PDA

View Full Version : Moates burn1 vs burn2

joegreen
07-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Hello. From what i can gather the burn1 is just a physically bigger version of the burn 2. If i can get a used burn1 for half the price of a burn 2 should i jump on it. Can the burn1 burn and read the same chips as the burn 2? I dont mind if its a little slower than the burn 2. Thanks

joegreen
07-01-2014, 05:49 AM
Alright i answered my own question " The Burn2 has the same features as the Burn1, only smaller and more compact."

The Burn2 is a revolutionary device that was designed with the automotive enthusiast in mind. it supports chips used in our products aimed at ECUs/ECMs from the late 80s and early 90s

So i guess my next question is what would be a good price to pay for a used burn1?

EagleMark
07-01-2014, 06:00 AM
You'd be lucky to even find any of this equipment for sale used, it just does not come up that often.

There are cheaper made in China chip burners, some don't even have cases, they are just an open board, the software is skechy and they are just hard to get used to tuning. If you want to take a chance with one take a look on ebay. I wouldn't...

Besides the Moates AutoProm I also have a Willem GQ-4X to do chips that the Moates Burn 2 does not cover, but it is not saving any money... the cheapest I would go is the Gq-3X which is about the same thing but open board, no case. Good software with these units. Here's the link, but if you look for their stuff on eBay it's a little cheaper...
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

Six_Shooter
07-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Honestly I wouldn't bother trying to find a Burn1 that someone is selling. I haven't seen one for sale for about a year and before that it was at least a few years. Burn2 on the other hand I have seen more frequently, but still not very often.

For a beginner I would recommend the Burn2, since it integrates so nicely with Tuner Pro, where the offsets and such are automatically set for you when you select the proper EEPROM and load the bin file. Using other programmers you need to do this manually.

Just as a for instance, I have a Willems GQ-3X, it works great, but I use my Burn2 or AutoProm more often when I'm programming an EEPROM for automotive use.

joegreen
07-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I have a burn 1 i can buy for half the price of a burn2 at the moment, that is a big savings for me. If the burn1 is the same as a burn2 just bigger shouldnt the offsets and such also be automatically applied like the burn 2. I am just trying to get a feel for the actual differences so i can make a quick buy. Also what would you guys think is a fair price for a used burn1.

joegreen
07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I ended up purchasing the burn1. Slowly on my way to chip burning, yay!