PDA

View Full Version : no lock option.

doctortuned
07-04-2014, 01:23 AM
I wonder why tc will not allow you to lock a file. You can with hptuners, efilive, and even westers. Which is about the same program as tunercat. Just saved as a different ext.

Fast355
07-04-2014, 01:34 AM
I wonder why tc will not allow you to lock a file. You can with hptuners, efilive, and even westers. Which is about the same program as tunercat. Just saved as a different ext.

Not sure why you would want to lock the file and give someone a massive headache later on!!! I gave a fellow Titan guy a copy of my tune a while back for my 2012 Titan. Before long I was looking at a tune someone else had paid for and saw MY spark map in their tune. I did ALOT of work at the track tuning my spark map to get me off the line without alot of wheelspin and come on hard when the RPM and MPH started to increase. Didn't even anger me.

doctortuned
07-04-2014, 02:59 AM
It was a question.
I started tuning 16 years ago. Now 5 others local are tuning. It does get to me when I redo there work and see some of my stuff in there. They don't understand each vehicle is different. I will work on the dyno and build a file. Then see it show up in another vehicle.
The good thing is If they want to program it elsewhere. Give them a key to unlock it. I would email them a factory file with the key code to unlock it.

Fast355
07-04-2014, 03:34 AM
It was a question.
I started tuning 16 years ago. Now 5 others local are tuning. It does get to me when I redo there work and see some of my stuff in there. They don't understand each vehicle is different. I will work on the dyno and build a file. Then see it show up in another vehicle.
The good thing is If they want to program it elsewhere. Give them a key to unlock it. I would email them a factory file with the key code to unlock it.

Sorry it just got to me after a few headaches I have had with locked PCMs.

doctortuned
07-04-2014, 04:30 AM
imo If and when I have a locked pcm. I don't mind starting fresh. It sucks for the customer having to buy a new computer. Unless you can get it unlocked.

mekkis
08-02-2014, 04:52 AM
I gave a fellow Titan guy a copy of my tune a while back for my 2012 Titan.

UpRev?

Fast355
08-02-2014, 05:00 AM
UpRev?

Yep that would be the $$$$$ yet crappy and only custom tuning for OBD2 Nissans.

Currently using it to dial in the tune on my 2014 after putting headers on it.

mekkis
08-02-2014, 05:03 AM
Standard or Pro cable?

Fast355
08-02-2014, 05:23 AM
Standard or Pro cable?

Mine is standard but I know a pro tuner with Uprev Pro Tuning suite and cable.

1project2many
08-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Regarding Wester's, do you mean locked in the pcm, or just saved with a PW?

I did ALOT of work at the track tuning my spark map to get me off the line without alot of wheelspin and come on hard when the RPM and MPH started to increase.

I understand locking.
1) Customer paid for tuning, somehow someone else gets copy of unlocked tune, suddenly customer's pay for job is freebie tune for everyone else. Not fair to paying customer.
2) You work hard to build spark map, suddenly "Joe Tuner" shows up on Ebay getting $50 for magic spark map mod. You get nothing, yet Joe earns $$ while doing no substantial work.

Didn't even anger me.
Probably not worth getting angry over. But not too fair to your wallet and time. Some folks feel the time / money tradeoff should be honored so it's frustrating.
The market seems to be showing it's the level of detail to which the tuner pays attention, and the interest level to get it right that really define the value in a pay for tune. IMO locking to prevent unexpected prying but supplying customer with a means to unlock calibration is probably best way for the folks who feel like their work may be mis-used. Or do some "real" work and write a truly custom calibration!

Montecarlodrag
08-02-2014, 11:55 PM
I have dealt with locks for a long time, they are a PITA
However, I prefer to have a lock so nobody copies or messes with my work. When a locked PCM gets to my shop I will gladly start over than messing with an unknown tune.
There are amateur tooners popping everywhere, they think because they have tuning software they can tune a car. Most of them know nothing about a car let alone tuning, but they advertise and have ridiculously low prices.
When somebody gets something for free, He/She will sell it very cheap, then the price will plummet. It is a known fact

The tunerlock is the only way to force those tooners to learn how to develop their own tunes. When they are forced to spend the time and money to learn, to practice with their own cars (if they even own one), buy equipment, buy books and dvds, read a lot. Then they will become real tuners and will not want their work copied and sold cheap.

The information is out there, you just have to spend the time and money to find it, learn and apply it. If you are too lazy or don't want to spend a dime, you should not be tuning. I spend like 4 hours a day studying and reading, I have spent thousands of dollars in books and courses, many thousands more in equipment. I'm not thrilled when somebody sells copies of my work, that's why I lock all the PCMs I tune.

A locked PCM may be a headache for the car owner but how would I know, nobody has complained yet or asked for unlock.

Hog
08-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Wester's GMT was designed from its onset as a more secure program TC2 and GMT are close, but not exactly the same. The 2 company owners did work for one another at one time. Jet DST, TC2 and Westers GT are similar to each other. IIRC they were written by the same person, with some VDF's done by another.
You can lock TC2 files with the Tunercats Dealer kits.

peace
Hog

doctortuned
08-06-2014, 02:21 AM
How do you lock with a dealer kit?

roughneck427
08-06-2014, 06:50 PM
I just finished unlocking one took me 4 days the guy was a dick and wouldn't give us the key all it was is a swap vats and emissions delete. I can see if it was a cammed or F/I deal to protect work but this was lame.I found the key then used EFI live to assign it a stock key I didn't have to license it to use that feature and you can lock them using the same deal.

Montecarlodrag
08-13-2014, 05:36 AM
I asked to TC and was told OBD2 software does not have lock capabilities. So how are people locking PCMs with TC?

roughneck427
08-13-2014, 06:23 AM
I asked to TC and was told OBD2 software does not have lock capabilities. So how are people locking PCMs with TC?

I use a program i aquired and EFIlive to unlock them to assign a stock key maybe the vin tc vin match is the only thing i see or custom encrypted files but definatly not a lock.

The dealer version of the WinFlash OBDII program is a fully functional version that can read and program and all the vehicles currently supported by the OBDII Tuner program. The dealer version of the program differs in that it does not allow the vehicle's VIN to be changed and when programming a PCM the VIN in the calibration file must match the VIN currently stored in the PCM that's being programmed. This prevents the customer from using the calibration on a vehicle other than the intended one.

If requested, the dealer version of the program can be set to only accept encrypted calibration files that you encrypt with a unique encryption key so your calibration files can not be used with the standard versions of the OBDII Tuner or WinFlash OBDII programs.

Montecarlodrag
08-13-2014, 06:38 AM
I don't know which version of TC I have, but I can flash and change VINs without restrictions.

I sent you a PM Roughneck

Hog
08-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Roughneck posted about the "dealer kit" I was referring to.

To can change VINS ad nauseum with all TC2 units.

peace
Hog