icm on order. Thanks steveo.

steveo
09-01-2014, 02:55 AM
no worries, glad it was that simple!