PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan!

d0nk3y
11-22-2011, 02:47 AM
My name is Scot.
I just recently got into playing around with GM TBI stuff - more as a way to make old vehicles a bit more fun / reliable. In the last few years I've finally established a place where I can work on things out of the cold & rain - and really have become interested in building and modifying vehicles. My current projects are a pair of old pickup trucks for my wife and I; I'm looking to put TBI in her truck and a computer-controlled quadrajet on mine. :D
I just picked up a Moates ALDU1 and have been working on a friend's SBC TBI conversion to get my feet wet. What a hoot! :rockon: especially with the 160 baud 1227747 :mad1: :laugh:
I'm a powertrain controls / calibrator and work with a bit different stuff, but dang, this tinkering is addicting! I've been reading through / lurking in a few different forums and have seen how everybody that tackled this and did an incredible job! You guys are true hotrodders! :thumbsup: I hope to learn more about the older TBI systems here - I was almost sold on megasquirt, but then saw a post on thirdgen that opened my eyes / showed me how capable (and plentiful) the GM systems are!

I hope to contribute as much back as the benefit I get from this forum! :)

Scot

Six_Shooter
11-22-2011, 04:31 AM
:welcome:

I have to ask why on earth would you want to use a CCC Quadrajet?

Just go to TBI and be done with it. ;)

The CCC systems will be hard to find, and AFAIK, there are no definitions to tune them.

BTW, look at the 16197427 PCM upgrade for the TBI systems. 8192 baud datastream and a lot more capability than the '7747. ;)

d0nk3y
11-22-2011, 05:25 AM
LOL - the CCC; what will probably become apparent with the more I post is this: I ain't right in the head. :D A coworker has some code he's hacked for the 7427 that puts out a suitable PWM to control the primaries. I like the idea, and hope to keep it looking non-computer controlled. :) My "stretch goal" is to convert a tri-power setup to TBI using the original-type carbs as throttle bodies.

I'm currently stuck with the 747 as it's the ECU in my buddy's truck - and I haven't taken apart a spare 747 to make a 747-to-427 translation harness. I think I'll do that this week - I'll at least get faster data acquisition and I can transfer the changes over to the calibration for the $42 code. I will certainly use the 427 for my own stuff. :jfj: I'm with ya all the way, there. :)

I've read alot of what you've written Sixxer; you're one of the guys that helped steer me away from a MS setup. :happy: I also have a perverse dream of putting a 4.2L GM inline in my wife's truck - something that would be pretty kickass in a Z, I might add. :)

And since I mentioned them, here's our trucks:
My wife's 1964 C10
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/scot_douglas/1964%20C-10/DSC_0530.jpg

My 1966 C10 (that is about 15% 1966 after I got my hands on it)
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/scot_douglas/1966%20C-10/DSC_0518.jpg

dave w
11-22-2011, 06:16 AM

The '7747 ECM is a good mule, in comparison the '427 PCM is a Thoroughbred race horse! Don't go racing with the '7747!

dave w

EagleMark
11-22-2011, 07:52 PM
:welcome2:

Sweet ol trucks!

As far as the CCC that's going to be way harder to find parts for and get running. If you had a CCC car to start they already have a few parts needed to convert to TBI. I've done a few.

JeepsAndGuns
11-23-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm currently stuck with the 747 as it's the ECU in my buddy's truck - and I haven't taken apart a spare 747 to make a 747-to-427 translation harness. I think I'll do that this week - I'll at least get faster data acquisition and I can transfer the changes over to the calibration for the $42 code. I will certainly use the 427 for my own stuff.

No, dont make that adapter, its a royal pain in the butt to make. Trust me, I made one. Once you plug the 7427 in and run it, you wont want to go back to the 7747. I made that adapter, plugged it in and took a test drive. I never plugged the 7747 back in. I removed the adapter and removed the pins from the 7747 connectors and put them in the 7427 connectors and never looked back. Took probably 4 times as long to make the adapter than it did to re pin the connectors. :laugh:

d0nk3y
11-24-2011, 03:34 AM
No, dont make that adapter, its a royal pain in the butt to make. Trust me, I made one. Once you plug the 7427 in and run it, you wont want to go back to the 7747. I made that adapter, plugged it in and took a test drive. I never plugged the 7747 back in. I removed the adapter and removed the pins from the 7747 connectors and put them in the 7427 connectors and never looked back. Took probably 4 times as long to make the adapter than it did to re pin the connectors. :laugh:

I'm going to use the 7427 for my own projects. :rockon:
I'm just going to make the adapter to get faster data acquisition in vehicles setup with 7747 ecus. Seems I know lots of people with modified TBI engines that don't quite run right. :rofl: When I go trash-pickin at the local JY, I don't want to have to always be on the lookout for a 7427 for a "Buddy", lol! I'm having a helluva time tuning this latest truck; it's a "mystery" 350 with a huge cam and a stock stall speed converter. Guy bought it from someone else and got tired of it flooding out on hills (offroading), so he paid $$$ for a TBI harness and put a TBI and manifold on it then wondered why it wouldn't run. :mad1: That dang 747 gives me a lil bit of data every 1.2 seconds, whether I need it or not ;) and it's just not fast enough to catch the transients.

