02-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Hello and Welcome. :welcome:

dave w
02-20-2014, 06:48 AM
:welcome:

dave w

WoodButcher
02-21-2014, 05:29 AM
Thanks guys. I here to learn a bit for my hot rod, a '93 Safari I'm going to slide a 350 under.
The motor will be rebuilt by my ex- brother in law in the next month or so and I'm doing the TBI and transmission.
I'm told this is the place to learn about TBI.:thumbsup:

I can't lie, I found you through a web search for adjustable fuel pressure regulator and needed to register to see the pics,,,:ttwwop:

Yeah well, I have my netbook hooked up to my '93 and have TunerPro RT and Datamaster 0D 3.4.1 but I'm fluent in neither so when I get the 350 in I'll need resources and this place seems to be a good one.
Mostly you can find me at astrosafari as I'm an astroholic. Here is a thread on my '93 if your interested- http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=17922
Thanks for having me!

dave w
02-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Pictures of something fun to look at?

dave w

WoodButcher
02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Lol,,, yours Dave? pretty stuff.
For me that would be only a "lookin' at car", sweet work.
I figure I must have a cloud following me a few hours behind, if I wash a car or tear open a roof it is bound to rain or snow. My work truck I've taken to washing on rainy days. It saves time in toweling dry and I don't feel bad that my new wash is spotted...

edit- that was your post about the adjustable fpr...

dave w
02-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Lol,,, yours Dave? pretty stuff.
For me that would be only a "lookin' at car", sweet work.
I figure I must have a cloud following me a few hours behind, if I wash a car or tear open a roof it is bound to rain or snow. My work truck I've taken to washing on rainy days. It saves time in toweling dry and I don't feel bad that my new wash is spotted...

edit- that was your post about the adjustable fpr...

No not mine. It's a RamJet 502 with the MEFI computer I'm helping out with. I originally posted the Cadillac pics in this tread...http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?2766-GM-MEFI-Computer-Crate-502-Engine-Computer

The adjustable fuel pressure regulator thread...http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1475-Vacuum-Adjustable-TBI-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator

I'm thinking the vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator would work better with the 30 psi 454 spring.

dave w

brian617
02-21-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking the vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator would work better with the 30 psi 454 spring.

dave w

I'd really like to find the 30psi spring and the marine spring bucket if someone could help find them.

dave w
02-21-2014, 11:46 PM
I'd really like to find the 30psi spring and the marine spring bucket if someone could help find them.
PM sent.

dave w

WoodButcher
02-22-2014, 07:52 PM
That sounds interesting Dave unfortunately ATM probably outside my realm but I sure would like more info.

You see I am not a mechanic, I've done minor repair, gone as far as the lower intake gasket of my '97 4.3 and maintenance of all my vehicles throughout my years (I'm 52) but for the most part I'm a parts changer. I've swapped transmissions and rear ends, steering boxes and suspensions and as a kid help change a few engines but still never really learned the internal workings. My knowledge comes from needing a ride and not being able to afford someone else's services, thanks to the web and sites like this I have been able to expand my abilities but I am still quite limited
My plan for the '93 I have are very basic. I bought a donor van w/ the 350 of the same year pulled the motor, harness and trans, all should swap with minimal alterations. The motor mounts, and accessories, I'll buy headers, build the exhaust and a new radiator w/ elec fans.
The motor goes to my BIL to be rebuilt, I my eyes this guy is a top wrench, a GM hot rodder for years he has built some serious engines, has the facility, tools and know how but most of all I trust him. He should be starting in a week or two and we'll see what goes into the motor after it has been stripped and dipped.
My goal is like every other hot rodder, I want the biggest, baddest motor for free.:laugh:
Well, I've been talking with him about this for a few years, he did one into an S-10 and if IRC it was about $6,000 but it was a full on race motor, way out of my budget. I'll do the install here at home but again I have my limitations.
I need to pass emissions here in CT, I want to avoid getting a chip for the present, for now just an added complication and cost. What my BIL spoke about was a complete rebuild w/ upgraded parts, pistons, crank and cam, a step or two up from stock but still within the limits of the stock chip for a starting budget around $2,500 including his labor. It sounds pretty good to me.
This is just for the engine rebuild and includes nothing for the install so I need to watch my nickels and dimes, it all adds up and for a carpenter in New England in winter things get pretty tight.
I'll do the ultimate TBI mod myself, it looks pretty easy and I plan to rebuild the trans myself. The 4L60E is fairly common and I've found several upgrade kits to be had. These are things I've never attempted before but with the abundance of reference material available I don't see any big problems.
I need to get a gas tank for my welder and learn to burn clean welds, I've got the exhaust and motor mounts to tackle in this swap but also want to do some cosmetic goodies like shortening the rear bumper and hide the hitch. Like every one else the list goes on and on.

