PDA

View Full Version : Any other hptuner users

doctortuned
07-21-2014, 06:46 AM
I prefer tunercat. But I use hptuners a lot also. Just seeing how may others users are on here.

mecanicman
07-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Welcome to hptuners anonymous!

Fast355
07-21-2014, 05:00 PM
HP Tuners here as well! At the moment tuning a black box PCM in a 1999 5.7 Suburban.

doctortuned
07-22-2014, 01:54 AM
I use it only when I have to. I bought license for a 10 duramax last week. The guy had his dpf removed. I read the file with a older version of hpt. I had to license the truck again. I could of spent 50 more and got unlimited if I knew they made me license it again to use the older software. Suppose to be vcm license. Not vcm license for each beta. I like there software. But I think they are wrong.

mecanicman
07-22-2014, 02:10 AM
You should not have had to license, should have just needed to refresh your license. With cable connected press the white bubble with the i in it, then press white bubble again on next screen that pops up. Then it would have worked off your original license.

EagleMark
07-22-2014, 02:17 AM
Do you guys need your own section?

Fast355
07-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Do you guys need your own section?

Mark,
Wouldn't be a bad idea if it were not too much trouble. Many people are using HPT and not many places where people are willing to provide much information other than HPTs very limited forum.

lionelhutz
07-22-2014, 03:58 AM
I mostly just tune on my own stuff, but I've had it 3 or 4 years now along with Tunerpro and CATS.

mekkis
08-02-2014, 05:00 AM
I use HP for stuff not supported by TC. Their Chrysler and Ford development is coming along very nicely.

Fast355
08-02-2014, 05:33 AM
I use HP for stuff not supported by TC. Their Chrysler and Ford development is coming along very nicely.

That is a very good thing, IMO. I could have kept from nuking 545RFEs had I been able to tune the trans.

SCT had some of the dodge engine codes down pretty well, but chose not to decode any TCMs. While Diablo is known to mess up PCMs and ABS modules.

mekkis
08-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Uhm , yeah, about that... I did a Procharged 2005 5.7 Ram back mid-June, the trans lasted three weeks. The trans support at that time was TPS vs RPM shift points, no pressures. Lifted on 37's, probably not much could be done for a stock trans with all that load, anyway.

Fast355
08-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Uhm , yeah, about that... I did a Procharged 2005 5.7 Ram back mid-June, the trans lasted three weeks. The trans support at that time was TPS vs RPM shift points, no pressures. Lifted on 37's, probably not much could be done for a stock trans with all that load, anyway.

Yea probably not a recipe for sucess for a lasting 545rfe. I had a transgo shift kit and line pressure resistor for a 30 psi increase. My Ram was an 06, born with a 4.7 but swapped to a hemi with a cable operated throttle body run by a tuned 4.7 pcm. Kept taking OD clutches out of it running down the highway.

I don't feel the line pressure rose quickly enough for the sidewinder cammed, long tube, tuned 5.7.

buddrow
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Yea probably not a recipe for sucess for a lasting 545rfe. I had a transgo shift kit and line pressure resistor for a 30 psi increase. My Ram was an 06, born with a 4.7 but swapped to a hemi with a cable operated throttle body run by a tuned 4.7 pcm. Kept taking OD clutches out of it running down the highway.

I don't feel the line pressure rose quickly enough for the sidewinder cammed, long tube, tuned 5.7.

Fast, the 545RFE is a lame duck trans IMO. In stock apps they last ok but when hp is added they fail regularly without internal upgrades as well as tcm mods. We don't offer HP 545RFE for that reason. If you wanted to install the 68RFE then youd be better off but not sure if anyone makes a kit for that. I have used the line pressure sensor modifiers with limited success but it's more of a band aid approach. The big issue is internal torque capacity, the trans is based largely off the 604 trans used in passenger cars and minivans not known for their durability. That trans has been the bread and butter for a lot of trans shops along with the 4L60E and Ford AODE/4R70W. The regular production transmissions as of late use stamped steel components for less rotating mass to gain fuel economy. With that being said, good luck and sorry for semi-hijacking the thread with my ramblings lol.

Buddrow

Fast355
08-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Fast, the 545RFE is a lame duck trans IMO. In stock apps they last ok but when hp is added they fail regularly without internal upgrades as well as tcm mods. We don't offer HP 545RFE for that reason. If you wanted to install the 68RFE then youd be better off but not sure if anyone makes a kit for that. I have used the line pressure sensor modifiers with limited success but it's more of a band aid approach. The big issue is internal torque capacity, the trans is based largely off the 604 trans used in passenger cars and minivans not known for their durability. That trans has been the bread and butter for a lot of trans shops along with the 4L60E and Ford AODE/4R70W. The regular production transmissions as of late use stamped steel components for less rotating mass to gain fuel economy. With that being said, good luck and sorry for semi-hijacking the thread with my ramblings lol.