Anywhoo, I liberated connectors from a 747 box today and I'm just siting down to make up my excel sheet for listing the circuits & location for each ECU. After that, just some swapping of wires, lol.

dave w
11-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Try using the attached Excel spreadsheet for fixing VE tables. The spreadsheet includes the older '7747 and the newer TBI PCM with $OE, $E6, $OD, $31. Copy / Paste the running averages from the TunerPro RT BLM History Tables. Compared to other VE Fixers, the attached spreadsheet is simple to use and will get the VE about 90% ~ 95% accurate.

dave w

EagleMark
11-24-2011, 05:48 AM
I'm going to use the 7427 for my own projects. :rockon:
I'm just going to make the adapter to get faster data acquisition in vehicles setup with 7747 ecus. Seems I know lots of people with modified TBI engines that don't quite run right. :rofl: When I go trash-pickin at the local JY, I don't want to have to always be on the lookout for a 7427 for a "Buddy", lol! I'm having a helluva time tuning this latest truck; it's a "mystery" 350 with a huge cam and a stock stall speed converter. Guy bought it from someone else and got tired of it flooding out on hills (offroading), so he paid $$$ for a TBI harness and put a TBI and manifold on it then wondered why it wouldn't run. :mad1: That dang 747 gives me a lil bit of data every 1.2 seconds, whether I need it or not ;) and it's just not fast enough to catch the transients.

Anywhoo, I liberated connectors from a 747 box today and I'm just siting down to make up my excel sheet for listing the circuits & location for each ECU. After that, just some swapping of wires, lol.So you will have an adapter to plug into a 7747 and use a 97427 to record data to tune with? That sounds like a cool idea. Here's a link with the pin by pin change needed:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?173-7747-RIP-ECM-to-427-PCM-Swap-with-Wiring-Pinout-Directions!&highlight=16197427

d0nk3y
11-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Dave W - thank you! I'll check that out!

EagleMark - You just gave me exactly what I was going to construct in excel: Thank you very much!

~Scot

EagleMark
11-24-2011, 06:23 AM
I thought that was what you were up too! No need to re-invent the wheel. You'll find we all work and learn well from each other here! :thumbsup:

d0nk3y
12-06-2011, 03:48 AM
:mad1:

Have things wired up per the pinouts and not seeing enough over serial data line; i.e. RPM would be nice. :laugh: Just went though and repinned the harness and checked for shorts and missing wires when I find:

I would also like to mention that the orange Serial Data wire needs to be
relocated from the top row, Pin "E" to the lower row, Pin "M". You will also
need to scan the vehicle like a 1993-1995 G-Series Van, C-Series Truck,
S-Series Blazer (http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Streetbeatcustoms/Ragtops-Sunroofs/Blazer-Special-S-Series-Sliding-Ragtop/557559/), etc with Auto transmission.

So, I wired in a separate ALDL into my translation harness - figure if TunerPro is using a 16197427 adx, the serial line should be in the right spot. :homer: I just need to go back out and check out some voltages, but it's too dang cold and dark outside. :D
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/scot_douglas/Donkeys Speed Shop/DSC_0592.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/scot_douglas/Donkeys Speed Shop/DSC_0591.jpg

How's that for STEALTH? :innocent2:

dave w
12-06-2011, 05:28 AM
I've recently learned, that the 700R4 TCC control wire is Pin E11 NOT E10!!

dave w

EagleMark
12-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Dave can you make the wiring changes needed in the thread on the conversion? It was your write up I copied over here. I think you found another issue before but not sure.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?173-1227747-to-16197427-Conversion-PCM-Swap-with-Wiring-Pinout-Directions!

I also split this thread because it turned into a cool topic.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?359-1227747-to-16197427-Conversion-Box!

dave w
12-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Dave can you make the wiring changes needed in the thread on the conversion? It was your write up I copied over here. I think you found another issue before but not sure.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?173-1227747-to-16197427-Conversion-PCM-Swap-with-Wiring-Pinout-Directions!

I also split this thread because it turned into a cool topic.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?359-1227747-to-16197427-Conversion-Box!

I changed the notes to show E11 for TCC.

dave w