PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude Boat Motor!

EagleMark
07-14-2014, 02:31 AM
Here's some pictures of the motor I got at a garage sale Saturday. Have no idea what it is, what year, HP, etc... but it was aweful nice for $40... figured it was worth a lot more?

joegreen
07-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Does it run? This is a good excuse to get a small boat.:innocent2: If you want to use it make sure you check the impeller. It may look ok but with age they can just fall apart while out on the water, other than that its a sweet looking motor. I have a small 6hp wizard super twin i received for free. Right now I am in the process of determining if its worth getting running but my tbi conversion has stolen my interest at the moment.

EagleMark
07-14-2014, 06:22 AM
If I was going to use it I'd probably through a new impeller in it. They are cheap and easy to install... usually. Plus look to see there's no water in bottom gear oil.

Pull on the starter cord and loads of compression. Tank was drained before storage.

It's in amazing shape. We were there late and it had no price, just a sign to make an offer... so most people just walked away thinking it was as expensive as it looked. When I asked what kind offers they had she said I was the first person to ask about it... I said I always start at $1. She laughed and said $50. so I opened my wallet and said all I had was $40? She said no you don't! I have $40 and you have a boat motor! :jfj:

The guy listening had his wallet out and mouth wide open! :laugh: Guess it was my turn? :rockon:

At another garage sale (after I went to ATM for anther $40) there was a 22 inch monitor. Had the big adjustable stand and I asked the guy abiut it and he said $50... (here we go again) so he tells me it's a high definition... like 1610 by 1200 or... then spins the monitor up and down and it has the regular monitor cable and DVI... hooks it up to a computer he's selling to show me the difference... I knew what it was but wow what a difference. So I open my wallet and said "All I got is $40?" OK, you got a monitor!

Now I got two 22 inch DVI monitors that stand up... wonder what I can do with 2 long screens?

So what is this boat motor? Year? HP? Value? I dont have a boat and only got it to sell!

jim_in_dorris
07-14-2014, 06:34 AM
somewhere on it should be a plate, most likely down by where the clamp is. It is a model number that will tell us the hp and year

steveo
07-14-2014, 07:16 AM
yeah, i can see it in the second picture. what's the model code? i know em all

buddrow
07-14-2014, 07:34 AM
quick google search- http://www.britishseagullparts.com/other-outboards/evinrude/models-1961.htm

3 hp Lightwin circa early 1960's

EagleMark
07-14-2014, 04:19 PM
yeah, i can see it in the second picture. what's the model code? i know em allModel 3038

It's on the tag and 3 HP.

steveo
07-14-2014, 05:19 PM
yep, 1961 3hp; apart from what you already mentioned, probably will need coils (the epoxy they used apparently breaks down after half a century) but they're cheap.

if you just want to flip it, since its all original, probably worth well over $500 as-is if you can find some crazy antique outboard collector where you live. but those are hard to find.

EagleMark
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Wow, no $hit! I knew it was worth more... but? They are oneBay for $350-$450 and don't look near as nice as this one.

steveo
07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
well i know a guy that restores these things, im talking like frame-off restoration here, and sells them for thousands. they're beautiful when they're done.

but his are 0 hour rebuilds, new rings, ignition system, overhauled carb, etc. yours is in unknown condition. sure it has compression, but you dont know if it's been sitting with water in the gearcase for 30 years. you dont know if the crank seals have dried up.

either way if you cant find a serious collector you gotta at least quadruple your money on it ......

steveo
07-14-2014, 06:43 PM
also if you wanted to fix it THEN sell it.. a carb kit, coils, points, condenser, impeller, plugs, some gear oil... i have enough parts here on the shelf to do 20x those engines, could trade for car stuff or sell you the parts cheap.

Fast355
07-14-2014, 06:49 PM
well i know a guy that restores these things, im talking like frame-off restoration here, and sells them for thousands. they're beautiful when they're done.

but his are 0 hour rebuilds, new rings, ignition system, overhauled carb, etc. yours is in unknown condition. sure it has compression, but you dont know if it's been sitting with water in the gearcase for 30 years. you dont know if the crank seals have dried up.

either way if you cant find a serious collector you gotta at least quadruple your money on it ......

Steveo you don't happen to have a line on parts for those old "Tower of Power" Mercury outboards do you? I have a 1979 90 HP that needs a few odds and ends almost every year. This old one just keeps running. Very unique sound on the 6 cylinder inline 2-stroke as well.

steveo
07-14-2014, 06:55 PM
although i dont actually work for a mercury dealership anymore, i can definitely help you locate any part you need for a good price.

i had a tower of power once too, they're intense

i plugged a 6 gallon portable tank into it, full.. pulled away from the dock..lit a cigarette, and floored it.

by the time i butt my smoke out, the tank was empty.

