PDA

View Full Version : Digging up old threads

Woods
02-22-2014, 03:48 AM
How does everyone feel about posting a question on and old thread, which has relevance to what is going on with current tune, and or issues? Seen many posts on forums flaming people for bringing back the dead? Just curious how this forum works.

Thanks

dave w
02-22-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm OK with a new question on an old thread.

dave w

1project2many
02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
I've experienced those flames myself. I usually try and include a note to let people know I'm resurrecting an old thread. It's amazing how many people will start replying to the OP of a thread that's three years old.

Six_Shooter
02-22-2014, 07:54 AM
It depends on just how relevant it is to the old thread.

Most times I prefer a new thread, that cites the old thread, I.E.:

"Statement of issue.

This thread has a similar issue as mine: www.oldthreadonthesite.com/showthread.php?2898Ye%20Olde%20Thread

Key differences.

Ending question/statements."

The only time that I don't mind new replies to old threads is usually when it's the OP making an update to the thread. Any other time a new thread seems more appropriate.

EagleMark
02-23-2014, 06:31 AM
We really try to avoid any Flamming here... I think a lot of old threads coming back with new posts is people found them in a search and never even looked at the date? Just happened to come up with the Key Word Search they used?

Unless you find something wrong with where the old thread left us all to think? It would be better to start new and reference to old thread.

lionelhutz
02-23-2014, 07:18 PM
I agree with the others, it just creates a mess when a new question is tacked onto an old thread. It's even worse when a new question is added to a current thread and people start trying to answer both questions at the same time. Start your own question thread and link the thread for reference.

It would be OK to add to an old thread if you have new info to add.

User Nameless
04-03-2014, 03:04 AM
We really try to avoid any Flamming here... I think a lot of old threads coming back with new posts is people found them in a search and never even looked at the date? Just happened to come up with the Key Word Search they used?

Unless you find something wrong with where the old thread left us all to think? It would be better to start new and reference to old thread.
I have accidentally posted on some old threads due to a the date format displayed. At a glance, it could look like day 14 of year 2012 or day 12 of year 2014. While absorbing massive amounts of technical knowledge left behind by others, the eyes go fuzzy from too much time looking at the screen and sometimes my mind will just go dyslexic on me after the blurry vision. There are also people who are new to forums and the Standard Operating Procedure they incorporate.