PDA

View Full Version : $E6 ~ $OE ~ $OD ~ $31 ~ $42 VE Fixer Spread Sheet

dave w
11-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Try using the attached Excel spreadsheet for fixing VE tables. The spreadsheet includes the older '7747 and the newer TBI PCM with $OE, $E6, $OD, $31. Copy / Paste the running averages from the TunerPro RT BLM History Tables. Compared to other VE Fixers, the attached spreadsheet is simple to use and will get the VE about 90% ~ 95% accurate. The attached spreadsheet will work with freeware OpenOffice.org.

dave w

EagleMark
11-24-2011, 06:21 AM
I know you have a lot of work into this and thanks for sharing! :happy:

Since your an Excel wiz how about a lesson on how to run it?

I was just playing with it in the $42 section and saw the changes it was making by just changing the numbers in the top box. I am excell ileterate... but it looks like you enter your recorded BLMs in top box and hit enter and get the correction. But do you first need to enter your VE in? then?

dave w
11-24-2011, 06:30 AM
It doesn't matter which is copied pasted first, VE Table or BLM Average.

dave w

EagleMark
11-24-2011, 06:38 AM
So you have to insert the VE table from the chip your working with, and the BLMs from the data recorded. Will it do the entire table or one by one?

dave w
11-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Mark, You are correct. The VE Table will be from the current chip being used to log with, and the BLM's are from the data log. The Excel sheet will update as soon as a cell, or group of cells (VE / BLM) is changed.

There are short cut key strokes that help. The entire Tuner Pro VE table can be copied (once high lighted blue) with the keyboard keys Ctrl+C and then pasted into the excel spreadsheet with the keyboard keys Ctrl+V. The BLM's can be copied, but only one RPM row at a time, for example all the 800 RPM BLM cells (once high lighted blue) can be copied (including the blank ones) with keyboard keys Ctrl+C and then pasted into the 800 RPM BLM cells of the spreadsheet using Ctrl+V.

dave w

dave w
11-24-2011, 02:45 PM
The spreadsheet does not remove AE / PE or sort Open Loop / Closed Loop data. Before starting the recording of the data log make sure the the ECM / PCM is in closed loop. When driving and data logging, try to avoid AE / PE modes.

dave w

EagleMark
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
That works great on the $42 side, tried it out yesterday on a already tuned rig. Even though BLMs were very close it still adjusted them or I should say fine tuned! :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed was when entering BLM numbers in the 400 RPM row they came up red? Still worked, but all the others were black.

dave w
11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
The excel spreadsheet will average the old VE with the BLM / 128 formula. I had noticed in most tuning, the BLM / 128 formula would over correct the new VE. I added a step in the spreadsheet to half step the difference from the old VE and calculated VE (BLM / 128) value to make the new VE. I might have set the cell format font color red on the 400 RPM.

dave w

ninerscout
03-23-2012, 05:35 AM
I am new to tuning. What BLM table do I use? Narrow Avg, Narrow Avg 10, Wide Avg, or Wide Avg 10? Narrow Correction 10 or Wide Correction 10.

Thanks in advance,
Ninerscout

dave w
03-23-2012, 05:52 AM
I am new to tuning. What BLM table do I use? Narrow Avg, Narrow Avg 10, Wide Avg, or Wide Avg 10? Narrow Correction 10 or Wide Correction 10.

Thanks in advance,
Ninerscout

The spreadsheet is set up for TunerPro RT with .adx files that have histogram averages. Most likely the WinALDL Wide Avg will work OK with the spreadsheet, I'm not 100% sure.

dave w

EagleMark
03-23-2012, 06:58 AM
If your still using WinALDL I think the program is called ALDL to Bin. It will take your log and do the corrections to VE tables for you. It's been years since I used it. But Dave had posted it up in another thread recently.

ninerscout
03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I have Tuner pro RT and I the current adx file. Do I use the running average in the BLM history? Is histogram and history table the same thing?

Ninerscout

EagleMark
03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I just checked one and history average and running average come out the same, I don't know what the difference is in the 2 options.

Yes history gram and history table refer to same thing.

PJG1173
03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I just checked one and history average and running average come out the same, I don't know what the difference is in the 2 options.

Yes history gram and history table refer to same thing.

the history averarge and the running average are two different things. the history average is based off of how many data records you set it to retain. the running average is based off of all data collected for that data point. the history average in my adx is set for 10 so when I get a good size log, the two averages are very different. if you switch view to history count you will see how many datapoints are being averaged for each cell. this value can be edited in the ADX for each specific history table (histogram)

EagleMark
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Ah! Good info! I change all my history tables from 10 to 100 so that's probably why I saw no difference... 10 is just not enough, but I guess a purpose could be found.

ninerscout
04-06-2012, 05:00 AM
I have logged data and now ready to use the spread sheet. Which "Insert New Near Idle VE Table to Tuner Pro" Correction Factor with or without Averaged BLM Tables. I am pretty sure I figured it out. I used with Averaged BLM Tables.

