PDA

View Full Version : Troubles starting up with Ostrich 2.0

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 09:38 PM
So I was installing the Ostrich 2.0 on my 95 TBI, I have the right bin, mask, everything and I tried turning the truck on but I got no spark:sad:. I disconnected the ostrich 2.0 from my laptop and tried to start it and it runs but if I try datalogging it just says "DA Connecting" and it never connects. If I plug the ostrich 2.0 While it's running the truck turns off. I removed the Ostrich 2.0 and installed my memcal back in there and it runs fine and I can Datalog:confused:

I'm stuck here any suggestions?

Six_Shooter
08-30-2014, 09:44 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but I've seen people miss this step in the past.

Have you uploaded the bin to the Ostrich?

dave w
08-30-2014, 09:47 PM
I'll start with the basics:
The attached pictures show how the Ostrich 2.0 is correctly installed with a Moates.net G1 adapter into the PCM.

Are we good so far?

dave w

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 09:52 PM
I've correctly installed the the ostrich 2.0 to the g1 adapter with Memcal attached then secured it to the ecm until the clips clicked. I did upload a new bin and I noticed right away the difference cause the new bin had the PE and DFCO turned off but as I said it would only run if the usb from the ostrich wasn't connected to my laptop.

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 09:54 PM
And I did change the mask ID to AA

Six_Shooter
08-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Ok, so it's the USB that needs to be disconnected, that wasn't clear in your first post. It sounded to me like it was the ribbon cable that was being disconnected, which would allow LHM (Limp Home Mode) to run the engine.

That's an issue I have not seen.

Have you tried turning emulation on or off and see any difference in running?

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 09:56 PM
I did and I can't start the truck as long as the usb is connected to the laptop even if the turn the emulation on or off
I'm gonna try getting an older driver from moates and trying again in a bit once the rain calms down.

dave w
08-30-2014, 10:05 PM
I've correctly installed the the ostrich 2.0 to the g1 adapter with Memcal attached then secured it to the ecm until the clips clicked. I did upload a new bin and I noticed right away the difference cause the new bin had the PE and DFCO turned off but as I said it would only run if the usb from the ostrich wasn't connected to my laptop.

Ok, Just checking. I just found an additional picture I wanted to put in my first post. I think it's possible someone in the future might find the pics helpful.

I've used the Ostrich 2.0 "stand alone" (not connected to a Laptop) countless times. Maybe try using the Ostrich 2.0 stand alone?

dave w

Six_Shooter
08-30-2014, 10:07 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is a com port conflict, where two programs are trying to access the same port when you connect the Ostrich via USB.

You could try manually changing the com port assigned to the Ostrich.

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't mind using it but still I need to be able to catalog and I can't right now.

Six_Shooter
08-30-2014, 10:13 PM
If you can't datalog that means that the truck is in LHM.

Just to make sure: You do have a separate datalogging cable, correct? The Ostrich does not have a datalogging feature. There is a hit tracing feature, but that is a different animal.

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 10:14 PM
If you can't datalog that means that the truck is in LHM.

Just to make sure: You do have a separate datalogging cable, correct? The Ostrich does not have a datalogging feature. There is a hit tracing feature, but that is a different animal.

I do have a separate datalogging cable, what is LHM?

buddrow
08-30-2014, 11:03 PM
LHM is Limp Home Mode. It runs a default code to get you home, or somewhere safe, in case of PROM error.

Buddrow

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Well I feel stupid now............. I rechecked my connections and noticed I put the ostrich 2.0 on the adapter backwards :mad1:

It's running perfect now. Thanks everyone.

buddrow
08-30-2014, 11:27 PM
I wasn't trying to belittle you. no need to feel stupid. :)

Buddrow

trippyjoey
08-30-2014, 11:38 PM
It's alright sometimes you need to feel stupid to learn lol
Well everything seems to run right. I'll be filling up in some 90 octane gas, the egr is disabled, and on Monday I'll be datalogging for VE with the PE/DFCO disabled.