Fast355
07-14-2014, 07:18 PM
although i dont actually work for a mercury dealership anymore, i can definitely help you locate any part you need for a good price.

i had a tower of power once too, they're intense

i plugged a 6 gallon portable tank into it, full.. pulled away from the dock..lit a cigarette, and floored it.

by the time i butt my smoke out, the tank was empty.

My little bass boat is not so bad on gas/oil and has an insane holeshot with the power prop it has (runs about 42 mph @ 5,300 rpm flat out), but once I switched tanks and the second tank was stale! Engine conked out. Finally got close enough to someone with the trolling motor to yell over and get a tow. As soon as you feel the engine start to flatten out, you gotta back off the throttle, switch tanks quickly, and pump the primer bulb until its hard to keep it going!

steveo
07-14-2014, 07:41 PM
be very careful about fuel quality on that old thing and do cylinder drop tests as regular maintaince.

gotta remember something important.

clogged carb on a multi-carb 4-stroke = cylinder doesn't run. might be a bit lean. no big deal. sump is still lubricating.

clogged carb on a multi-carb 2-stroke = cylinder doesn't run. cylinder is under-lubricated or isn't lubricated at all. rings run dry and there go your ringlands

should also just get a two way ball valve for your tanks and leave both connected, makes life way easier...

brian617
07-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Dammit Mark! Been looking for a deal on one of those for over a year now and you buy one for $40! :yikes: I'll double your money on it if you can get it to Arkansas :happy:

steveo
07-15-2014, 12:58 AM
see mark, there IS a market for smokey old direct drive 2-strokes!

did you get the stand with it? you could sell that for 50 bucks too

EagleMark
07-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Yup stand came with it! :jfj:

steveo
07-15-2014, 03:15 AM
you cant just buy stands like that, gotta be homemade stuff!

EagleMark
07-15-2014, 03:30 AM
This motor is in incredible shape for a 1961! It's only a year younger then me and much better shape! :confused1:

steveo
07-15-2014, 07:07 AM
yeah its a hell of a find, doesn't look like it's ever been used. i really think you should go fishin' with it before you sell it.

EagleMark
07-21-2014, 03:20 AM
What pre mix should I use to start this motor?

steveo
07-21-2014, 03:46 AM
initially start it on 25:1 or so. this is because you dont know how long its been sitting.

then you can back off 35:1 or 40:1 with modern TCW3, or leave it at 25:1 if oil quality is unknown.

i run all 2-stroke outboards at 40:1 personally

they were originally spec'd for 24:1 mix, however oil has gotten a lot better.

brian617
07-21-2014, 03:12 PM
If it were originally spec'd with 24:1 then that's the proper ratio to get the proper air to fuel ratio. A mixture of less oil and more gas will result in a richer AFR and conversely more oil less fuel will lean the AFRs. Think of it this way, there is only so much oil/fuel that can go through a fixed orifice (carb jet), so if more oil is going through less fuel makes it way through as a result. Unless you decide to change the jetting, or it isn't jetted properly, then keep close to the original ratio no matter the oil being used. It is a common misconception that more oil will make it "richer" it's quite the opposite.

ony
07-21-2014, 06:34 PM
egale mark you need to try that motor out so we can have a good fishing store :laugh::jfj:

steveo
07-21-2014, 07:57 PM
If it were originally spec'd with 24:1 then that's the proper ratio to get the proper air to fuel ratio.

these old guys had both high and low speed enrichment needles externally accessable, meant to be tuned 'by feel' while in use, so the effect of oiling on AFR is kind of unimportant. but sure, run it at 24:1 if you want to. wont hurt anything, it's just more smoke.

brian617
07-21-2014, 08:15 PM
these old guys had both high and low speed enrichment needles externally accessable

Weedeater carb :laugh:

steveo
07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
those old ones share a lot of parts with old lawnboy yard equipment (which was a johnson/evinrude product until the 90s i think). im sure there's a lawnmower out there somewhere with the same carb.

Fast355
07-21-2014, 09:37 PM
these old guys had both high and low speed enrichment needles externally accessable, meant to be tuned 'by feel' while in use, so the effect of oiling on AFR is kind of unimportant. but sure, run it at 24:1 if you want to. wont hurt anything, it's just more smoke.

Yep the old Mercs ran the same style low/high speed fuel enrichment needles. Very similar to the way a Q-Jet metering rod works, just not intake vacuum dependent.