PDA

View Full Version : TBI for a flathead Ford engine

Ol'Ron
07-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Well I've been cruising this site for a week or so and I've decided to jump in. I have a distributor and will try and get the rest of the parts as soon as I can. I have a good outlet.
I'm primarly interested in the ignition advance at first. This seems to be our biggest problem and being able to control the advance in both power and cruise will be a big asset. If any of you fellas have done this, I'd like some help. I'm going to send for the 42 dollar package and may need help with the wireing. Bad eyesight, but I have help, my grand son is pretty computer savy.
Thanks in advance.
Ol' Ron

Ol'Ron
07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Did'tt understand a word of it. Have trouble with English sometimes.

Ol'Ron
07-07-2014, 04:50 AM
I seem to have a problen finding the place to send the 42 dollars. It wouls also be nice if some one would contact me about this. Thank you Ol; Ron

1project2many
07-07-2014, 04:58 AM
Hey, Ron...

Who are you trying to send $42 to?? Are you seeing people talk about $42?? It's today's way of saying something like "Get a Stromberg 97." There are different computers, and inside the computers sometimes there are different programs. $42 is a shortcut way of talking about the computer and program that ran many of the throttle body injected GM pickups from about '86 to '93.

Ol'Ron
07-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Well thank you very much, I was under the impression it contained the wiring and codes for modifying the computer. At present I'd like to just use the ignition part of the computer. Any help getting this information would be greatly appreciated. My grand son is pretty good at computers, he programs CNC machines.

1project2many
07-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Well... it's not that tough but you'll need to start with a distributor with a magnetic pickup coil. You'll need to connect it to a GM ignition module so the computer can get an rpm signal and can control timing. The computer will need signals for throttle position, coolant temp, and vacuum. Look at the sensors from a 1989 Chevrolet K1500 with a 350 for a starting point.

Ol'Ron
07-09-2014, 02:44 AM
I have several GM TBI distributors and am convent them to operate in a Flathead. We do this with the points distributors, which can be tuned quite well and have converted them to adjustable mechanical adv.Where can I get a wireing diagram and why would the ignition system care about throttle position??

1project2many
07-09-2014, 04:41 AM
As long as the distributor has no advance and uses the original type pickup coil and ignition module you should be ok.

At high throttle the computer can be programmed slightly more timing. When throttle is opened quickly timing can be programmed to drop quickly so no pinging or detonation.

Wiring diagrams are on this page:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

CDeeZ
02-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Just found this thread. I've been thinking about adapting EFI to one of our flatheads. Likely a 7427 PCM utilizing TBI components.

MQQN28
02-28-2018, 11:05 PM
Hi
CDeeZ

This is my EFI setup on the Flathead. Flatattack racing KIt using Delco 808. Unfortunatly these kits are no longer available. They were either plenum or hilborn style.
12641[1264212643

CDeeZ
02-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Woah man. That is just waaayy too cool. We got a few 8BAs and I would LOVE to do something like that. We have a 32 and a 49 both running 8BAs with Holley 94s. The 32 has a T5 from an S10 and the 49 has the original 3 on the tree with automatic overdrive.

Thanks for sharing your ride I love it!

Do you ever get on the HAMB?

MQQN28
02-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Thanks CDeeZ

I have looked at the HAMB, but maybe not enough. Its probably worth me joining.

I was approached at the hot rod show (where that pic was taken) by a guy from Sydney. He has one of the first Hilborn kits and is finally installing it on his 35 roadster after siting on it for over 15 years. He wanted some info on set up and what problems I had. I will get some pics of this.

This is the link to Flatattack racing for efi. Note this is an old link. http://www.flatattackracing.com/products.html
Mike Davidson has a twin engine flathead streamliner which he is attempting to crack 300mph on the dry lakes over here.

CDeeZ
03-03-2018, 12:06 AM
Yes you should definitely join! We post on there under the handle RuFFDaWG.

I feel like anyone even remotely interested in car/car culture has to ask themselves where did it all start? And IMO it all started with the flathead Ford.