PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 82 corvette crossfire ecm upgrade to a 16197427 BPSA no clue

ALdo_45030
02-26-2014, 04:34 AM
I basically know what i have , no idea if it is good or how to tell. Would like to replace original ecm with above ecm. Also have wiring harness need to lear how and what i need to make this happen. Any help in English a newbie can understand would be greatly appreciated.

steveo
02-26-2014, 06:17 AM
what do you have for wiring?

take some pictures?

ALdo_45030
02-26-2014, 08:00 PM
It appears to be a wiring harness for a truck.
Questions i have are
1. can existing sensors be used? IE. TPS,coolant temp, oxy sensors.
2 from what i know of the 82 ecm there is not a crank sensor. How do i beat that problem?

JeepsAndGuns
02-27-2014, 02:39 AM
from what i know of the 82 ecm there is not a crank sensor. How do i beat that problem?

The 16197427 does not use a crankshaft position sensor, so no issues there.

Six_Shooter
02-27-2014, 03:00 AM
BPSA lists as being from a 16156903 ECM, not the 16197427.

I can not find any information on this ECM to know what it is (the 16156903).

Recheck the BCC (the 4 letter code) to be sure you have it correct.

the 7427 will run the crossfire without issue. I have one running a crossfire in a '71 Chev pick up with a 4L60E behind the 305.

You will basically wire it as it would be in the donor truck, but parallel the IAC motors, and split the injector harness to each TBI. There is only one TPS, so that's pretty self explanatory, the dizzy gets wired colour for colour, so that should be pretty straight forward, the CTS is pretty straight forward, and everything else should be as well. Depending on the vehicle this is going into, will determine whether you remove the trans controls from the harness or not. When I ran the '7427 with a non-e-trans is was only for a brief time until I was able to swap the '7427 into the truck, so I didn't worry about the park/nuetral connection. I have studied the diagrams what the ECM sees when each gear is selected and believe that the ECM needs something to mimic this through a set of switches and/or relays, to be 100% correct. I know most people don't worry about this. A VSS is STRONGLY recommended though, and depending on what trans you are running you may need to grab and aftermarket VSS and use a DRAC to get a proper signal to the ECM.

steveo
02-27-2014, 06:06 AM
i'm very interested in this project, always wanted to screw around with a crossfire engine, and swap pcms since obviously the original is horrible and untuneable.

stick with it, i really want to see how it goes for you.

ALdo_45030
02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
After further review last night the harness i have is not from the truck, It is from an 82 Z28. I have to find a wiring harness now. I will take a pic of the ecm i hope to use so it can be id'd correctly heck maybe i typed it wrong. My tranny uses a TV cable so i don't think it has any electric shift issue.
so the sensors stay? can i just splice into existing harness.

ALdo_45030
03-01-2014, 05:56 AM
After further review last night the harness i have is not from the truck, It is from an 82 Z28. I have to find a wiring harness now. I will take a pic of the ecm i hope to use so it can be id'd correctly heck maybe i typed it wrong. My tranny uses a TV cable so i don't think it has any electric shift issue.
so the sensors stay? can i just splice into existing harness.

I priced out an EBL an its not in my budget. Can i run an ecm from a 1994 tuck TBI in my vette until i save the cash to tune it. That is assuming i purchase the correct ecm and prom for a V8 TBI.

Six_Shooter
03-01-2014, 06:24 AM
I priced out an EBL an its not in my budget. Can i run an ecm from a 1994 tuck TBI in my vette until i save the cash to tune it. That is assuming i purchase the correct ecm and prom for a V8 TBI.

You can, but it won't run well without tuning for the application, at the very least for the mechanical combination of non-E trans, and other differerences between the two applications.

you can modify the existing harness you have to suit your application.