PDA

View Full Version : Duct tape no good on UV chips...

EagleMark
12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I bought a GQ 4X programmer so I could burn old 2732 UV erase type chips for a fleet of trucks. Well all went well. When I was done with the chips I had a sheet of labels I printed with info of chip to cover the top glass type hole that the UV light goes in to erase, like on a stock chip so they looked good to. I used to use masking tape and write on it what it was.

Well the other day I pulled my 7747 from the Suburban that has the Moates adapter for 27FS512 chips so I could use it to tune a car and replaced it with a stock ECM and chip I burned... check engine light flashed continuously, so I thought finally I got a bad chip, first of about 25, I had bought 100 of them brand new... tried again, didn't work.... :sad: so I burn a third one and this time read it and compared the hex to file and identical. Put it in... didn't work.
:confused:
Took a break and had dinner and was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. :idea: Only thing different was I put a piece of duct tape on top... pulled it off and all three chips were good and ran in the truck! :doh: Left it in with no tape or sticker on it, should be OK as it will never see light.

The duct tape must conduct electricity? :mad1:

1project2many
12-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Some duct tape has aluminum in it.

I've had problems with the adhesive from the tape preventing UV light from erasing the chip. I carry a can of brakeclean when doing chips. I also bought a nice, electronic label maker so I didn't have to keep writing on masking tape. Works great.

EagleMark
12-06-2011, 06:37 AM
I always wiped the old ones clean with acetone, saw that coming. But these were new chips. Did not see the duct tape issues coming... :mad1:

What's the label maker? Like one of those old ones that stamped numbers in a tape?