Thanks,
Ninerscout

dave w
04-06-2012, 06:24 AM
I have logged data and now ready to use the spread sheet. Which "Insert New Near Idle VE Table to Tuner Pro" Correction Factor with or without Averaged BLM Tables. I am pretty sure I figured it out. I used with Averaged BLM Tables.

Thanks,
Ninerscout

I think I need some additional information to help out. I think your TBI is before 1993? There are two TBI ECM's used from 1987 ~ 1992, 1227747 / 1228747. There is a huge difference between the VE tables used on the 1st generation TBI computers. The Near Idle / Off Idle tables were on PCM's from 1993 ~ 1995.

Let me know what you have, then I can better answer the question.

dave w

EagleMark
04-06-2012, 06:56 AM
There's little tabs on bottom, one to left is for 1227747 $42. I think Dave put that in for me... Then near Idle and off Idle for the newer PCMs. I love it, have used them all now. Great work Dave!

Tips! When you highlight all cells in TunerPro History Table theres no way to copy, you must keyboard CTRL C to copy. Can also highlight all cells in the VE spreadsheet and CTRL V for paste or right click paste. A box will open and want to know how to paste, just click Tab and OK.

When you open your VE table in TunerPro you can do it the same way with keyboard but there you can Copy and Paste too.

Just play with it, if you mess it up just close it and it will ask if you want to save changes and say NO, then reopen.

ninerscout
04-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I have both the 7747 and 8747 computers. I am currently using the 7747 since it looks like it has more support than the 8747. I am new to fuel injection and want to start simple. Is the 8747 better? I know it is newer since I took it out of a 1990. I played around with the spread sheet and Tuner Pro, it looks like I am doing it correctly. I am using the $42 VE Correction Table and pasting the Table at the bottom Correction Factor With Averaged BLM Tables in Tuner Pro. My BLM log is getting better with each chip I burn. I am also have some questions about the data logging but I will start a new thread in the Tuner Pro section.

Thanks
Ninerscout

dave w
04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
The '7747 is a good ECM and uses a two VE tables, one table to 3200 RPM and the other VE table is an adder table. The '8747 has one VE table which goes up to 4800 RPM. There are pro's and con's to both ECM's. I favor the '7747 because of the software that is available and lots of people know how to tune the '7747. EagleMark has very good information on the '8747 here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?521-1228747-ECM-Information-4F&highlight=1228747

For the more experienced tuner the '8747, having only one VE table to 4800 RPM is VERY NICE!:thumbsup:

dave w

EagleMark
04-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Well there's lots of rumors that there is no def files for 8747 which we know is not true. It's just as good an ECM as the 7747 and I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

But comparing the definitions the 7747 $42 is way more documented and I have compiled anything and everything and then some into the XDF and ADX for it because I have owned a factory 1227747 vehicle for 8 years. If I owned a 8747 I would probably put the time and effort into those files as well.

96lt4c4
08-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Is there any way to force the PCM to stay out of PE and AE for easier VE tuning?

Never mind I figured it out

set the TPS PE tables to 100%
and zero out the TPS and MAP AE tables

EagleMark
08-12-2012, 08:01 PM
You might not like drivability or get good data with no AE.

96lt4c4
08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
I will leave it on then.

dave w
08-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Is there any way to force the PCM to stay out of PE and AE for easier VE tuning?

Never mind I figured it out

set the TPS PE tables to 100%
and zero out the TPS and MAP AE tables

There is the option of using Excel to "Sort" the AE Active & PE Active data from the exported Excel spreadsheet. That's kind of an advanced class lesson for using Microsoft Excel.

dave w

EagleMark
08-13-2012, 01:06 AM
What is the history average table for?

jaber
10-16-2014, 04:17 PM
If my BPW is @ 110, will this spreadsheet still work, or is there a way to?

Im running a 7.4 TBI, 7747, on a Caddy 7.0 engine. I am close, but wondered if this would still work on my tune?

dave w
10-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes, you will need to use the '7747 sheet to tune the VE Table.

dave w

350yj
02-04-2015, 07:08 AM
I have logged data into Tuner Pro and would like to know if I should be using the "Without Averaged BLM Tables" or "With Averaged BLM Tables."

I have a 1988 ASDX bin and $42 XDF file in Tuner Pro.

--
Kris

dave w
02-04-2015, 08:53 AM
I have logged data into Tuner Pro and would like to know if I should be using the "Without Averaged BLM Tables" or "With Averaged BLM Tables."

I have a 1988 ASDX bin and $42 XDF file in Tuner Pro.

--
Kris

Without average is - course tune.

With average is - fine tune.

If most of the BLM averages are more than 138 or less than 118 use course tune.

dave w

350yj
02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Great, thank you for the reply. I recently bought a 1990 Jeep Wrangler that had a carb'd 350 Small Block out of a 1986 Corvette. A local shop installed a fuel injection wiring harness from painless and GM TBI from a 1987 C1500. The motor feels to have a mild cam. The cam and heads are of unknown origin. The doner truck had the same motor and a manual transmission. I was unhappy with the throttle response and fuel mileage.

Once I have the fuel map sorted and my BLM's where they should be, I will start troubleshooting the stalling/backfiring issue I am experimenting.