As I said in the first line I would like that info about the vacuum afpr, t may be worth doing now if it isn't to complex for my feeble old mind...:rolleye:
With luck I'll have this going by summer.

dave w
02-22-2014, 08:43 PM
From my personal experience, a stock engine works great with a stock chip.

In my humble opinion; for a non stock engine there is only ONE ultimate TBI modification required. See attached picture.:laugh:

dave w

WoodButcher
02-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Hey! hey hey!! I'm tellin' mom! just cause you're a mod doesn't mean you can troll!,,,,,,:rockon:
Yeah, in time I'll see if I can't find someone local to me willing to play for a modest sum otherwise I'll be forced to deal with mail order trolls!:innocent2:

Seriously though I've seen a thread or two where mail order was done but very few details. I know very little about chipping but it seems to me this is something best done hands on, am I right? done mail order there would be more guessing than fine tune, no?
What can I expect for costs?
IIRC I saw a web page from an outfit that traveled around to shows and events that would book an appointment with you in advance and the total cost was in the $300 range, does that sound right? would something like that be worthwhile? once their gone you don't have a shop to go to for adjustments and tweaks or can these be done after the fact with a cable?
I'm an hour north of NYC so I should be able to find a local shop but honestly at this point I don't even know what to look for or avoid.

dave w
02-22-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't know what the local "Tuning" prices are in your area. Generally, OBD 1 / TBI is not well supported, compared to OBD II. For someone local to me, my TBI custom tune ranges in price from $175 ~ $250. Myself and others here at gearhead-efi.com have helped several members with remote tuning. The most important thing for anyone with a performance TBI engine is having the ability to data log.:thumbsup: The data log is how tuners like myself and others, figure out what corrections to make to the chip for the best possible performance. To data log only two pieces of hardware are required, Laptop and Serial Cable (which range in price from $45 ~ $70). The data logging software is available as freeware, but the $39 donation is greatly appreciated!

You already have a running / driving TBI vehicle? Maybe a good place to start would be with data logging the running / driving TBI vehicle you have on the road?

dave w

WoodButcher
02-23-2014, 01:21 AM
yep, yep, the 4.3 in my '93, OBD1. It runs fine now, I'm just putting a few more cubes under the hood.

I have my netbook hooked up to my '93 and have TunerPro RT and Datamaster 0D 3.4.1 but I'm fluent in neither

I need to do a little learnin' with it, get TunerPro up and running. I've got data Master logging but still I'm clueless.:jfj:
I'd like to blame it on Alzheimer's but that wouldn't fly. alcohol? nah,,, quit back in '95. hmm maybe I'm just lazy...

dave w
02-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Can you post the DataMaster log file (.uni)? I don't think your lazy, maybe need a study partner / mentor?

dave w

WoodButcher
02-23-2014, 03:11 AM
I just gave it a shot but the site said my attachment was to big. 2,173 KB
I'll be running up to Mom's tomorrow to bring her laundry and do her shopping so I'll get a smaller sample then. Shame you can't get this one as the egr code shows, dtc 32 if I'm right. Damn SES lights when I'm on the road but turns off on restart. Doesn't set a hard code.
Not that I plan to fix this engine but if someone at astrosafari needs it, it would be nice to know what goes on. It has 150K on it and blows a little smoke at first start of the day but other than that it's strong so she would be a good candidate for a quick rebuild.

dave w
02-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks for trying to attach the .uni file.

I just attached a 2.8 Meg .uni file, as a .zip file.

Right click the the file you want to zip.
Then scroll down to "Send To"
Then click "Compressed zip" ... Done
See screen shot sample.

The 2.8 Meg file became about .5 Meg which will attach.