Buddrow

That truck is LONG GONE!!! I only have three transmissions in my fleet at the moment. A 4L80E in the Express, TH350 in the Corvette, and a Jatco RE505A in the Titan. I was going to find a way to swap a NAG1 into the Ram.

roughneck427
08-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I had HPtuners and sold it I hated the fact the vin a OS had to match for the year and the fact the extra credits to license a pcm such as I had a 2002 truck with just a TSP220 we wanted to fine tune it but was done with HPtuners because the guy that tuned it used a COS and speed density it cost $200 in credits to tune it.

Playtoy_18
11-06-2014, 02:26 AM
I was given an MPVI pro box a few weeks ago from a customer.
He had traded his lifted dodge for a twin turbo 04 gto with a built LS2 swap and it came with it.
He had no clue what it was,I explained how much it was worth and what it did then offered to keep it in lieu of payment for getting the spaghetti mess of wires under his dash fixed.
Just now pulled it out to try out on a CTS cause I don't see a VDF for an 07 3.6 with tunercat or efilive.
I would pay for a .bin convertor if I could find one.

mecanicman
02-03-2015, 03:55 AM
I have long been a proponent of HPTuners software. I considered it superior in a lot of ways to other offerings. When it comes to doing swaps it has always been lacking, the vin/os pairing it requires has caused a lot of issues. This a very large part of the tuning game these days is being able make something work in an application other than originally intended. In a write up in the vcm suit FAQ section on the hpt site that you must be signed in to see, the new way of licensing in version 2.25 is partially outlined. HPT no longer locks to the vin or pcm ID, but a variety of items in the PCM. It is said that changing the VIN in the pcm will now most likely require you to relicense your file, even if it was previously licensed. Further restrictions on what is already a restrictive process. If you start adding up the costs of this, HPT has just priced itself out of the game in my opinion.

Also, licenses are not backwards compatible from 2.25 to 2.24 and older. The suggestion from hpt is to continue using 2.24 if you started with it on a vehicle. Currently there are a number of bugs with 2.24 that will not be fixed until 2.25 according to hpt posting. We have been left with a crippled version of software and told to keep using it to keep licenses intact.

Not impressed.

mekkis
02-03-2015, 04:08 AM
HP no longer charges for custom OS with 2.25, so that abrogates some of the hassle.

Which bugs are you experiencing?

mecanicman
02-03-2015, 07:40 AM
No charge for custom operating system is part of 2.24. There are a number of bugs in the scanner presently. You can read the comments on hpt site.

mekkis
02-03-2015, 06:11 PM
All I am finding are some folks who don't know how to use the (any) software, and what appears to be a botched recent release of 2.24 that changed labels. If you need older, working copies of 2.24 or 2.25 LMK, I have an archive of 15-20 of the installers. I have done this for six or seven years now, with everything I use, because you always end up in a situation.

99% of the OEM tuning softwares on the market have bugs, issues, and do not work the way you think they do. Nothing unusual here, and to be expected given the magnitude of the project we are discussing. This is not just an HP Tuners issue.

Montecarlodrag
02-07-2015, 03:31 AM
I have long been a proponent of HPTuners software. I considered it superior in a lot of ways to other offerings. When it comes to doing swaps it has always been lacking, the vin/os pairing it requires has caused a lot of issues. This a very large part of the tuning game these days is being able make something work in an application other than originally intended. In a write up in the vcm suit FAQ section on the hpt site that you must be signed in to see, the new way of licensing in version 2.25 is partially outlined......

I feel your pain. I have a shop and most of the work I do are engine swaps. Some of them need a lot of changes in the tune, like a different operating system, segment swaps, vin changes etc with 2-3 Bar support for turbo cars. To make a car work the way the owner wants is not possible with HPT V2.24 so I had to buy Tunercats to flash the PCM with the file I need.

Now 2.25 will totally cripple me for my swaps. I already tried and even a simple OS change asks for a re-license. I had the ability to flash a PCM with any OS I needed without losing my license because TC does not change the VCM ID HPT marries to. 2.25 will no longer allow that.
The customer is who pays for the license, I don't see the point of locking the software this way, it will not bring more sales to HPT, on the contrary.

For all future projects all money for licenses will be going to Efi Live, they only lock to the PCM ID. I will only use HPT for vehicles not supported by others.

It's sad to see a great product go the way of greed and over protection. Afaik HPT's protection has not been cracked yet so I see no point in doing this.