--
Kris

dave w
02-04-2015, 08:02 PM
BLM averages will vary on a daily basis. One day things look good, then the next day thing look not a good. A BLM average of 128 +/- 5 (133 ~ 123) can be considered acceptable.

It's possible the stalling a backing firing is due to not enough / to much Acceleration Enrichment (AE) or Power Enrichment (PE). The best way to tune or figure out if AE / PE is to lean or rich is with a Wide Band O2 (WBO2) sensor.

dave w

350yj
02-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I am wondering if their is some IAC adjustment needed in the tune. It will only stall if I drive with a cold motor in the cold. As I live in the Northeast it is pretty cold, around 0 degrees this morning. Once the motor is warm, it drives fine. I have not been able to get it to backfire after loading in the altered fuel map this morning.

--
Kris

dave w
02-06-2015, 03:06 AM
This link : http://www.gmcmidwestclassics.org/Web%20pages/Tuning%20the%20TBI.pdf can be very helpful for Tuning the TBI.

I adjust the IAC differently than the instruction in the link. I use TunerPro RT to watch the IAC step as I make the IAC adjustments on a fully warmed up engine.

dave w

350yj
02-12-2015, 07:07 AM
So I have been tuning the main VE table for about a week now, making adjustments from driving back and forth to work (about an hour). Some of the cells are a little outrageous, IMO. Is there something I should be doing before going about datalogging for tuning the VE table? Disabling closed loop or zeroing out the Adder table?

I have attached my most recent bin file for review.

*Edit*
I am using the $42 mask.

--
Kris

350yj
02-26-2015, 06:33 AM
I installed the wideband, the gauge typically stays between 14 and 15. This makes me believe there is some setting for the fuel somewhere that I am missing, causing my VE table numbers to be high.

--
Kris

dave w
02-26-2015, 06:47 AM
I installed the wideband, the gauge typically stays between 14 and 15. This makes me believe there is some setting for the fuel somewhere that I am missing, causing my VE table numbers to be high.

--
Kris

I think AFR's between 14.0:1 ~ 15.0:1 are good.

dave w

zuk1972
01-31-2017, 03:26 AM
In the past the php file autopopulated but now its asking what type of file [see screenshot] can someone please help me figure out how to get the ve fixer working ? Its been a long time and im sorry I just am struggling wit getting this to work again

350yj
01-31-2017, 03:36 AM
In the past the php file autopopulated but now its asking what type of file [see screenshot] can someone please help me figure out how to get the ve fixer working ? Its been a long time and im sorry I just am struggling wit getting this to work againPHP is used for dynamic websites. You will need to download the excel file again from here.

dave w
01-31-2017, 03:40 AM
Would I be correct in thinking you are trying to open the spreadsheet with Open Office? ... dave w

zuk1972
01-31-2017, 03:51 AM
yes open office before I thought it would say open with open office but it isn't doing that now I download and save the fixer when I try to open with open office it has that filter with all those selections to choose from it never used to do that it would automatically open [I had to clean my pc recently so its all fresh and I haven't used daves spreadsheet in over a year I have been dragging my feet with a new engine last year and recently finally getting a wbo2 so im trying to get the truck dialed in as soon as it gets warn in Ohio

zuk1972
02-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Okay i started to try the spreadsheet i got it to load but i noticed the $e6 history has 55,65,75,85,95 cells but this spreadsheet skips those cells .What do you do with the extra cells not on spreadsheet?

dave w
02-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Okay i started to try the spreadsheet i got it to load but i noticed the $e6 history has 55,65,75,85,95 cells but this spreadsheet skips those cells .What do you do with the extra cells not on spreadsheet? ... The extra cell are not used in the fuel tables. ... see attached screen shot. ... dave w

zuk1972
02-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Okay i was thinking i copy pasted the whole history into the spreadsheed and then copy pasted the whole correction .i guess i would only copy one column at a time that applies.Thank you dave

kilohertz
12-23-2021, 07:39 PM
I have a question re the Main Fueling table in $42 vs the history BLM table.

There are 2 Main Fueling Tables, one is called "corrected" and has the column and rows reversed. Both the spreadsheet and the uncorrected Fuel table and the history all use the "Un-corrected" fuel table. Does it matter? Do we just ignore the "corrected" fuel table or do we need to manually enter the values into the correct cells in the "corrected" Fuel Table?

Thanks Dave.

Cheers

dave w
12-23-2021, 09:22 PM
I have a question re the Main Fueling table in $42 vs the history BLM table.

There are 2 Main Fueling Tables, one is called "corrected" and has the column and rows reversed. Both the spreadsheet and the uncorrected Fuel table and the history all use the "Un-corrected" fuel table. Does it matter? Do we just ignore the "corrected" fuel table or do we need to manually enter the values into the correct cells in the "corrected" Fuel Table?

Thanks Dave.

Cheers

Please see pictures below.

dave w

kilohertz
12-23-2021, 10:36 PM
Please see pictures below.

dave w

Well don't I feel stupid. I don't know how many times I have read the comments in the last few weeks but when it comes time to do something, the old brain just doesn't always click.

As always, Thanks Dave!

Merry Christmas

Cheers