I've also attached a screen shot of the Histogram of the attached .uni. Red is NOT GOOD! I think this file was recorded from a custom chip purchased from an ebay seller. (The file is about 5 years old) In all fairness to the custom chip ebay seller, I had the advantage of being with the vehicle. In all fairness to the ebay custom chip seller, the vehicle owner was skeptical of my services so it was a competition who provided the better correction using the same data log. My corrections worked out better than ebay chip seller. The vehicle owner returned his custom chip, and proceeded to use my services.

dave w

WoodButcher
02-23-2014, 07:42 PM
attached file

WoodButcher
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
again

damn netbook is slower than I am!

dave w
02-23-2014, 09:15 PM
again

damn netbook is slower than I am!

I played back the log, see attached screen shot. Overall, it's lean. Maybe the EGR is the cause of the lean condition?

If it was my vehicle, I'd either fix the EGR or disable the EGR in the PROM chip. If I decided to disable the EGR, I'd use an adapter board for the replacement PROM chip, see attached picture.

I'm thinking you are going to replace the engine soon, it might be OK to leave the EGR as is?

dave w

WoodButcher
02-24-2014, 02:03 AM
No, I won't bother to play with it. She runs good as is and passed emissions testing here in CT last summer.
I would like to play with the TunerPro program just to get familiar with it. When I swap to the 350 I'll simply need to use different files for start up, correct? Which program will suit my purposes better or maybe I should ask which program should I spend my time learning? I don't have much spare time to devote to this that is why I ask.

dave w
02-24-2014, 02:41 AM
No, I won't bother to play with it. She runs good as is and passed emissions testing here in CT last summer.
I would like to play with the TunerPro program just to get familiar with it. When I swap to the 350 I'll simply need to use different files for start up, correct? Which program will suit my purposes better or maybe I should ask which program should I spend my time learning? I don't have much spare time to devote to this that is why I ask.

TunerPro RT. Attached are some 1993 $E6 files to learn with. You can download the most current version of TunerPro RT here: http://tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

dave w

EagleMark
02-24-2014, 03:31 AM
And a quick tutorial to get you up to speed with TunerPro RT! Make sure you download the RT version or you won't get the data logging.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read!-)

WoodButcher
02-24-2014, 04:25 AM
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.
I've a fresh install of RT on the netbook, October 2013, but I'll reinstall. For some reason I couldn't get it started so I haven't played with it much. Those attachments are for the 4.3 six cylinder, right?

WoodButcher
11-09-2014, 01:44 AM
Hey Dave, Still watching?
I got the V8 in and running good. 350 from a 1993 Chevy G20 van, computer and bits of the harness all cobbled together. The engine is not a radical build, new from top to bottom, a roller cam replaced the flat tappet, new heads as the old were cracked. Headers and dual exhaust, "salad bowl" on the rebuilt TBI and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I took care of all the nuts and bolts, now it's time to tune. Which files do I need to go with RT for this engine?

In my signature is the link to the build thread, it's a novella that hasn't been finished.

Edit- I should have posted this as well-

edit again-
I found this,
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?336-16168625-PCM-Information-E6

another edit,
I found the bins, none labeled for me exactly.
The donor had a 4l60e w/ a 3:42 rear, my safari is also the 4l60e but w/ a 3:73 rear end.

final edit-
The question, what to do? download the most logical files and try them all???

dave w
11-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Hey Dave, Still watching?
I got the V8 in and running good. 350 from a 1993 Chevy G20 van, computer and bits of the harness all cobbled together. The engine is not a radical build, new from top to bottom, a roller cam replaced the flat tappet, new heads as the old were cracked. Headers and dual exhaust, "salad bowl" on the rebuilt TBI and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I took care of all the nuts and bolts, now it's time to tune. Which files do I need to go with RT for this engine?

In my signature is the link to the build thread, it's a novella that hasn't been finished.

Edit- I should have posted this as well-

edit again-
I found this,
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?336-16168625-PCM-Information-E6

another edit,
I found the bins, none labeled for me exactly.
The donor had a 4l60e w/ a 3:42 rear, my safari is also the 4l60e but w/ a 3:73 rear end.

final edit-
The question, what to do? download the most logical files and try them all???

I'm still watching.

The files I posted are from a V8.

The .bin file with 3.42 gears will be close enough for a starting point.

The 16168625 link has the TunerPro files you need (.adx, .xdf, & bin).

dave w

WoodButcher
11-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Thank you.
All that remains for me is the *X!!*@#& cable. It was made for me by a guy at astrosafari. It won't install on my netbook for tuner pro but works with datamaster, I don't get it. I've reloaded the drivers more than once and the latest software.... I'll need to read the whole thread on it. The cable installs on my desktop but not my netbook, hmmm, maybe if I get a long extension cord,,,:laugh:

It could be that I have windows home premium 7 32 bit on the netbook.

Thanks again Dave, I appreciate your time.

dave w
11-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Maybe the TunerPro Settings need changed?

Maybe Device Manager / Com Ports needs the driver manually updated?

dave w

WoodButcher
11-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Thanks Dave, that may help w/ RT but for some reason today when I gave datamaster a shot in the van I kept loosing the com port. DM always worked for me at least to monitor and record but I think vibration took it's toll on my cable. I sent RobertISaar a PM about getting another.
Have you seen many issues with conflicting software and or drivers with tunerpro?
I'm giving thought to reinstalling the OS, 64 bit if the machine would handle it, which I think it may. I put win 7 home premium on it because it was given to me and the machine is very limited as to the memory, 4 gig is all it will carry.

dave w
11-10-2014, 03:52 AM
I have / use older WinXP laptops, no issues.

Maybe try buying a used XP laptop. The last XP laptop I purchased was $60.

I purchased my ALDL cable several years ago from http://www.aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp before gearhead-efi.com was a website.

dave w

WoodButcher
01-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Using datamaster I got the new cable connected and still the same story, I'm getting a "lost com" error but this time I did notice "trans" in the message.
I wonder if has something to do with the fact that I am still running the trans from the V6? I used the ECM from the 350 and the harness is also from the V6 lengthened where needed and re wrapped. Both trans are the 4l60e and all seems to be running well. I'm pretty sure I'll need to have the computer link, aldl cable working before it will pass the emission police.
Would a loose plug into the trans housing be causing this?
I'll attach the file I was able to save tonight, maybe you could point me in the right direction.

This weekend I plan to spend a bit of time on this to see if I can't get Tuner pro up and running. I simply need to sit in the truck within range of my wireless to read the tuner pro thread and install I think. I've printed the instruction, put file on the flash drive, left them till I have an opportunity then when I do finally get to it I'm lost. "lost com" LOL, that's me...:laugh:

dave w
01-02-2015, 06:03 AM
I think most of the DTC's are EGR Code 32.

Attached is the screen shot is from the playback of the jan1.uni.

dave w

WoodButcher
01-02-2015, 04:04 PM
The 32 isn't the lost com issue that I need to deal with but I sure could use a little info on that too.
When I re assembled the truck I cleaned an tested the EGR unit, (tested for operation with a hand vacuum pump) and it seemed ok. I see that the reading goes to 100% when I get on the gas, is that not the way it should operate?
Also it never set the SES light, I wonder if that is not related to the lost com issue. I found in my files one that is named "trans.uni" I'm sure that was used with datamaster when it was run with the V6. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the error.

dave w
01-02-2015, 06:44 PM
I am limited to what I can help with when using Datamaster to data log with. I'm also limited with what I can help with when using TunerPro RT. With Datamaster, the help I can provide is playback a .uni file and show a screen shot of what I'm seeing. I have not used the "trans.uni" feature of Datamaster, sorry.

dave w

WoodButcher
01-03-2015, 03:31 AM
No problem Dave, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help you have given already.
Hopefully I can get RT up and running tomorrow or Sunday if life doesn't interfere.:doh:

WoodButcher
06-28-2015, 03:34 AM
Well alright then,
I finally got around to fixing the lost com issue. The added hotwire from my alternator to the battery causes the disconnect. A friend mentioned the possibility of an added ground being a problem and it dawned on me.
Next step is to get TunerPro up and running. For the life of me I can't find what I'm missing, I've printed the instruction and had that in hand while attempting to datalog, no soap. Next time I'll bring the wife's laptop down while trying to connect so I can search the forum at the same time. My netbook is so slow with the web I'll grow old and grey waiting to connect.